F1 2010 Is the AI too easy?

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Name me one sim game that has good AI.. Can't name one to be honest :)
- iracing; no AI at all
- rfactor; AI sucks and is on rails
- race 07; rocket accelerating AI, slow as a glacier in corners

With the above I think the F1 2010 AI is pretty awesome as you can actually race them :)

I have to second this, Rfactor AI is terrible. Depending on the track/difficulty the AI will qualify either fairly slow, or impossibly fast, and then during the race they are very slow and cumbersome, and dangerous, most corners in tracks provide overtaking opportunities and in some cases you can pass a whole pack in a single corner. Before you bash this game compared to others, realise that the AI is likely a lot better than the games you're praising.

I'm the biggest fan of Rfactor, and i mostly play offline against the AI, but the enjoyment for me comes from driving the cars.

Thats right. The AIs are better then the other sims. I have just one problem with the AIs. They are quite slow. Or i dont know... My first race was the Bahrain GP. I didnt know the track very well, but after my first qual, i was in the 10th place with the lotus... At the round two, there was rain in Melburne, i got the 5th place in the race... Every driving help was turned off, and the AI setup was legend. Is it realistic? :) I think not too much. :) Its a nice game! It is. Really. But i think it has some really annoing thing. Codemasters didnt promise something like this. They promised a full realistic sim racing game, but it isnt. I think the simulation of the whole f1, the paddock, the garage, the engeneer and so on are quite good. I like these things very much! To drive a car, and take a ride on the tracks and the track are also very nice. I like them all. But when i can overtake in a corner where the overtaking is impossible normally, i dont know its a little bit depressing for me. It is the same whit the other things. There is no clutch, cant see the start light, cant start manuali just semi automatic... I mean you push the gas, and the race starts anytime, but you dont know when, cant see anything from the cockpit view, there is no way to set Field Of View or the cam position in the cockpit, there arent any usefull mirror, and so on...

So these little things make me a little bit sad. :)

Personally I don't really care about the start. At least we players now have a start as good as the AI. In most games the AI can make unnatural good starts (rFactor, Race series) so I'm glad we have a fair chance now :)

About the mirror, you can look left and right to watch your mirrors (though quality is quite low).

• Robert Bruce Thompson

I find the AI to be good so far, I am no total sim racer, but I find myself fighting for 10th of seconds. Shouldn't you be able to over take anywhere if the car ahead makes a mistake. I think the only weird thing about the game is a lack of full damage modeling.

If you have been playing sim games constantly for years, I would hope you were learning and not just wrecking all the time. I can't believe people are complaining because they are doing well. I haven't poled or won a race, but then again I have only finished one short weekend Bahrain with the race being only 10 laps. Still came 22nd, bad pit. On to Melbourne now and have completed P and Q and on the grid at 8th still short weekend with 23 laps for race. I ran the race and stopped because it was too long for me today but the best I could get was 7th with 11 laps completed. A hard fight, can't imagine the full long weekend and 59 laps. Hell my leg is so tired.

This might not be a full sim but it is OK its not a total arcade mess, and the AI will kick your ass, especially the leaders.

My game arrived today. Put it straight on to expert difficulty level with legendary AI difficulty. Took a ride in the HRT at Bahrain. Did ten laps practice then straight to quali. No setup tweaking, just slammed it onto the dry quick setup from the engineer. Eased in Q3 and qualified 6th with only on hotlap... In the race i suffered ther audio glitch and pit stop bug and still finished 6th. My quali lap was 1:58.0 and best race lap 1:59.5. So in summary yes the AI is too easy at Bahrain, i haven't done any other tracks or tried a Grand Prix in a faster car to see if the step up in performance isn't as great as it is in real life. I suppose on the plus side at least i didn't win :)

If these ai are as easy as some claims, lets see some videos? My system on amateur they are hard, expert even harder. I have got a pole. My leaderboard time at Monza is still currently 1:23:193 and in the race I can only get to 3rd, but Hamilton. Some ai needs to slow him down or wreck him. Maybe I need to try the HRT, but the Virgin it is really hard to place.

i dont know... i feel the ais are slow for me, but not just for me as i see. Maybe it is caused by the crack or i dont know... ( i play it in illegal because i wanted to try it before i pay for it... ).

Can I ask have you all only tried AI in Bahrain? I havnt got the game yet :( (14 more hours till local Tesco opens) The reason I ask is that on various other forums I have read things like;

"....but the AI is crap at Bahrain"

Implying that it is not crap at other circuits, just Bahrain which unfortunatly is the first thing a player would experience.

Ta,
Dan.

Hmmm just a theory. Bahrain's layout for the F1 2010 GP was changed (extra northern loop was added compared to 2009) and maybe the AI was optimized for the F1 2009 game (old layout). The newly added twitchy tight corners are the areas where the AI is slow right?

In my version in bahrain ais are globaly slow.
Last with the torro rosso i got the 7th start pos, and won the race...
The race was 50% legth all aids off, ais are legend, and the controller was a g25 :)

It is the same in Melburne but as i said the trac was very wet on the race.

On the Codemasters forums from what I can gather its mostly people with the PC version that say the AI is too easy and Consoles are neutral/hard as it should be such as;
Yep, good old keyboard. Some corners are a bit tricky to get but i can still kick the ai's ass
smile.gif
))
but then with consoles;
on the 360 legend is damn hard
and
I'm a good 5 seconds off the pace in my Virgin.
Also about Bahrain;
its not that easy imo but they looked (at bahrain) they braked quite early
Cant wait for tomorrow when I can see for myself on Xbox

Dan.

Ok done the Melbourne race, same settings as before, aids off, legendary AI etc. This time it was much more difficult, i only qualified 15th. My race was 30% length again, i started on prime and did a long stint to avoid the pit stop bug. Switching off some options on my soundcard seems to have stopped the audio glitch jerky graphics so i had a clear run and no spins or major mistakes for the whole race.

The AI was very entertaining to race against, defending their position well, falling over each other in battles and generally the feel of the game was much better than Bahrain. Finished 11th, a few seconds behind Kubica and the final point. More telling though was the gap to the winner of 30 seconds. In such a short race that is quite a margin. So the AI is more promising at Melbourne.

Moved to Malaysia where quali was wet and ran around 10th again, not done the race yet but it seems Bahrain is not a good track for the AI.

Well I have been playing the xbox version for the past five hours. Expert difficulty, legendary AI, no assists, fanatec pwts. And I have to agree with those that say the AI is too easy. Seven year career I chose Lotus and in my first race at Bahrain I finished sixth in Q2 but didn't get a decent lap in Q3 so started tenth on the grid. 50% race distance, bad start dropped to thirteenth, carved my way through the field up to third but then got the pit stop bug when I pitted came out last so quit the race. I haven't tried a race at any other tracks to work out wether the AI is just particularly bad at Bahrain. A little disappointed that it's not more of a challenge but the AI behaviour is much better than most other games I play. I still like the game and I'm sure I'll get enough of a challenge with the guys I race with. And I'll get in early before people attack the leader boards. Managed to get the sixth quickest time at Spa in the wet :cool: It won't last for long but at least I can say I did it lol.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back