PC1 Is Project Cars realistic?

Some aspects are simcade; driving in the wet is too easy and damage is very forgiving.
It must depend on the mod and track your racing because in the race i was hosting at Road America it was very slippery when track temps lowered to 74 degrees F. with only light fog conditions using the Lotus 78 Cosworth. I can only imagine the challenge with rain thrown instead of fog. The extant of damages are also depedent on the car mod as some manufacturers only allow minor damages!

It must depend on the mod and track your racing because in the race i was hosting at Road America it was very slippery when track temps lowered to 74 degrees F. with only light fog conditions using the Lotus 78 Cosworth. I can only imagine the challenge with rain thrown instead of fog. The extant of damages are also depedent on the car mod as some manufacturers only allow minor damages!

Fist off, man the Lotus 78 is great fun, first time I've driven it. I'm no alien but didn't have any issues in full rain (at Imola) and no assists, not very realistic.

With damage I've hit the wall lots of times at high speeds and kept going like nothing happened. Thats in the formula cars which are fictional and have no manufacturers.

• Deleted member 113561

Fist off, man the Lotus 78 is great fun, first time I've driven it. I'm no alien but didn't have any issues in full rain (at Imola) and no assists, not very realistic.

With damage I've hit the wall lots of times at high speeds and kept going like nothing happened. Thats in the formula cars which are fictional and have no manufacturers.
Are you sure you had full damage on?

In the Formula B car, you hit the wall a bit or another car and you will get a lot of aero or suspension damage up to the point where a wheel is lost.

You don't know anything do you?
I actually race here in the clubs with Pcars. I really enjoy it. Why don't you contribute here and join in? No? Too busy trolling?
Get over yourself and move on.

Youre the only one trolling and bashing in the PCARS Forum - and there it doesnt matter if you drive in RD Club or not. Outsiders just need to check your previous posts and then its all very obvious.
Im wondering what are you doing all day - are you bored?

I have only played with a few formula games. The oldie but goodie F1 challenge 99-02, the f1 2013 and 2014. Of Course PCars Formula A. I have always looked for realism or what feels like. I decided to stay with PCars that I chose not to buy the current F1. Why should I settle for something that feels less just because they hold the license? I love PCars Formula A handling and the track renditions.

Bottom line is that Pcars, like AC, like R3E, is a lot of fun if you like Racing Game/SIM. There is no need to choose, they all can be enjoyed for their particular strength. If you are a fan of that game genre they are all good enough to get a grin on your face.

Bottom line is that Pcars, like AC, like R3E, is a lot of fun if you like Racing Game/SIM. There is no need to choose, they all can be enjoyed for their particular strength. If you are a fan of that game genre they are all good enough to get a grin on your face.

You are right no matter what you choose racing games are a lot of fun, I compared some footage on Youtube of real BMW M3 GT's racing around Nordschleife and some big name racing games and even though they sound similar, the real cars ride a lot rougher over the track than the games cars, but take the corners more cleanly IMO. Either that or since the drivers lives are on the line they don't push them that hard.

The real cars don't seem to slide on the corners like they do in racing games but take them just as quickly, but I guess that adds to the fun of racing games even though it's not that realistic.

I enjoy project cars, it is a strange one though the cars behave in a believable way but the fact you don't really need to tinker with setups would suggest it is not simulation orientated.
I disagree totally. The default setup will get you around most tracks well, however, tinkering subtracts seconds from lap times. I used to wonder how the aliens can run 1.45's at monza with GT3 cars when I could sometimes barely break a 1.47

Then I started tinkering and found I could get lower times. Of course, I drove a lot too. Setups are very important if you want to race at the front. JMO.:thumbsup:

I disagree totally. The default setup will get you around most tracks well, however, tinkering subtracts seconds from lap times. I used to wonder how the aliens can run 1.45's at monza with GT3 cars when I could sometimes barely break a 1.47

Then I started tinkering and found I could get lower times. Of course, I drove a lot too. Setups are very important if you want to race at the front. JMO.:thumbsup:
I was probably a little disingenuous in my original quote. I think it's more to do with you can't really get a setup wrong, yes you can find time via the settings but the operating window is a lot narrower than RF2 for instance were you can completely mess a cars handling up via setup whereas Pcars that does not appear to be the case.

I agree with both of you. Well said to you both.:thumbsup: I think some people believe there is a magic setup that transforms your times. Setups are important for maximum efficiency, if you will, however, miles upon miles have to be logged to truly understand the car. Same with the track.

The game isn't a hardcore simmer, but it is extremely immersive. Immersive for me, is the defining word. I hated and loved the game. Now I just love it, but it does still annoy me.;)

Swagg

Yes Pcars is easier, but not less realistic than main stream sims. But it is great fun to use and get the most out of. Some of you gents should join up here and race Pcars in the race club. Great fair and fun races.

its not about wich game or sim comes closest to reality cause the fact remains that it would never ever be reallistic. U can spend thousands on your rig but it will not make it more reallistic, it will how ever add to the immersion of course. The sims that are considered to be hardcore just simulate more inputs and effects then the sims that are considered to be simcade. Does that make them more reallistic ? u could argue that it does but that isnt perse true. At the end of the day its still just a program on your machine sending out a screen display and outputs to your wheel.

It all depends on what youre after. If ure like me then sim racing is not about the search for the most reallistic sim out there. Sim racing for me is about pushing a car and track to its limit while racing side by side with others. Physics and ffb wise it should be "reallistic" enough to convince me im actually driving the car but it is not my main focus. When u reach a point where u know how a car should behave when pushed to the limit and you got your driving techniques down u will find that its fairly easy to jump from sim to sim because they all behave quite simular.

If ure really into hotlapping or spending hours on a setup trying to find those last few tenths, then i can imagine u want to go with the more hardcore sims as they do a better job of simulating setup changes and the effects they have on the behaviour of the car.

I drive project cars, rfactor 2, iracing, rre3, f1 2015 and asseto corsa and i enjoy them all.

Last edited:
everyone has his own prefs and pers experience same as wheels and manufacturers. I so think though, looking at articles across the world in different languages and race drivers testing different games, not bein bias, u will be surprised how many think AC is better than pcars, pcars better than RF2, and so on...but 100% agreement in on pcars graphics, weather and AI being above all other racing games out there! when it comes to feedback/ handling/ physics...thats where experience vary hugely! from testers, racers to real life race drivers.

AI being above all other racing games out there!
better in being inconsistend, rather blind and slow ? :)
I have no problems with pCars (I`m using it as replacemenet for GTR Evo, relaxing, more fogiving Forza like racing .. to be honest exept audio visual department GTR Evo is better), but I could give you 3 - 4 other sims with better AI .. :)

yes please do let me know, I know what you mean, believe me I started tons of thread on the official pcars forum, before i got hate mails/ pm's there by fanboys, I think with me just having moved to PC platform and not knowing what is out there and what AI is capable of, have maybe jumped the gun. i played a lot of PC (good old microprose days) but then deployed/ overseas for over 10 years, so i got into consoles (either to take everywhere) so got used to that and not many racing sims/ racing games on consoles. at least proper ones, until pcars on consoles. all ears, let me know since i am getting into all the PC games now, new and old.

biggest problem i still have with pcars, again coming from consoles, is their FFB per vehicle and being able to adjust global FFB to how personally you feel is good and how a car feels...i just don't get it how that works and how that is realistic or fantastic...i spent hundreds of hours on FFB but never got the BMW Z4 GT3 to feel and drive like in real life....?!??!?! not sure how people do it...i gave up on pcars FFB system! (absolutely ZERO from SMS studio, in regards to help or handbook on FFB system)

better in being inconsistend, rather blind and slow ? :)
I have no problems with pCars (I`m using it as replacemenet for GTR Evo, relaxing, more fogiving Forza like racing .. to be honest exept audio visual department GTR Evo is better), but I could give you 3 - 4 other sims with better AI .. :)

I could give you ten without, the AI is okay, could be better but all games could do with better AI IMHO.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back