PC1 Is Project CARS a simulation? lets vote!

Ye, but that is still the same track that are being used today, and thus in the game I think is the point trying to be made.

Exactly. The track layout by every source I've read is that it's the same today as it was in 1983. The bypass wasn't temporary, but the new track configuration.

We maybe trying to make the same point, but something is being lost.

But what´s the point? I assume, that the handling of the old cars were better than in AC, because they made some incredible lap times. And some guy want´s to discredit these times instead of questioning the handling of the cars in AC:roflmao:
And some guy (i guess) was driving a 6.08 on Nordschleife with the C9. So it´s possible, but i still don´t think, that this cars were that squeamish. Alien-Times in AC should be a lot faster if the physics-model is accurate.

Last edited:
the bypas was temporary cause of building GP strecke .. I wasn`t making point against your point :) .. just giving some background of that record I`ve recently red about .. never said it is not valid .. comparing to todays cars is hard, 956 was extremely light with high downforce and lots of HP .. SR8 has 690hp per tone, 956 about 100hp per tone more (and max speed advantage).

Andino: in last 10 months I have only 52 hours in AC (much more before 0.9.something version) part of it is, that I`m not huge fan of how cars handle (but I wouldn`t consider physics to be not realistic or harder to drive than real life considering limited feel of a car underneath you) .. :) and I`m not even gonna bother comparing real lap times with any game as a proof of some kind of reality :)

Last edited:
the bypas was temporary cause of building GP strecke .. I wasn`t making point against your point :) .. just giving some background of that record I`ve recently red about .. never said it is not valid .. comparing to todays cars is hard, 956 was extremely light with high downforce and lots of HP .. SR8 has 690hp per tone, 956 about 100hp per tone more (and max speed advantage).

Andino: in last 10 months I have only 52 hours in AC (much more before 0.9.something version) part of it is, that I`m not huge fan of how cars handle :)

No, the 956 wasn´t officially that fast and there are rumors, that the car of Bellof had some air-flow adjustments, which made it app. 200 PS faster in this qualifying. Behind Bellof and Gerhard the rest of the field was about 6:30 i read somewhere and Bellof made an accident during the actual race. About two years after he made his last accident which causing his death by trying to overtake his opponent in a part of Spa Francorchamps in which i would never overtake, just before the Eau Rouge where you drive a second to the left and steer to the right. So he was a maniac.

Since i bought AC in January, i have 256 hours on my Steam-Account:p

Well I have been racing sims for years and I am really enjoying this. The variety of cars, different classes and tracks. The fact you can dive straight in and drive your favourite cars. Dont have go through some stupid points system to be able to drive the cars you have paid for. Looking forward to more cars and more tracks. This sim has a great future. Long may it reign!

Well I have been racing sims for years and I am really enjoying this. The variety of cars, different classes and tracks. The fact you can dive straight in and drive your favourite cars. Dont have go through some stupid points system to be able to drive the cars you have paid for. Looking forward to more cars and more tracks. This sim has a great future. Long may it reign!

Exactly like the Shift games in a way after applying "the unlock all cars cheat". ;)

In my opinion, the game is a sim by most people's definition. I suppose many people have different criteria. I think a modern sim should have realistic and accurate physics model preferably as detailed as possible, good FFB, ability to adjust vehicle settings in the same way that real life cars would, proper racing rules, immersion factor, and probably a few others I can't think of right off the top of my head. Telemetry data and a good career mode is a nice bonus too. PCARS checks all the blocks here, even if you don't necessarily like the way some of these things have been implemented or might still need work, its certainly more of a sim than any standard arcade style racing game. Much the same way we all likely prefer one of the other modern sims on the market for various reasons, each developer of these games has its own vision of how they wanted to make their sim so its hard to fault any of them for this reason alone since they can't all be exactly the same and none of us would want that either.

IMO if they introduce:
1. Option to save multiple setups for cars/tracks
2. Get rid of Auto-Pit and allow us to pit manually
3. Proper replays for broadcast and importantly post race analysis (eg. penalties, controversial moments etc)

Amen to all this!! Auto-Pit is apparently going to get removed at some stage, or at least it was hinted that this might happen.. there was naturally a huge outcry when it was introduced (yours truly one of the most vocal!) but the explanation was that their pit crew animation system (which is being overhauled) got all messed up if the players hit the 3D dudes.. which I personally think is such a silly excuse. They could just have added clipping to them, like in iRacing. I absolutely loathe the auto-pit. It's horrible.

Then I will vote it as a sim - for now simcade but still very enjoyable to drive

.. but NONE of the above has anything to do with it being a sim or not. Heck by your definition iRacing and AC were even more simcade than pCars at their release simply because they were (and still are) missing a lot of stuff outside of the actual car simulation/physics.

So yeah, lets get real shall we? This is the death of the simcade moniker if people keep diluting it further into the absurd.

Does the track rubber in though? or is it a standard setting cheers

It gets rubbered in. Don't remember the percentage or the calculation but it was moderately simple.. something like X amount of cars drive this line here = X amount of added grip % +/- heat which affects how the rubber sticks somehow. As far as I remember there were some elaborate plans of making it more complex but was ultimately left for the future.

Remember, Slightly Mad Studios are they guys who first introduced this technology to any simulator in their GTR games.. so yeah, it's kind of obvious that this technology would be here as well (it was present in both SHIFT games as well).

In my opinion, the game is a sim by most people's definition. I suppose many people have different criteria. I think a modern sim should have realistic and accurate physics model preferably as detailed as possible, good FFB, ability to adjust vehicle settings in the same way that real life cars would, proper racing rules, immersion factor, and probably a few others I can't think of right off the top of my head. Telemetry data and a good career mode is a nice bonus too. PCARS checks all the blocks here, even if you don't necessarily like the way some of these things have been implemented or might still need work, its certainly more of a sim than any standard arcade style racing game. Much the same way we all likely prefer one of the other modern sims on the market for various reasons, each developer of these games has its own vision of how they wanted to make their sim so its hard to fault any of them for this reason alone since they can't all be exactly the same and none of us would want that either.
I agree

.. but NONE of the above has anything to do with it being a sim or not. Heck by your definition iRacing and AC were even more simcade than pCars at their release simply because they were (and still are) missing a lot of stuff outside of the actual car simulation/physics.
So yeah, lets get real shall we? This is the death of the simcade moniker if people keep diluting it further into the absurd.
Agreed but for the purpose of this particular poll I just felt it did not justify full thumbs up as a sim. And don't get me started on iceRacing and AC which have their flaws - however they are benchmarks imo:
1. iRacing for the multiplayer and of course race license system etc (if you into the 'simming is my life and all else does not matter' ethos)
2. AC physics just feel more believable with certain cars and tracks, but I hardly drive it because the mp is not right and the AI woeful - when I feel like hot lapping I go there but it's lonely...

Honestly on the edge pCars sim driving for my level (slowish but experienced) like my times in LMP1 are in the 1 minute 45 seconds region around Dubai Autodrome (my track where I work and have driven/photographed since 2007 and know quite well) I feel it starts to feel like Arcade when on the absolute ragged edge or something is not quite right at those speeds, but then I have never driven an LMP1 around there....

Having said all that I just feel that GTR2 set the benchmark a decade ago, but honestly I do not feel any sim developer has taken it much higher that that. I find it still a total blast to run GTR2 (apart from the jaggies) and honesty imo the high speed driving is more believable around Dubai Autodrome in GTR2 than pCars at this stage.

But in closing I am still having a really good time with pCars... despite the glaring shortcomings

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 284 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 40.0%