Is it worth it to upgrade my current setup?

Hi everyone! I'm a big Assetto Corsa fan, and simracing has been my hobby for years! Currently, I play on HTC Vive in this setup:
  • PlaySeat Evolution
  • Logitech G25
  • Thrustmaster TH8A
I'm thinking of a next step this year. My current wishlist is as follows:
  • PlaySeat Sensation Pro
  • ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5
  • ClubSport Steering Wheel GT
  • ClubSport Pedals V3
This entire setup would cost me around 3.000€ where I live. Owners who went through the similar upgrade path, was it worth it? Do you recommend anything else? VR is my only way to play btw. Let me know your thoughts and thank you fellow sim racers! :)

How much would a osw or accuforce cost you?
I have a G27 and I took a Quick look last year on the fanatecs. Yes, it's a world difference because the wheel is so much faster! Like when you are in a drift and you let the wheel go to catch it again, the Logitechs are way slower than real cars would be!
The fanatecs are really good, but still "toys".
But what I read and see about direct drive wheels look like a real car! So much details and insane speed while spinning!
If it's 4000€ for a osw or accuforce and 3000€ for the fanatecs I wouldn't hesitate to drop the fanatecs!

Upvote 0
I'd recommend the OSW route too. Skip the PlaySeat Sensation Pro and get a 80/20 rig, it's lower cost and just a stronger more adjustable platform. Fanatec pedals are decent enough so not a bad match for an OSW setup, but Heusinkveld Pro pedals are a lot better, so see if it they fit within your budget.

If you have the means and opportunity to skip the mid-level gear, go high-end now, you'll only this once and you'll be glad you did.

Upvote 0
Except you are really found of playseat esthetics, and when i see the price of a playseat sensation pro (almost 1400 € where i live), i think it's a good option to consider aluminium profiles cockpit (for instance, take a look at www.jcl-simracing.com or sim-lab.eu) ; they cost about 500 € without the bucket seat, that you can shop elsewhere from 300 € to 500 € (and this price range, you can get something really nice, for instance i bought mine for 120€, because you just don't need FIA homologation for something that remains static do you ?).

In the end, you'll get a cockpit that is more evolutive than a playseat (because it's made of aluminium profiles and you will easily be able to custom it to your needs) for about 400 € to 600 € less ... So half the way to switch from Fanatec to OSW/Accuforce.

Best regards

Upvote 0
System integration, the buttons & paddles & shift lights on the steering wheel being fully functional, is the reason I would not immediately choose an OSW. This is what Fanatec brings to the market that is lacking in the OSW choices. Fanatec will have a direct drive base on the market in 6-9 months if you're willing to wait.

Overall, though, replacing the G25 is a worthwhile endeavor, even if you just went with a Thrustmaster wheel.

Upvote 0
Convert a Fanatec rim over for OSW use with a Whopping 12$ teensy board. Shifters/LEDS and buttons taken care of...Ya you'll need to source a QR adapter or replacement, but that goes for any OSW add on Rim and you DONT have to fork out 200$ for a Q1R. there are FAR cheaper solutions out there for the budget minded OSW racer.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Fanatec's offering being able to compete with a LEGIT OSW build.

Upvote 0
Convert a Fanatec rim over for OSW use with a Whopping 12$ teensy board. Shifters/LEDS and buttons taken care of...Ya you'll need to source a QR adapter or replacement, but that goes for any OSW add on Rim and you DONT have to fork out 200$ for a Q1R. there are FAR cheaper solutions out there for the budget minded OSW racer.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Fanatec's offering being able to compete with a LEGIT OSW build.

I'd imagine the Fanatec DD wheel will be competing with the Accuforce. So not quite OSW performance, but not miles off either from my understanding.

Upvote 0
OSW solution looks very complicated for me. Now, don't get me wrong, I work in the computer industry so I know a thing or two about electronics. But due to the lack of time, I'm looking for something that I can just install to my rig out-of-the-box and don't need a whole lot of tinkering. When I google OSW I land on this wiki and this is the last thing I want to do :) But thanks anyway, I'll investigate more about it!

I also read that Fanatec is doing a DD wheel so I might wait for that. All in all my budget for a total solution will be 3.000€ and I want to spend it all. Thanks for helping me get the most out of my money.

Upvote 0
OSW solution looks very complicated for me. Now, don't get me wrong, I work in the computer industry so I know a thing or two about electronics. But due to the lack of time, I'm looking for something that I can just install to my rig out-of-the-box and don't need a whole lot of tinkering. When I google OSW I land on this wiki and this is the last thing I want to do :) But thanks anyway, I'll investigate more about it!

I also read that Fanatec is doing a DD wheel so I might wait for that. All in all my budget for a total solution will be 3.000€ and I want to spend it all. Thanks for helping me get the most out of my money.

It isn't complicated. Check out simracingbay.com and sim-pli.city. They both do plug'n'play systems. You get the motor and 1 electronics box. Plug in cables, plug in USB and download mmos and you are good to go. If you want I can make a video showing you how to setup an OSW in less than 2 minutes.

For wheels, there are a number of people around who build complete wheels or just button boxes (myself included).

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 357 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years