Is GTR Evolution realistic?

Hello,

I was wondering if GTR-evolution is realist. I am actually playing at this game and I found that it is a very good game but I would like to have the opinion of the RD community who have the opportunity to drive on track real cars !!!

Do you think that the behavior of the cars in the game are identical to the real one ? In reality, I think about the behavior of the mini or WTCC cars.

Thank you.

• Graydon McKee

The only thing that I'm not quite pleased with in GTR Evo is the graphics. I think they look slightly more cartoonish than in GTL or GTR 2. Especially bright colours are a little wierd. Grass for example. It doesn't look very real or alive.

You have time to look at the grass? I must need to do a lot more practice because I have a hard enough time remembering my line to the next corner....

Just my thoughts. The closest to real life racing for me is a few laps of test in a Formula Opel/Vauxhall many years ago but anyway...

Seems like some posts claim that GTR Evo GT has better grip than GTR2 while others claim the opposite :)

I'm average when it comes to GT cars in GTR Evo. Been driving a lot and a few relections so far about GTR EVO:
  1. When I try to make a new setup, I start with the default. After a lot of tweaking and better laptimes I reach a point where I can't go faster and is quite happy. That is until the aliens drive 3 seconds faster :) At that point I'm desperate and try to tweak my setup again without luck. Then I'm REALLY desperate and even try i.e set the rebound to max and then to min level, or some other setting to it's boundary. Then things are happening....NOT! My laptimes are still the same, no matter the setting! Feels like changing the setup in GTR2 makes you feel a difference. Changing the rebound like above doesn't change ANYTHING in MoTeC by the way.
  2. If you enter a turn in the same speed lap by lap without problem, and another lap just slightly too fast. As soon as you leave the race line you have lost your grip for ever. Doesn't matter if you succeed to reduce speed by 100km/h, you never gain traction again in that corner. Let's say that you can drive through a corner in 150km/h and outside the race line in 100km/h. If you then try to drive 155km/h and lose grip, as soon as you realize you're driving too fast the only option is to try everything possible to reduce the speed and you might even succeed to go down to 50km/h, but still you don't have any grip in the same spot as where you drove 100km/h before. Just can't be real life true?
  3. I don't need a game/simulator as close to real life as possible. But a game/simulator where you can make a difference with your setup and quite a good feeling would do it. I like GTR EVO lesser every day now :(

When I try to make a new setup, I start with the default. After a lot of tweaking and better laptimes I reach a point where I can't go faster and is quite happy. That is until the aliens drive 3 seconds faster :) At that point I'm desperate and try to tweak my setup again without luck. Then I'm REALLY desperate and even try i.e set the rebound to max and then to min level, or some other setting to it's boundary. Then things are happening....NOT! My laptimes are still the same, no matter the setting! Feels like changing the setup in GTR2 makes you feel a difference. Changing the rebound like above doesn't change ANYTHING in MoTeC by the way.

I personally prefer the setup changes in Evo, chasis setup is a subtle bussiness and after a certain point is purely down to personal preference. The FFB system in Evo is very tactile and i find that I can feel the subtle differences in setup 9 times out of 10.

If you enter a turn in the same speed lap by lap without problem, and another lap just slightly too fast. As soon as you leave the race line you have lost your grip for ever. Doesn't matter if you succeed to reduce speed by 100km/h, you never gain traction again in that corner. Let's say that you can drive through a corner in 150km/h and outside the race line in 100km/h. If you then try to drive 155km/h and lose grip, as soon as you realize you're driving too fast the only option is to try everything possible to reduce the speed and you might even succeed to go down to 50km/h, but still you don't have any grip in the same spot as where you drove 100km/h before. Just can't be real life true?

I feel this must be down to driving style, It is very easy with a correctly setup car to regain grip offline and to be able to feel when you have achieved this. remember there are many factors that contribute to this feeling of no grip, Race07 as GTR did replicates dynamic tyre wear and temperature. The most important factor of motor racing is the tyres, they are always the limiting factor on performance. losing traction for even a very short time and sliding will increase and widen the temperatures accross the tyre resulting in a situation where the tyre is no longer performing at its peak, this coupled with the likely off-line nature of where this tends to happen means a significant drop in grip. Drawing this effect graphically would not produce a straight line of grip loss but actually a very steep curve, which I feel justifies the feeling in game. Over driving cost more time then driving steady pace on line, something I feel is well reflected in the game.

I don't think GTR is my idea of 'properly realistic' as far as graphics goes, but it more than makes up for it with reliability / online game play.

I used to play Test Drive Unlimited all the time, but whilst it had some amazing graphics the game was buggy as hell.

So far GTR Evo seems to fit well for me, I was hesitant after the demo, but it has all panned out.

• Rich Cookson

Yes sadly Codemasters have the rights to F1, I think theyre bringing out a new one, and yet again they will say how much effort they are putting into make it a sim, but I bet my bottom dollar they will mess it up for us Sim people - it's a real shame. F1 99-02 was the last true one (totally ignoring MODS).

• Andreas Ronnback

I had the prevelige to race against Tony Richardsson, he is a top driver at the Swedish Porsche Carrera cup and i kicked hes ass at Spa few years ago....
Hrm Hrm...... =)

Yes sadly Codemasters have the rights to F1, I think theyre bringing out a new one, and yet again they will say how much effort they are putting into make it a sim, but I bet my bottom dollar they will mess it up for us Sim people - it's a real shame. F1 99-02 was the last true one (totally ignoring MODS).

I know you ignored mods in this case, but rFactor + CTDP06/MMG07 is 10 times better than the latest official F1 games.

Gotta agree with Dave Gardners post from earlier.

If you have ever driven anything on the loose or a rear drive car, it seems it is VERY hard for developes to make oversteer seem realistic.

In the Race games, you do get more oversteeer than you could in GTR, in GTR you got it and spun, simple as that. UNless you were an alien and could work with it.

In Race, in the 320 and some of the GT cars you can slide a bit if you can "sort of feel" the slide.

The ebst for sliding are Caterhams, you can provoke the tail with these and thus turn into a slide and really almost feel whats going on, maybe its coz you can see the wheels I dont know, low grip tyres aswell maybe.

3000 cars have aero grip which is always hard for me to feel as I rarely drive the 3000's,

I think they are close with RACE, but you will never be able to produce that bum feeling that instinctively makes you KNOW you are sliding, its all about visual feel on race GAMES, remember guys these are games!

• lavjaman

You can make a homemade simulator if you are agile, and desperate. Look at this hungarian guy: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5TknWau1BA[/media] :clap:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 133 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 71 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 141 13.9%