1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Is GRID Autosport a bit simmy?

Discussion in 'GRID Autosport' started by Billy Pilgrim, Jul 4, 2014.

1. I've read reviews of this game on the big video game sites (they're pretty good) but I'd really like to know what people who are more into sims think of this game.

Is it a sim? Is it less, or more, simmy than -say- Forza or the GT series? Is it as simmy as rFactor, or is it more NFS?

I'd love to know what you think.

2. its not a sim at all. but thats not -exactly- a no. i would class it as simcade in that it aspires to give you the 'feeling' of real life in a way true arcade games just dont even pretend to. however, its apples to oranges if compared to any racing sim. if you have played the F1 series, id guess most sim racers would class that as simcade, at least a notch below a sim; this is a notch below that.

i was initially a big hater, but ive played it a bit more & feel like i 'get it' now &, disgusting as i think their 'cockpit view' is, may even buy it now. i find myself flicking to it when i just want to throw an arbitrary car around a shiny track against AI (graphics are surprisingly good for a title that didnt come out on next-gen consoles; maybe as pc simracers we just have a low bar lol). AI btw isnt that great, but the game does have that triple A shine & optimization our destitute friends in the sim niche can't match.

sounds are samey and generally terrible from my limited experience & the cars (at least the street cars that i have some knowledge of) are given performance attributes that might as well come from a parallel universe or something. not talking about the physics or top speeds/whatever here at all here, just how they stack up against each other based on the ratings codemasters gave them doesnt measure up to real life much at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Inside Sim Racing said it's on par with Gran Turismo and Forza for realism. I've not played a GT game since the PS2 era and haven't played a Forza game ever, so I can't say much about that, but I own a bunch of Codemasters games and I'd say that Autosport is more "simmy" than GRID but a bit less "simmy" than F1 2013.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  4. I feel it is right in the middle of sim and arcade.

As long as you switch off all the Aids, you can go fast... but overdo it - too much cornering speed or hitting the throttle on exit - and you will spin out. Brakes are vicious too, and will lock up easily.

[I'm playing with a wheel on the PC BTW]

For me, the game is fun. I play iRacing / Assetto Corsa etc., and they are not fun to me... too much like "hard work".

If you are lucky, there will be an Ai difficulty which is just right for you. If you do, you'll find strong, competitive Ai, with 4 or 5 cars all doing laps within 5/10ths of each others times, and zero rubber-banding. This is unlike Gran Turismo or Forza, where the Ai and racing engine is so bad (eg. chase-the-rabbit in GT6), that racing is just a joke.

I find Grid A/S to be THE most satisfying and fun "track racing", I've ever had in a video game... on a par with F1 2013 and Dirt 3 in their respective disciplines... although, I realise that the physics cannot be regarded as truly "sim-like".

For me, it's a compromise... and a good one !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. William Wester

William Wester
    Premium Member

Sim...no, not even close! Racing game...yes. Fun if you are looking for a racing game.

• Like Like x 1
  6. i really, really dont believe GT or forza are as arcade (but id like to hear). i think grid autosport is only simmy in the sense that it aims to give you the immersion of a simulation but without any of the complexity & hassle. thats not a judgment against it, i think its just true.

as said above the priority is on making racing fun & accessible, not recreating real-world cars or properties (ie physics).

codemasters applies the same concept to the F1 series tho its definitely got more sim features & more attention to detail due to its much narrower focus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Grid Autosport is probably the most fun racer I have driven and I have driven many over the years. It's not a sim as it's not in depth enough but it's far from arcade either. I love hte handling of te cars and the tuning options are just enough to dip your toes into and make a difference with the way the car handles but not so much that you need a degree to understand them and a day and a half to set the car up how you want. They got it just about right in my opinion :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I think its about finding what fits you the best, There is room for all, The die hard sim guy the combo sim/game ie grid and the arcade racer stuff. We should encourage any because they all eventually end up at full sims and Its how must of us started! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ouvert

ouvert
    Premium Member

not at all :) it is pretending to be simcade ... it has some mechanics you would expect to see in sim/simcade but it just can`t do it right ..

for example tire wear (present only in endurance series .. so technically no other series/classes could attempt to be called sim) .. there is a tire wear implemented in endurance series but since endurance races has only few laps (endurance right) it is scaled down .. so after 2 laps your tires are worn to 60-80% and your car starts to behave "like a boat" (not loosing grip when on limit) .. so you could try to drive more conservative and save your tires and than the AI will be bumping you drifting through corner full of joy (still in endurance series) .. ok lets pit and change tires (you are almost half way through race (3th or 4th lap) so why not) ..wait no pitstop on endurance series ... nevermind .. yes could be mine driving style (which causes no problem at all in any other sim with tire wear even when race is scaled to few laps) or maybe it is just poorly made mechanism ..

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  10. Exactly this.

The issue I have with this is that it doesn't have as much lasting value as a proper sim. I could turn a thousand laps in RACE and GTR2 and still keep on improving, while here once you learn how all the drive layouts (F/R/4WD) work it starts to feel like a grindfest. FFB is a bit weak and the setup settings don't do much.

Still, for an offline racing game I'd recommend it for sure. The AI will race you well if you know how to place your car on the track and give room just like you would against real people. Much better than any AI in a sim I've driven.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ouvert

ouvert
    Premium Member

if you are in front of someone it shouldn`t be about thinking where might AI go and staying of ideal raceline just because AI wants to brake late and take it with little drift but you want to have faster exit cause of long straight ... AI is one of worst I`ve seen ... to be fair I`m talking about AI when game was released .. haven`t try it after patch .. I`m kind of waiting if modders will fix that game ..

12. I haven't seen this that often and I got the game at launch. If the AI takes a corner with a drift it usually is a mistake on their part and not their normal method. I think you just might be braking a bit too early, which I can understand seeing as though you can't really feel whether the tires will lock up.

13. ouvert

ouvert
    Premium Member

my breaking is OK and tires are not locking up and I`m faster through corners/sectors .. nor i have this issue in any other sim I play (I know this is not sim but still...) .. what I said was about cornes that requires sacrifacing entry speed to have maximum speed on exit to long straight .. that you can si how AI is not capable to react to your driving .. it just ram you in their preseted race line .. as long as you take different line it is ok .. they run half a car in a front of you and stays way behind on corner exit ..

14. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium Member

I would say Peter is dead on accurate. And for those of us who, albeit only console peons (j/k), have actually organized a league and had about 5 races, this one they call Autosport rank up there with ANY...(at least on the console), including Race Pro, for immersion, feeling, handling, etc. I would say many of us feel our races so far rank up there with the best we have had in general. I know mine have...whether front or back. They give you just enough incentive to tinker with the settings but really make you focus on the track and the car, which they have rendered wonderfully, for the 360 (slightly better for the PC I hear..and you guys have all the mods and fixes anyway). I could rag on the Codeis for days about what they screwed up on, bt when it's just you and the car and a bunch of buddies similarly motivated, there is, I daresay, none better on the 360. Maybe Race Pro, but the strengths there (handling, tuning) are counter-balanced by the strengths of Autosport (immersion, graphics, the "alive" feel of the tracks, and the track selection.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. For me with ABS off I had difficulties understanding whether or not I was locking up under braking: no real cues. So I decided to leave ABS on, and the strange unclear floatiness I was experiencing sometimes during cornering went away.

Cars brake a little too effectively, but other than that GAS does a good job of giving you a game which rewards taking the correct racing line and balancing the car, just like any "real" sim. I'd say realism is a notch below Gran Turismo, but what GAS does very well is AI which are a much better challenge than pretty much anything else available on a console.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rob

Rob

It's interesting you mention the braking. It's very uneven. Some cars, especially open wheelers and high end sedans and even some low end ones like the Cat C Tourers, brake like they have F1 brakes and lock up on a dime, but others, like the Japanese Super GT and the Brazilian Stock Cars, have a very smooth and even braking. I think I'll try to put ABS on in practice if I experience anymore of that skidding because it's entirely unrealistic.

17. :confused: Robert you mustn't get drawn in to the dark side of assists ;)

• Haha Haha x 1
  18. Rob

Rob

That's true. Just crank that Diff and Spring up!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dunno about simmy but there is some requisites for arcade titles this miss.

Rubber band effect. It´s not very pronounced in this game at all. I was running an endurance event just waiting for the AI to loose all grip and let me win on the last lap. I lost a couple of places on my really worn tires instead! - sim

Steering is optimized for gamepads but it does work quite well but yes this is arcade.
    I can´t map my separate usb pedals correctly - arcade

hard as heck - simulation

I am getting owned like crazy in endurance with a crappy mclaren at brands hatch on hard. This should be my forte :(. Hockenheim I struggled too but if everything whent my way I could have gotten 4th. Seriously need to choose series where I can adjust the setup it looks like to be competitive. And you actually need to practise to win races unlike GT 5 or ridge racer or burnout paradise. There is actually physics you must learn.

Previous race in an open wheeler went better for me however still did not win easilly. But I should not be able to drive open wheelers fast at all.

20. I can't agree with that. The handling is far more forgiving than GT and Forza. It is barely more realistic than the Dirt series but on asphalt and definitely feels like the same engine. The way the car rotates in an oversteer situation is very strange - like a hovercraft.

• Agree Agree x 2