Is DTM Experience just as crappy as R3E?

Ricoow

Premium
Well the question says it all, R3E feels way too arcadish when you are used to AC and just doesnt feel like racing. (TC, ABS, No Setup)
I bought DTM today but have not yet received the code from RD, (which is not the problem) but I want to know if I wasted my cash on it and how you guys feel about R3E compared to DTM\
First Experiences were kinda terrible ;)

Is it being sold as simulation? I always accepted it as a racing experience (both R3E and DTM) and from my time with it I'm more than happy. It's no secret the FFB needs work and it is being worked on as we speak.
I'm loving the single player DTM and look forward to more series and not being a big fan of MP myself I've been surprised how much more time I've spend online with DTM (alpha) than anything else.

I know some people play single player and I guess each to their own but personally, I think the core of any sim/experience racing game is in it's multiplayer. So far, what I've seen in the DTM alpha, it's looking good and with a few tweaks, taps of the hammer and some small turns of the screwdriver, we'll have [another] fantastic multiplayer racing platform
f1.gif

I'll try it again today. In honesty I can do a lot of setup without tire temp's but big mistakes can be made when you don't know what's happening there. I'll try to get the driving right and enjoy that. Thanks to all for the ffb info, I won't expect much in trying to change it.

An absolute basic and crucial setting in racing\sim racing and it's not included in R3E\DTM-E. It actually worries me that the R3E\DTM-E engine may have been built without this setting and adding it at a later stage (if they do) is not going to be the same. I think it's strange that if the R3E engine does have a tyre temp setting it wasn't enabled in DTM-E.

Fingers crossed they fix this for the 2014 release.
Tire temperatures are implemented, they are just not being shown ingame yet:

Well the question says it all, R3E feels way too arcadish when you are used to AC and just doesnt feel like racing. (TC, ABS, No Setup)
I bought DTM today but have not yet received the code from RD, (which is not the problem) but I want to know if I wasted my cash on it and how you guys feel about R3E compared to DTM\
First Experiences were kinda terrible ;)
Do you remember the first release with AI in AC? Did you rate AC as crap at that point?
Or how about the way the AC cars jump around in MP (DTM WIP much better), does that make it crap?

Both Kunos and Simbin have proven themselves in the sim racing genre, I have confidence in both producting great sims again. I am pulling for both.

Last edited:
Did quite some laps this morning with DTM, drives better than the default car IMO, also found the Get Real setting for no (or weak?) driving aids.

But no I do not know the release of AI in AC. I do know AI are quite aggressive and ignorant though. I might have been a bit too quick with my judgement on R3E, but IMO it seems like R3E is available quite some time already and I expected a whole lot more from it due to vids i've seen.

It is really a awesome game . I think I am a DTM Pilot . Great immersion
Thx Simbin for the game .Graphic is so nice . Sounds incredible from Swingman view but not pefect in Cockpit view (Maybe its my surround Headset ?)
I think the best sounds are from the swingman view but not bad at all in cockpit (using wireless headphones - Corsair Vengeance 2100) - they just tone down some of the sounds as they should I guess.

I simply don't care about MP. Don't have the time and nerves for that.

DTM-E for me is a very good game. Graphics are nice and smooth, the driving is to my liking, the soudn is incredible, I regard the AI as very good. But then... I can get over the fact, that there are no Pitstops, but what it ruined it for me is the adaptive AI. Either I'm too fast or too slow. That's no fun.

There are simply no options to customize the AI strenght and so are all the positives that I see in this game worthless to me.

It's an utter shame, because I love the DTM-series and bought the game for full price at release day. Since then I am waiting for an AI-strength slider... :cool:

Other than that I very much like where SimBin is heading with their licences. :)

Once multiplayer if available for DTM (soon!) I would suggest taking a dip into the online waters. I was similar to you as the stress of negatively affecting someone's online race was usually why I avoided online BUT racing real racers instead of AI is much more satisfying. So far, from my experience with the multiplayer WIP alpha DTM online has been very good and the collision system very forgiving. I wasn't taken out or me taking someone else out with just little taps, you could lean on others and race door to door. The "club" races are specifically for having fun and not taking online as serious as the leagues.
If the AI is improved, and I expect they will be, that will be icing on the cake as many times the online races don't' align with the time I have available.

Thanks for the encouragement, William. I have the season pass anyway and will try it.

"If the AI is improved, and I expect they will be, that will be icing on the cake as many times the online races don't' align with the time I have available."

I can't wait. :)

I don't understand the logic of a so called racing 'sim' to omit tire setup possibilities, no left/right differences and total lack of info about the cars your driving (no mass distribution, no info about rpm for max power/torque, ...), no useful telemetry possibilities .
What's the point of changing dampers or cambers without knowing what your doing?
It's all trial and error. Doesn't seem a simulation kind of software.
Must say the graphics and especially the sounds are very good.

And I get skimmed over by @Peter Koch when I ask about it.
I agree that we need more setup info and i do not understand
why a company such as simbin who has given to us race 07 made such a decision .I like r3r and dtm very much after making much efort setting up the ffb the wheel degrees and the appropriate steering lock in my g27 not forgetting to set to full the ffb so all the forces now appear in game. In dtm mp wip i was impressed with the absence of teleporting which is so annoying in AC(alpha) which by the way has a better ffb .
There was a race where 4 cars were so close for 4 rounds going bumper to bumper just like in tv .
The replays are fantastic,i believe in simbin and i wait for the final product.
My opinion is that if you want a correct conclusion you must play the game with the correct settings for several hours and then you will understand that a big game is coming!!!

keep the suggestions coming, if its not in yet, I might get added to the (already very long) list.

Just want to throw this int he discussion, afaik, when you are setting up a car in real life you need to go out and see if things worked. Just a number doesnt give you a result in laptime.

I agree that telemetry might be usefull, but getting a good setup requires trial and error as far as i am concerned.

I'I have NO means to troll. I have NO hate against R3E or DTM. I want to like this game just as much as you do. Im dutch so forgive me for my bad grammar. This is my experience, not based on any facts. pp= personal preference.

I presented myself a 25 euro steam sale gift. I bought The Witcher 1&2 and yesterday i bought DTM for 12 euro's. I started it up with the BMW at the Redbull ring in the get real mode. After i left the pits i raced towards the first corner. I shifted back, started the turn in but my entrance speed was still too high and the car drifted with understeer off track. The strange thing was that i did not feel it coming at all. There was no FFB warning, suddenly i was off track. It felt like racing a front wheel car, but even race 07 gives me more feedback. Suddenly, without any sort of warning the car looses grip, just like in R3E. Now, the problem is reference. I have comparison material as i also race rF2 and AC. With both rF2 and AC there is enough input coming from my steering wheel that it partially replaces the vestibular system. Trough the wheel i feel the stress in the tires, if im below / at or over the limit. This whole feeling is not present in R3E nor DTM. I can imagine that R3E and DTM would race great if i would not have raced rF2 nor AC. When racing R3E/DTM after AC or rF2 it feels like going back 10 years. The cars float over the road, instead of having contact with the track.
I truly hope Simbin will be able to develop more feedback. They have the best car park (pp), best track (pp) and best sound (pp). I do hope they will give the handeling a boost (pp)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 319 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 449 39.2%