Is DTM Experience just as crappy as R3E?

Ricoow

Premium
Well the question says it all, R3E feels way too arcadish when you are used to AC and just doesnt feel like racing. (TC, ABS, No Setup)
I bought DTM today but have not yet received the code from RD, (which is not the problem) but I want to know if I wasted my cash on it and how you guys feel about R3E compared to DTM\
First Experiences were kinda terrible ;)

I re-installed R3E today and tried the DTM "beta" or whatever and did a few online races. I've always been lost in the R3E menus but continued on. I never felt like the car was totally under my control, mostly the ffb [which I have not adjusted yet] was responsible as I felt nothing, nothing other than a "steering pressure" that didn't help at all. What irritated me the most was that I couldn't find tire temp's, how could I make a decent car without that info.

Now, I have a 5 year old PC and I really thought the demo ran nicely. Framerates could have been higher but there was no big stuttering. I don't know how my machine would cope with the "real" game when I hear about guys with i5's and the latest gpu's having problems.

Are all the DTM tracks short and tight? Give me an open road!

I re-installed R3E today and tried the DTM "beta" or whatever and did a few online races. I've always been lost in the R3E menus but continued on. I never felt like the car was totally under my control, mostly the ffb [which I have not adjusted yet] was responsible as I felt nothing, nothing other than a "steering pressure" that didn't help at all. What irritated me the most was that I couldn't find tire temp's, how could I make a decent car without that info.

Now, I have a 5 year old PC and I really thought the demo ran nicely. Framerates could have been higher but there was no big stuttering. I don't know how my machine would cope with the "real" game when I hear about guys with i5's and the latest gpu's having problems.

Yes Dennis, most of the DTM tracks are tight. In fact, most are tighter than the R3E tracks.

Not much of a fan of the menu system myself, find it all a bit confusing but I guess it's something we'll get use to. Having no problems with FPS and graphics here. I5 + GTX660oc. I do only run my sims @ 1600 x 900 or 1920 x 1080 depending on how it looks on my TV.

GSC @1080p
AC @ 1080p
Race 07 @ 900p
R3e/DTM @ 900p
rFactor 2 @ 1080p

I bought GSC and DTM at the same time four or five weeks ago.

I've spent maybe 60 hours with GSC, and about four hours playing DTM.

I've got a beefy pc with SLI GPUs so DTM runs not nearly as well as GSC. As well as that though, I don't really like the handling much, it's not very simmy I find.

On the other hand I wonder if the tight racing with the ai might be quite good in DTM. But then I haven't spent enough time with it to be sure.

What irritated me the most was that I couldn't find tire temp's, how could I make a decent car without that info.

An absolute basic and crucial setting in racing\sim racing and it's not included in R3E\DTM-E. It actually worries me that the R3E\DTM-E engine may have been built without this setting and adding it at a later stage (if they do) is not going to be the same. I think it's strange that if the R3E engine does have a tyre temp setting it wasn't enabled in DTM-E.

Fingers crossed they fix this for the 2014 release.

I don't understand the logic of a so called racing 'sim' to omit tire setup possibilities, no left/right differences and total lack of info about the cars your driving (no mass distribution, no info about rpm for max power/torque, ...), no useful telemetry possibilities .
What's the point of changing dampers or cambers without knowing what your doing?
It's all trial and error. Doesn't seem a simulation kind of software.
Must say the graphics and especially the sounds are very good.

And I get skimmed over by @Peter Koch when I ask about it.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%