DiRT Rally Is Dirt Rally close to RBR's physics/FFB now?

I tried both with the imprezza at finland and it felt like i was driving the same car (roughly). Though RBR did feel a little more natural I thought.

Also again, I am apprehensive about the realism of the modification as I very much doubt there were actual rally drivers involved.

Last edited:
As if being a real rally driver alone means anything. CM had Kevin Abbring testing DR before and shortly after it was initially released. The FFB was completely wrong, which is why they had to overhaul it. Kevin must've thought it was ok, because CM thought it was fine too and had no intentions of changing it until a lowly sim racer came along within weeks of it's release and explained in detail what was wrong with it.

I didn't play DR much until Finland came out, but what I do remember of the old FFB was it was plain as day to see something was wrong the moment you tried counter steering. So, just because an actual driver tested it or one of the devs has done some co-driving really means squat if they can't translate their real world experience into the game.

Well considering the whole point of simulation is to accurately model the real world, and that usually requires data to do accurate models, data which most modding teams do not have access to. Which means the mods are ultimately just approximations based on opinions and not cold hard data. That said the RSRBR mode seams to have been developed fairly decently.

Kevin must've thought it was ok, because CM thought it was fine too and had no intentions of changing it until a lowly sim racer came along within weeks of it's release and explained in detail what was wrong with it.

Reference?? or is this just heresay.

Also if RBR is only good because of modding, that mean dirt rally can easily be better if it is just modded up to standard like RBR. At least in theory...

I don't know how much testing on DR Kevin has done at CM headquarters, but I know that he was a guest at one point. So was Liam Doran. But I think the biggest input from the driver's point of view was that from Paul Coleman's real life rally partner, Jon Tucker.

As if being a real rally driver alone means anything. CM had Kevin Abbring testing DR before and shortly after it was initially released. The FFB was completely wrong, which is why they had to overhaul it. Kevin must've thought it was ok, because CM thought it was fine too and had no intentions of changing it until a lowly sim racer came along within weeks of it's release and explained in detail what was wrong with it.

I didn't play DR much until Finland came out, but what I do remember of the old FFB was it was plain as day to see something was wrong the moment you tried counter steering. So, just because an actual driver tested it or one of the devs has done some co-driving really means squat if they can't translate their real world experience into the game.

Sorry, it's important to keep all the facts solid when you are posting like this.

CM didn't have Abbring testing it, the way you know from SMS having real racers co-dev the game etc.
Also, the "lowly simracer" wasn't so "lowly" and made the video 2 days after DiRT Rally was released on Early Access, so claiming CM had no intentions of changing it, well.

The Force Feedback patch was released as patch 0.4.5 and Finland was released as 0.8. One in June/July and one late in September.

While your basic post is correct, that a real life driver doesn't equal great game, the rest is fairly off.

If that's the case, that's what I'd expect from it:
1. A rally school. I found it really useful in RBR to perfect techniques.
2. Open Rally maps where you can test your cars freely.
3. Longer stages. (2 and a half minutes long stages are a joke)
4. Many more different stages.
5. A deeper and harder career mode. Right now, you can buy any car very easily even if you perform badly.
6. A decent damage system.
7. Fixed car weights. Cars in DR feel paperweight in comparison to RBR.
Keep physics last. Even though I want them to be better, the game needs more content to be interesting long enough.

so finally tried it for myself.
when I bought RBR I sucked at it, it was way to complex for me.
at that time played some racing game, but only with full aids...
I grew and since 2 years I try the "sim way" no aids, all by myself....
enough for the background.
with dirt I have sometime the strange feeling, that there is a "helping" hand, when the car is in the allmost right place, and i do nothing to obvious wrong, I magically come around the corner allthough my experience tell my that I had to stuck in the ditch or what ever.
there are some of that moments in dirt.
RBR my only concern is, it looks compared to Dirt a bit flat not real enough.
My driving with RBR is just me, no hidden magical hand or tabel to gues were I am, all is calculated on what im doing (at least i feels that way), and with Dirt I dont have that feeling.
I enjoy driving RBR but love to look at Dirt Rally.
please make a crossbreed from both.
Forgive my crappy english, Its not my native tongue

Sorry, it's important to keep all the facts solid when you are posting like this.

CM didn't have Abbring testing it, the way you know from SMS having real racers co-dev the game etc.
Dunno. I do recall his name being mentioned as far back as the beginning of May last year. I guess it could just be coincidence he started playing the game so quickly. Maybe he was browsing Steam one day and was taken by surprise that CM released a new rally title.

But, perhaps he had nothing to do with it prior to EA. Fact is they still had at least one (or more) drivers try the game out and give their opinion.
Also, the "lowly simracer" wasn't so "lowly" and made the video 2 days after DiRT Rally was released on Early Access, so claiming CM had no intentions of changing it, well.
You got me there. I was quite positive I used quotes around lowly, it turns out I didn't. Sorry Betta Lines!

As for their intentions on fixing it. Lee's word seemed pretty solid when he was at CM, him stating that the time they used to fix the FFB came from the time they allotted to community requested features and improvements. Meaning they didn't have time already set aside beforehand to fix it because they had no intention of fixing it. If they intended to fix it from the start, they would've had a certain amount dedicated to it, but they didn't.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/85966/#Comment_85966

The Force Feedback patch was released as patch 0.4.5 and Finland was released as 0.8. One in June/July and one late in September.
Not sure what that has to do with anything, as I never said the FFB wasn't fixed until the Finland update.

While your basic post is correct, that a real life driver doesn't equal great game, the rest is fairly off.

Again Reference?? Cause at the moment this appears to be just heresay, or it it too much to ask for people to back up their claims with actual evidence.

Again Reference?? Cause at the moment this appears to be just heresay, or it it too much to ask for people to back up their claims with actual evidence.

Again?

After the 0.4 release, and shortly before the 0.4.5 (FFB Update), Kevin Abbring had his first visit to Codemasters, and he gave his view on the new FFB, while he was there.
However, he did not work with Codemasters, he did not test it pre-Early Access, and he did not visit Codemasters before that.[1][2]
Regarding the YouTuber, and his video[3]
FFB Patch[4]
Flying Finland[5]

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 287 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 4 years