DiRT Rally Is DiRT Rally a sim?

Chris

Premium
I love rally, but I've never had time to get into RBR, the old DiRT series were abissmal as were the WRC games. So is DiRT Rally at least more realistic than its predecessors? certainly from the gameplay footage it looks really nice!

People who've played the game let me know your thoughts and opinions before I go giving out me hard earned dosh :) cheers!

P.s. I am aware that it's an early access, so I'm not expecting it to be a fully finished game ;)

I have over 50 hours with DiRT Rally now, and I have to say yes it is definitely on it's way to be a great sim and a fantastic start for early access. The graphics and sound are amazing, and the stages narrow and super challenging.

As far as physics I feel it's already a good base, it just needs some tweaks. Engine braking and braking in general is much too powerful, and while some cars or worse than others, the grip levels are a little too high IMO. I think these are pretty easy adjustments and given that this is the first build in early access I'm pretty excited where this could go. I left sim racing a couple years ago because I just finally got bored with RBR and I'm not really into circuit racing anymore just nothing compares to rally for me. Glad I saved my wheel and pedal setup cause I've been having an absolute blast with this game.

You shouldn't judge the cars too much until you spend some time in career mode, unlock the engine and weight reduction upgrades to bring them to their full potential. The more powerful cars really turn into beasts. I think the Metro Group B feels the best at this stage of the game, you really attack the stage in this monster. To those who say you can't get the car drifting through a hairpin, here is a replay of mine:

You know, i just realized last night that the career mode upgrades for the cars effect them outside of career mode. Basically, if you haven't unlocked it, it wont be available in a custom event. This no doubt is part of the reason why the cars seem slow and the AI seems overpowered. I think its a bit of a mistake really in game design, or at least slightly confusing for the cars to not have their full potential in quick races against AI that have their full potential. Either way, once i unlock this stuff im assuming the cars will come alive more so!

Its a Sim. The developers have said they are simulating the components of the car and road, which by definition makes it a simulation. I suppose the better question is how well they succeeded in simulating these things.

I find it to feel fairly close to real driving, but agree the ffb needs work even with the fix. I also prefer the tarmac and ice.

But the tarmac and ice - combo is somewhat wrong. it cannot be tarmac-tyres on the car, because the grip is too good on the snow, but it can't be studded tyres either, as the grip on the tarmac is too good.

I also cannot feel the weight transfer, whatever I do, I just cannot feel or notice it.

But the tarmac and ice - combo is somewhat wrong. it cannot be tarmac-tyres on the car, because the grip is too good on the snow, but it can't be studded tyres either, as the grip on the tarmac is too good.

I also cannot feel the weight transfer, whatever I do, I just cannot feel or notice it.

Well, I believe its extremely soft tires with grooves in them to cope with the snow. However, the grip levels on Monte feels somewhat strange yes.

Well, I believe its extremely soft tires with grooves in them to cope with the snow. However, the grip levels on Monte feels somewhat strange yes.
I don't know if it matters what type of tire they are really. At some point on an icy, snowy, tarmac stage, you're going to be using the wrong tire on the wrong surface. I don't know of any tire that would give a rally driver the optimal grip on all 3 surfaces. Watching someone in dirt rally go flat out through a stage over tarmac, snow, and ice isn't what I'd call realistic.

But, this behavior isn't exclusive to Monaco. Rain has no affect on handling in GB, not sure if Greece has any rain option cause I honestly haven't touched any of those stages yet. But I wouldn't expect it to be different than GB or Monaco.

That's not to say that those things can't be corrected. But it's going to take a bit of work and so far I don't think anything has been said by the devs on anything other than FFB. Hope they have more than a couple people working on this.

Last edited:
I don't know if it matters what type of tire they are really. At some point on an icy, snowy, tarmac stage, you're going to be using the wrong tire on the wrong surface. I don't know of any tire that would give a rally driver the optimal grip on all 3 surfaces. Watching someone in dirt rally go flat out through a stage over tarmac, snow, and ice isn't what I'd call realistic.

But, this behavior isn't exclusive to Monaco. Rain has no affect on handling in GB, not sure if Greece has any rain option cause I honestly haven't touched any of those stages yet. But I wouldn't expect it to be different than GB or Monaco.

That's not to say that those things can't be corrected. But it's going to take a bit of work and so far I don't think anything has been said by the devs on anything other than FFB. Hope they have more than a couple people working on this.

Yes, rain seems to have no effect on grip. Agreed.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 211 14.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 214 14.4%