Is converting GSCE tracks to AMS possible?

ThatRacingGuy

I drove 88 MPH last night... weird stuff happened
Hi all.

I've been testing our almost released BTCC 2015/16 mod for quite a while now..

But i wanted to try them on some actual British Circuits like @Patrick Giranthon 's Croft.

But when i converted it to AMS And went to load up the tracks so much errors about the Cloudmesh or something popped up... Is this normal? and is there a way to fix it?

Thanks

Well I tried to convert the old rFactor version of "Joux Plane" with rfactor tools... But it still tells me "ERROR: Conversion failed: couldn't locate 'GameData/' or track directory"... Not sure why so far...

Then I tried another rFactor hillclimb, "Beaujolais", and it works perfectly.
Couldn't believe it at first, but I just drove it with a V8 car and it's GREAT.:D
I can't believe this tool does this so easily too.
No bugs, no problems, runs perfectly, and the lighting is MUCH better than in the old rFactor.
I wonder why most people never mention this!!
I had no idea we could convert mods like this!!
Otherwise I would have bought GSCE a LONG time ago!:confused:

Hmmm sooo...
Somebody mentioned the mod Historx on another thread, I think...
Would there be a way to convert this to Automobilista or it's impossible?
This mod, with rFactor hillclimbs... I don't need rFactor anymore. :roflmao:
I'd like old classic cars or maybe 80s rally cars...

Edit :
it does seem that the sun is missing in my converted track.
But! It doesn't do a white square like one of the previous posters though.
It just seems... Missing. lol
I'll have to look into this.
Just find the historx mod on torrents or on other sites, download it, you have to have a copy of GTL...place it into a folder and convert using rf tools. Easy!! I've got it on ams - its amazing.

Ok I've been converting a few rFactor tracks...
They work, but about the sky/sun problem though...
Well these old tracks can use rFactor original skies, which were pretty bad actually...
I know I'm supposed to change 2 lines in the .scn file to get Automobilista sky, but...

The two lines are different...
I'm supposed to look for :
MASFile=CloudsMed.MAS
MASFile=SkyEuroAltHazy.MAS

But instead.. For example, in Akagi Mountain Pass "AkagiDownhill.scn", I have :
MASFile=sky.mas
MASFile=COMMONMAPS.MAS
MASFile=akagi.mas
MASFile=akagi_MAPS.mas

Well I know it's normal, cos it's rFactor and not GSCE... lol

But...
I did try to delete the first two lines and replace them...
But then Automobilista crashed during the track loading...
So I'm not really sure we can change the "skybox" in old rFactor tracks...:unsure:

Last edited:
Yeah its what I was trying to achieve yesterday...use AMS skies in the RF tracks. It can happen, but it'll take more than scn editing I think. I think for you to use AMS skies you'd have to use a AMS skybox...which I've tried - with not much luck. 3d stuff and track editing is a bit beyond me. However if anyone still plays RF or SCE I have about 40 odd sets of skies I made of, Sky01-04 getting rid of all the horrid skies RF had. Just hit me up and ill email you them (I am still moving house and waiting for Virgin to come round and install the internet so it'd be a few weeks)...

However if anyone still plays RF or SCE I have about 40 odd sets of skies I made of, Sky01-04 getting rid of all the horrid skies RF had. Just hit me up and ill email you them
Actually, you made me wonder...
In most rFactor tracks I converted yesterday, I noticed that most of them had sky files in their folder, like
sky01.dds, sky02.dds, etc.
So maybe we can't get AMS skybox to work for them but at least we can change the sky textures, right?
If you mean Hudson's skies, I'd like them, yeah!
I remember I had them somewhere but I think I lost them.
I remember they were a huge improvement over rFactor original skies.:)

Akagi Mountain Pass is a straight RF1 to SCE/AMS port
Oh hmm I was talking about the original rFactor version of Akagi... I downloaded it and converted it with rFactor tools.
But now you're telling me somebody already ported it to SCE?
lol I'm not a native English speaker! waaaaaaaaah:cry:

You can use the AMS moving sky in rF tracks. Can't remember off the top of head but basically:

1) look in an AMS GDB - you need to copy the day lighting section into your rf gdb
(all lines from skyblendunangle= down to nightfogdensity=)

2) look in scn file of a working AMS track. Copy skybox section into your rf track scn, replybox section that is in there.

3) also in scn file, make sure the paths and misfiles are correct. (use a working AMS track for reference).

Along with the other bits you have already mentioned (commonmaps etc) I think that covers it.

You can use the AMS moving sky in rF tracks. Can't remember off the top of head but basically:

1) look in an AMS GDB - you need to copy the day lighting section into your rf gdb
(all lines from skyblendunangle= down to nightfogdensity=)

2) look in scn file of a working AMS track. Copy skybox section into your rf track scn, replybox section that is in there.

3) also in scn file, make sure the paths and misfiles are correct. (use a working AMS track for reference).

Along with the other bits you have already mentioned (commonmaps etc) I think that covers it.

Thanks, I'll try that this afternoon!:thumbsup:

For private use only, Bologna Historic (=Imola).

Added racingline as seen in original AMS tracks, and implemented sky without messing around with all kind of maps.

BOLHIST.jpg

racingline.jpg

racingline2.jpg

This goes back to the whole deal about not publicly releasing other peoples work or not uploading converted tracks to AMS without all of the AMS features, You can still use tracks like this in private leagues or offline but its frowned upon to upload these here at RD. There are other websites where its totally acceptable though, but of course we wont mention those here. ;)

This goes back to the whole deal about not publicly releasing other peoples work...;)
lol ok;)
On a side note, I was right about the sky01.dds files.
I used some of skies made by "6e66o" for rFactor 1 in my converted tracks and it works.
It's better than nothing.:)

I couldn't do what "Keith Windsor" said though.
It's way way too technical, and every track has different files, written a different way, it seems.

Starting to convert some GSCE tracks!:)

Last edited:
lol ok;)
I used some of skies made by "6e66o" for rFactor 1 in my converted tracks and it works.

It's way way too technical, and every track has different files, written a different way, it seems.

If you want to give me a link to one of the tracks you want the sky in, when I get chance I'll convert it & try & put the sky in if I can still remember how, & then outline the steps more clearly.

If you want to give me a link to one of the tracks you want the sky in, when I get chance I'll convert it & try & put the sky in if I can still remember how, & then outline the steps more clearly.
I admit, it could be a great idea for everybody to have a detailed tutorial.
Also, if then I can convert some tracks myself, I would help and give some to people who want them.:)

Well I was still working on "Beaujolais" hillclimb, not cos it's my favorite, but only cos it loads quickly and I wanted to work fast. lol
But well maybe I should ask you a more popular track...
Actually, was Mills Metro Park ever ported to SCE/GSCE?
I think I would be interested to see AMS skybox in that track.:)

lol ok;)

Yeah just place the skies you want in the track folder and bobs your uncle, it will use the skies you want!

I
Actually, was Mills Metro Park ever ported to SCE/GSCE?
I think I would be interested to see AMS skybox in that track.:)

Yes, i idid a conversion about 2 years ago, again for private use as it is from ISI.
Just slightly updated with new textures and TDF-file, but no features like realroad as in AMS.
I will do an update with the AMS skies included.
PM please.

mills.jpg

mills1.jpg

mills2.jpg

LOL thanks Hummer, I had a few failed attempts but finally managed it.

I made some notes and think I can outline what I did if anyone wants to try it, but if you take up Hummer's offer and compare his files with a default version, you can see what needs to be changed.

Look in
GDB (time of day lighting)
SCN (the searchpaths, MAS files, and skybox section)
And finally, look in the Mills folder AND the Mills_Long folder to see what extra files to add (plus the other Mills folders if you want to convert all layouts).

Basically you should be adding two SRPL files into the Mills folder, then a commonmaps file, racegroove & skidhard files to the Mills_Long folder.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 377 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%