1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured Is communication still important for sim-racing developers?

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by RaceDepartment, Jan 9, 2015.

1. BugBear Entertainment

0.5%
  2. Codemasters

1.1%
  3. Image Space Incorporated

8.1%
  4. iRacing

2.7%
  5. Kunos Simulazioni

29.6%
  6. Milestone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Reiza Studios

35.5%
  8. Sector3 Studios (Formerly SimBin)

54.8%
  9. SCS Software

0.5%
  10. Slightly Mad Studios

2.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RaceDepartment

RaceDepartment
    Administrator Staff

Community Management.jpg
    2014 has been a very productive year again for RaceDepartment. For the eighth consecutive year we have seen a steady growth of traffic and, most importantly, a growth of the amount of sim racers enjoying the discussions on our front page, forums and other pages of our website.

According to independent website tracker Alexa.com the web-traffic difference between Gran Turismo giant GTPlanet and RaceDepartment is marginal. And VirtualR, Inside SimRacing, Bsimracing, Nogripracing, The SimPit and SimRacingPaddock are all reputable sim racing websites as well. With the variety of options, communication between developers and users is easier than ever.

However we have seen a very disturbing trend occurring during the last 12 months and that's the lack of developer presence on our forums which leads us to the question:

"Which company provides the best community support on RaceDepartment.com for their games?". In other which developers are noticeably active on our forums.

While some sim-racers don't care if developers notice their posts others other do and put a lot of time and effort into their communication and provide valuable feedback to both the community and the company who's game they have purchased.

While some developers appear to be absent on RaceDepartment.com, some do still give plenty of attention and valued responses to the fans. So let's see just who is doing the best in this area on our website.

Please take a minute of your time to fill in the attached poll (multiple choices are allowed) and discuss your choices in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen
    Premium Member

:D, first read the article! :whistling:

Then vote... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Community involvement is critical. I don't think S3 would've made their comeback without the involvement of their guys on here and elsewhere.

I think what is disturbing is developers maybe falling back to their own forums, iRacing, Kunos, and forgetting about the great fan sites out there.

Then again do you want your sim devs working on a game or supporting the community all the time? It's a fine line and one that may move back and forth depending on your resources.

All said, though, no matter how you slice it, it's always good for company optics to be involved where the community.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43
    Nice apex, I'll take it! Premium Member

Any votes for Codemasters are obvious trolls :roflmao:

• Haha Haha x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I think some people need to make sure they read the poll properly.

Which company provides the best community support on RaceDepartment.com for their games?

I see a lot of votes for Kunos up there but I don't recall them posting here. Sure they provide good community support through Facebook but that's not Racedepartment.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Chris Stacey

Chris Stacey
    Ted Kravitz Appreciation Society Staff Premium Member

I think the RaceRoom devs seem to be the most active here.

Hopefully more devs will realise the mature discussion that can be had at Racedepartment as opposed to their official forums which, because they're the official ones, often tend to attract all the 'crazies', so they're flooded with nothing but rubbish for 99% of the time, so they just give up with the community interaction.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Frank

Frank
    Administrator Staff Premium Member

This, maybe some people see some of our staff as Kunos ;-).

8. Ricoow

Ricoow
    420 Premium Member

There really is no Kunos member on RD? Ain't that a bloody shame...

9. Chris Stacey

Chris Stacey
    Ted Kravitz Appreciation Society Staff Premium Member

@Aristotelis Vasilakos is a member here :)

• Beer Beer x 1
  10. Ricoow

Ricoow
    420 Premium Member

Ahhh Misunderstood :)

11. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Last post July 2014 :)

But worse are Codemasters and Slightly Mad Studios in 2013 and the last Image Space Incorporated employee logged in for the last time in 2012 :)

The latter three shouldn't even have been listed in the poll imo.

Sector3 wins handsdown for me and especially @Jay Ekkel, who isn't even a community manager.

For the wrong reasons a community manager is often placed in the marketing department with a focus only on social media only (Hello Codemasters). With the exception of a few social media is by far the worst place to give support to customers.

In my opinion the role of a community manager is not to work only for marketing but he or she should work on all levels of the organization from top to bottom and back, from the ceo to the tech department to marketing and customer support etc.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Keith_G

Keith_G
    Premium Member

I do own all of the games and depend on the RD members for feedback when there is a problem. From my limited perspective though, Sector3 (simbin) is the only forum I remember actual employees responding to either questions or criticisms from the RD members. They may have had more reason to do so but I was always very impressed that they not only took the time to respond directly, but also took some obvious abuse with better manners that I would have!!
    Not only did they answer questions but also tried to improve their products according to RD members wants, at least within the limitations of what the actual devs (not owners) could do. I know some other companies listen to what comes up on our forums but don't interact nearly as much as Sector3 has. (My opinion only) :ninja: by Bram who is too quick and took the words right out of my mouth!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Sorry :laugh::ninja:

• Haha Haha x 1
  14. Jay Ekkel

Jay Ekkel
    Kylotonn Games

On vacation, 00.46 still reading on RD. just saying :p

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Haha Haha x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  15. Ryan Ogurek

Ryan Ogurek
    Editor / Automotive News Staff

I have to agree with what @Bram says about Sector 3 Studios. They really are setting a good example of community integration.

To @Jay Ekkel and the rest of the S3S team present here, thank you. You have been a help to me personally and many others here on RD, keep it up.:thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. We love ya Jay, and @Mark Reynolds, @Sonat Ozturk, @Georg Ortner and the rest of you guys at S3S that continue to show up and let us know what's new.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Nox

Nox
    Staff Premium Member

This is timely. Just the other day some of us at RD were discussing Reiza's lack of communication here on their official forums, and that it'd be nice if they were more communicative. I mean they do post, but not nearly often enough to let fans know what is happening development wise. And I'd still put them in 2nd or 3rd on RaceDepartment for communication, which kind of says something itself.

From what I have seen, S3 are leading the way on RD for developer communication.

18. Sector 3 studios all the way:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

19. I believe game company have their own official support forum so whether they are active or absence here or not doesnt really matter at all ...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. I'm with you. I applaud S3S contribution here, and as this is also Reiza Studios official support forum, they should communicate here. But why should ISI, Kunos iRacing, SMS and the others provide support here when they have their own forums?

• Agree Agree x 3