Is Assetto Corsa dying?

I just love driving in AC, but hotlapping got old pretty fast. Right now I'm getting a lot of good time with Stock Car Extreme. I don't think AC is dead actually, I just feel that it's gonna take a while before I make it my main sim platform.
I don't like their style of releasing DLCs either, with a few road cars, an old racing one and a track (etc). I think the style from R3E makes so much more sense. And that's not because I don't like content, but because we'll only have a complete category in like 2 years or something.

I think the style from R3E makes so much more sense. And that's not because I don't like content, but because we'll only have a complete category in like 2 years or something.
Yes, exactly my chain of thought.

I was very hostile towards R3E's business model at first, but the more i think about it, the better it getrs. Especially if multiclass racing is a thing in R3E's MP (i haven't looked into that yet) then it's simply the way everybody should handle DLCs in racing sims: Release racing series packs.

Yes, exactly my chain of thought.

I was very hostile towards R3E's business model at first, but the more i think about it, the better it getrs. Especially if multiclass racing is a thing in R3E's MP (i haven't looked into that yet) then it's simply the way everybody should handle DLCs in racing sims: Release racing series packs.

Yeah, I was also hostile and then I got it. It`s like, I play a lot of sports games and of them is called Football Manager and it`s a manager sim (duhh hehehehe). If we only had like 5 teams out of 20 of a particular league it would be fun at the beggining, playing these friendlies, emulating a league, etc. But you can only get a true experience with a full roster.
I don`t wanna sound way too harsh, but I love AC, I want it to be the best sim out there.

Almost 500h with it, lot of hotlaps with Rivali leaderboard, more than 50 clips on my yt, 5 leagues behind, club time attack events on Ring and Lake Louise and since March honestly im not playing anymore.

Thats why:
  • billiard mode (netcode + collision model) in multiplayer (described as NO ISSUE on forum)
  • in consequence problem with repair time in pit (not well balanced) so options: turn damage off, or own car mod to fix repair time and damage level
  • arcadish character of pitstop (you can lead in race and loose all of that because of playing cat and mouse with settings)
  • arcadish race start (Forza style)
  • many basic functionality like stats, results, tire temperatures, fuel usage, distance to opponents, depend on mods, and as i respect huge work of modding community, in long run it's a pain to keep all of them up to date, after every AC update they are broken and need few days to stand up, anytime having AC problem it's up to player to disable all mods and test them again to find that causing problem, it's hugely time consuming
  • kerbs of death (NO ISSUE), really demotivating to race on some tracks like Mugello
  • we've been using PTracker/Stracker + PitLanePenalty, that apps require dedicated server (costs)
  • short list of official tracks, any modded content require again time consuming tests for online usage (bugs like black holes, invisible walls, problem with bottoming ex.URD cars on some, then optimization) only few tracks are on acceptable visual level
It's not a bug list or sth, rather standpoint from person involved in AC leagues from October 2014 to March 2015.

I still love it, and im faaar away from uninstalling but really plan to check it again after some major improvments in online area, instead another DLC. Hope we will see it faster than console version of game.

PS not to mention that AC get older really fast after pC release (sorry for that, have to say it as more players having fun fighting with dynamic road conditions side on side, instead of hotlap character race with fear of any contact and dead weather)

Last edited:
I mostly play offline and this is where AC falls down.I love hotlapping and messing with the set ups,but that does become a little boring after awhile.The physics are great and it looks great also.In fact IMO it looks more realistic than pcars.If they sort the AI I'll be all over it.

I hate to say it but I fear Kunos has shifted focus to console production, they want a slice of the million plus sales PCARS has had. I'm enjoying PCARS on pc until AC come in with an update. I play AC everyday, but only for a hotlap in a Ferrari or a Cobra. Kunos haven't even been bothered to even throw out some quick fixes for those that can't even start the game anymore. The troubleshoot forum is full of critical unhappy faces.

Almost 500h with it, lot of hotlaps with Rivali leaderboard, more than 50 clips on my yt, 5 leagues behind, club time attack events on Ring and Lake Louise and since March honestly im not playing anymore.

Thats why:
  • billiard mode (netcode + collision model) in multiplayer (described as NO ISSUE on forum)
  • in consequence problem with repair time in pit (not well balanced) so options: turn damage off, or own car mod to fix repair time and damage level
  • arcadish character of pitstop (you can lead in race and loose all of that because of playing cat and mouse with settings)
  • arcadish race start (Forza style)
  • many basic functionality like stats, results, tire temperatures, fuel usage, distance to opponents, depend on mods, and as i respect huge work of modding community, in long run it's a pain to keep all of them up to date, after every AC update they are broken and need few days to stand up, anytime having AC problem it's up to player to disable all mods and test them again to find that causing problem, it's hugely time consuming
  • kerbs of death (NO ISSUE), really demotivating to race on some tracks like Mugello
  • we've been using PTracker/Stracker + PitLanePenalty, that apps require dedicated server (costs)
  • short list of official tracks, any modded content require again time consuming tests for online usage (bugs like black holes, invisible walls, problem with bottoming ex.URD cars on some, then optimization) only few tracks are on acceptable visual level
It's not a bug list or sth, rather standpoint from person involved in AC leagues from October 2014 to March 2015.

I still love it, and im faaar away from uninstalling but really plan to check it again after some major improvments in online area, instead another DLC. Hope we will see it faster than console version of game.

PS not to mention that AC get older really fast after pC release (sorry for that, have to say it as more players having fun fighting with dynamic road conditions side on side, instead of hotlap character race with fear of any contact and dead weather)
"instead another dlc".. + v1.2 update. So not just dlc.

"after every AC update they are broken".. that's literally a lie or big exaggeration. There was an update in many months which broke the sounds of mod cars. This update didn't break apps, tracks, skins, car physics. (there was game update to update the physics, but was just to remove obsolete data from the file, this was very easy fix for everyone).

Just wanted to comment on those things.

@Radu Oros OFC You're right, i was simplifying to point that after every update, you have no knowledge what will work and what won't, causing troubles. Typical update before weekend and saturday/sunday event is a question mark. So You can't just launch a game after vacation, and use as it was setup before. Assetto wants you to read forums, check updates (mods) and maintain standby mode as a user.

Interesting how will they manage this going to consoles, AC withouts any add on, sound realistic?

@Radu Oros OFC You're right, i was simplifying to point that after every update, you have no knowledge what will work and what won't, causing troubles. Typical update before weekend and saturday/sunday event is a question mark. So You can't just launch a game after vacation, and use as it was setup before. Assetto wants you to read forums, check updates (mods) and maintain standby mode as a user.

Interesting how will they manage this going to consoles, AC withouts any add on, sound realistic?
Well it is a work in progress game, this was known after v1.0 release out of early access. AC wasn't in development for as long as other sim racing games, so is normal that parts of their tech were and still are in changing. The sound engine fmod was brought in the middle of early access. I know somehow you're comparing AC to Pcars, but the development path between these games is very different. Pcars was built from the ground up to be on consoles and pcs at the same time. Only since recently AC is being built to be on pcs and on consoles. So of course they need to extend apps support to gamepad and wheel controls, and VR. :) and I hope they add extra apps for user usage as default apps, tires info comes to mind, and other toggle-able apps, such as in-race leaderboards, to show different states of times, sector, delta, etc.; pit-stops and presets.

When Kunos will stop developing AC, hopefully as late as possible :whistling:, you will have no need to read forums, check updates, etc.
Developing the main program, for me it's natural that the mods should follow it as well, particulary if there are some changes in the physic sector.

I really miss several racing features and interesting racing cars
the driving is awesome but I still have a feeling that a lot is missing
a lot that won't come anytime soon
that reiza crowdfunding starts looking mighty interesting...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 222 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.3%