Is a Druid holiday like Halloween celebrated outside U.S. borders?

I like Halloween because of the costumes and giving kids candy to eat till they get sick.

Sometime soon, my brother and I are thinking about dressing up as the Mario Bros. for Halloween (my brother is older, shorter and more rotund, so he makes a good Mario; I am younger, taller, and slender, so, I make a good Luigi)

I think this Halloween, I may dress up as a barbarian. But, here, people are not too keen on seeing a hairy guy like myself.

I'm sorry I had to reveal that if I grossed anyone out.

Here in Denmark some people have started to celebrate halloween.

But we also have something called Fastelavn, it's helled about 1 month before easter where people, yousually kids, were costumes and go from dore to dore, and sing untill they get candy, and then gather to beat a wooden barrel with candy in it, and whoever breaks the barrel is crowned "catking" or "catqween", but this is the more moden version of fastelavn.
Up untill the mid 1830's it was a bit different.
The name fastelavn stems from the German word "fastelabend" or in english fastnight, meaning the last night before the fast, witch was 40days and ended at easter, and on this night people, only adults, would let loose and party, drink and eat and beat a wooden barrel with a live black cat in it, it was said that if you killed a black cat it would fend of evil things.
Thats ruffly whats it about
Fastelavn is in other places also refered to as Carneval, I read somewhere

I'm looking forward to Halloween this year. First time in my life that i will be taking a child out Trick o Treating. I'll start with our neighborhood, then my old neighborhood and if wee one is not tired we'll head over to North Vancouver.

I used to do it when i was a kid. No costumes or anything haha all we had as a goal was candy.

I think we had one Scream-mask but that was it lol.
We were organized and everything haha, where i grew up there was maybe 10-20 apartment buildings with 9 or 10 floors so we got "rich" i guess you can say.

Here in the Netherlands the commerce are trying to force us into Halloween as well. Thankfully the majority of the people refuse to follow :)

Those who all of a sudden start to celebrate Halloween are probably the same people who all of a sudden start spending tons of money on Valentines Day.

Waiting when they are pushing independence day on us lol. Or thanksgiving.

druids.jpg

I agree with Bram.
In the last few years here in Oz, kids are starting to come around &, me not being used to it, Ive never got anything to hand out....
They never have any 'trick' to play & they looked so shattered last time when I raced out the back & picked a bunch of loquets (spelling?) to hand over with small bags of chips I had anyway....
Makes me feel horrid not being prepared for it yet at the same time I get a bit shitty about it too as, being a non-dependents guy, Im left feeling Ive got to remember something that never used to be important & has never really been ingrained in our coulture- Thanks a LOT TV!
Halloween & Valentines Day never used to be big here & I look at most of these 'import' holidays as 'Hallmark Holidays' :D
As for 'Druid Holidays....
Bring them on, there's not enough stone circles & remote meaningless cairns strewn about the place to celebrate in a drunken blood lust! lol

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back