Is 5.1 surround sound possible in Assetto Corsa?

Just a quick question. Do any of you have any issues getting AC to output 5.1 surround on your set up?

I'm running Windows 10 with a GTX-780 with HDMI into a Sony STR-DG710 then the Sony outputs HDMI to the TV.

I have an option for onboard optical but read that it was inferior to HDMI.

If I could get real 5.1 from this title I wouldn't care about that.

Have any of you got it working as I only have the option for stereo speakers under Windows sound settings. NVIDIA hd audio is the default sound option.
I've got 5.1 when watching Netflix or Mkvs playing...

Full explanation from NK,

FMOD project is exported in 5.1, but I know some people have trouble hearing 5.1 or 7.1 through headphones or speakers. For example, the engine is in stereo, in the project, and some people can't hear the onboard engine in anything other than 2.0 Stereo
Once Ac implemented FMOD in October 2014, they've practically left it alone, so I don't know if they've actively improved bugs to begin with"

Awesome thanks for the link. It was all so easy back on console. Plug it in and hey presto!
Think it must be my inner geek that's actually enjoying finding out about all this stuff... ;)

Anyway. I went home at about 00:45 this morning to have a tinker and my amp supports everything apart from 192khz sampling rate. No biggy as AC only outputs at 44.1 so far I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.
My amp also handles Dolby Pro Logic, PLII, PLIIx and DTS. Although when I try tests on DD5.1 it is positional 5.1 sound over optical!!!
When I test DTS, which the board and driver give me the option to, I don't hear anything.
I also cannot set the speaker type in win 10 for some reason. So I end up with what I think is actually simulated surround in Dolby from stereo output. And of course the same with woofer on PLII I think.

So board and driver says DTS should be availble. Amp states it can do it too yet tests in win 10 over optical say no...

I'm starting to veer ever closer to a soundcard as I investigate all this stuff.
Hdmi just doesn't give me any options at all with how to set up the sounds. I.e. DD5.1 and DTS are already selected which makes me think that it is possible just I haven't tried a source that actually supports either format which is a bit odd...

I may be missing something yes, hence my queries on here as I'm exhausting the myriad of forums discussing this very issue on Google...

I've now switched from Optical to HDMI and I'm getting a much quieter version of Dolby PLII now...
Is this format even capable of directional 5.1?
I'm really not sure anymore as I have no way of testing my speakers individually in Windows 10. Which is one of my main issues here. I can test them under optical in but even then it doesn't appear to offer the same in games.
Just tried Dead Space 3 and selecting the speaker system in the game settings as 5.1 surround just lowers the volume.
I then put the amp into AFD, (Auto Format Decoding), to test the theory of 'letting the PC decide' and it's stereo with a sub, or 2.1, making me think that Dolby PLII is not actually directional surround at all for games, movies maybe? As the game I'm testing is set to 5.1 in it's own menu, yet my receiver is quite clearly showing 2.1
So I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that games require a sound card for real directional 5.1 sound. I've read this on many websites lately.

Plus, back to the OP, is it even possible in AC? ;)

any updates on this issues? My sub does not do anything in AC.
None of the top racing sims (don't know about iRacing) make use of the .1 channel. Everything you hear in the .1 channel is the result of where you have your crossover set.

Wreckfest, while on the arcade side, definitely makes use of the .1 channel in collisions.

As far as surround speakers go, only rF2 is still in stereo-only.

Automobilista I think is only sim i have has selection for 7.1 Surround Headphonesi

imo rF2 is better stereo because of positional effects
You can tell exactly where a car is beside you, most every other sim that quality is more vague

Also the reverb from travelling close to posts etc.is the best

Also is wind, it actually sounds and feels like it is rushing past outside, other sims is like a static incar sound

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 268 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 179 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 180 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 132 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 236 13.4%