Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyerpng.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM P&G
Class: IROC Porsche 911
Track: Spa-Francorchamps 2004 GP
Weather: Changeable

Practice start time: GMT 19.00 (10 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 19.10 (45 mins)
Warm-up start time: GMT 19.55 (3 mins)
Race start time: GMT 20.00 (60 mins)

Note1: Terrain Patch will be ON

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Sign-up list:

1. Ross McGregor
  2. Kris Leeten
  3. Nils Norberg
  4. Roland Warmenhoven
  5. Hans Sneep
  6. Tudor Morris
  7. Bob Hutchins
  8. Driver
  9. Driver
  10. Driver
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
  21. Driver
  22. Driver
  23. Driver
  24. Driver
  25. Driver
  26. Driver
  27. Driver
  28. Neil Gault

Well these cars take a while to get used to! Not sure I have yet, as I saw some others drive it much more aggressively and get away with it, but I had my fun in them.
Well all in all 9 drives showed up, which is not bad, considering that Spa requires a 30+ field to guarantee you won't feel lonely at some point. Quite a shame that only 5 of us made it all the way to the finish though..

Qualy was practice as well for me, hadn't had any time to test the cars and my time on a default setup was 7 secs away from the REALLY fast guys, which all considered wasn't that bad. 2:55:something

Race was fun, clean start and 1st lap for all.. was running in place Seven-of-Nine :)tongue: any Trekkies around? :)) missed my brake mark for Busstop chicane twice in a row, allowing Kris to pass me. Tried everything I could to keep him in sight for some 7 or 8 laps, until a slight mistake followed by a spin allowed him to get out of sight, never to be seen again during the race.:frown:

It was quite a lonely drive from then on, messed up 3 laps in a row (>> 3 min. laptimes, lost my front splitter as well there) which allowed Kris to take a 30 sec. lead on me. This gap stayed the same for some time, until about 4 laps from the end my Biasply tires gave up on me and I had to slow down my pace (as if I wasn't slow enough to begin with:cool:) and had some more small and bigger offs. Seemed like I was the only one having these problems as the gap to Kris grew to about 1 min, but he didn't gain any positions or anything, and I only just managed to not get lapped by race winner Tudor in the final lap.

All in all it was a very learnful experience for me, cars where quite a handfull but enjoyable to drive, and if I had properly prepared for this event, results might have been better.

Grats to Tudor, thanks to all who were there, and of course to Stuart for setting up this race!

Enjoyed these cars once i'd got the hang of them, but Spa (especially Eau Rouge) was very unforgiving, and i think most of us finished without front bumpers!
I started cautiously, and had to avoid Bob & Erling getting together within a couple of laps. As Bob rejoined ahead he must've spun on the grass/kerbs and right in front of me, but i guess he hit the 'Esc' button to prevent contact. I think i might just have avoided your car Bob if you'd stayed in-game, but that'll be small consolation i know.
The next few laps i tried to chase Erling down, then Nils. Erling DNF'd so i focused on Nils, caught him, but then spun at Eau Rouge leaving my front bumper in the barriers! I was now 4s off the pace per lap so just tried my best to stay on track for the rest of the race!

Wd Tudor, cheers Thommo.

P.s. I had a thought that maybe we could try another event or two with these Porsches in the future, as most of the guys seem to enjoy driving them. Maybe even an IROC mini-series with tracks such as Riverside, Mid-Ohio etc? (Idea 'borrowed' from the GTL Boss series!) I'm not talking about a full-fledged points table or anything, just standalone club events. Just thinking out loud here!

A nice event and a shame there weren't a few more to appreciate it. I've driven the IROC a lot, but never been able to produce a good finish in it until tonight. I qualied 2nd behind Nils but got off the line really well and was comfortably ahead going through Eau Rouge.

I expected to be reeled in pretty quickly as Nils was much quicker in pracci and quali, but maybe my race setup was better as I was able to pull away consistently through the race. I took things pretty steady after the first 5 laps and just concentrated on being as smooth as possible and looking after my tyres which became more and more tricky as the race went on.

Thanks for organising and I hope we have some more of these. A mini series in the IROC does sound good :cool:

...(especially Eau Rouge) was very unforgiving, and i think most of us finished without front bumpers!
1. Yes
2. No :D to my big surprise I didn't have any spin and only 1 small escapade in the sand (drive-through) I must admit I didn't have the pace from the podiumrunners. Most of the time I hoovered round a 2.53 with a pb of 2.51 perhaps because I took it 'too' easy in Eau Rouge, but still it was pretty kinky climbing up that hill.
Great opening lap (it looked like a driving school run that first lap: perfect for opening a 1h stint!) but after a few laps I lost sight of Neil who kept driving away after this (at least I think as it was only round lap 14 that I discovered where the game displays the difference with the guy behind/in front). From there on lonely hotlapping, but I don't mind that when I'm in a Porsche at Spa :)

Things to remember: I definitely need to correct the audio settings in GTL: the advised settings here are definitively a big improvement. Despite this I was still blocking my tyres at almost every brake-point/corner.

The (default) tyres take some time to warm up: on Spa for me it takes around 5 laps.. and they felt at it's best around lap 10. At some point (lap 15) I started to believe my tyres were dread worn, but when I drove a little more at ease it was still very acceptable and I only needed to brake a little earlier to keep myself on the grey stuff.

Great Friday-evening, hopefully some more peeps next time.

Have a good WE,

Kris

22 x sweaty hands at:
950010304_po3vj-O.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%