iRacing to Introduce Single Player AI in 2018...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing AI Confirmed.jpg

iRacing confirm an AI mode in the works for 2018, amongst plenty of other interesting future developments...

iRacing.com, by way of the official members forum, have confirmed plans are afoot to develop single player AI for the simulation, a dramatic shift in direction from what has traditionally been a strictly online only racing title.

Revealed as part of a wider New Year posting by the iRacing staff, the dramatic news of a more traditional AI option within the sim is indeed a very attractive proposition, finally adding that extra dimension to a title that although focussing on online 'head to head' racing still sorely missed the opportunity to take on the cars and tracks in a less formal and more relaxed environment.

Additional highlights from the New Year post include confirmation that the long awaited LMP1 prototype cars should arrive in time for the next season build, and day to night transition should be here as well before 2018 comes to a close.

Exciting times eh? Check out the full post below:

"First of all, Happy New Year to all of our members. We also want to sincerely thank you for your membership. We know that some members are always curious what is next in regard to development. We do try and share what we can when appropriate. Various factors may dictate when we start discussing development on xyz feature, upgrade or xyz content.

We also might not exactly work on what you want as fast as you want, but keep in mind we are developing for many types of racing. The totality of all the “niches” makes iRacing a much better and sustainable sim for everyone. We also believe action speaks louder than words and we are proud of what we accomplished in 2017.

It would be too long for a forum post to cover everything we are working on nor can I talk about everything for various reasons. However, I can confirm a few of the larger projects in the works that we have already discussed publically and spill the beans on a new project.

New graphical and physical damage model. Making great progress on this massive project and we are really excited about it. There are so many different parts to it but getting to the polish on many parts of it. We expect to move it into the testing environment in the coming months and shooting for a 2018 release but as usual no promises.

Dynamic time of day/moving clouds/day to night. Working night and day on day to night and the goal is to release this year.

New Tire Model Version. Already testing locally and we are excited about it, Dave Kaemmer to write about in the coming weeks. Again, should release this year.

New Interface and User experience inside and out of the sim. The new app is now in beta, and members have access to it. The first giant step is to get the new design and application up and working with our new technology to include all the functionality and more of our existing website. We are almost there in that regard. We still have many plans once that happens so it will be a continued evolution over a long period of time. For example, we have much more we want to do when it comes to user-experience, this new system and app will allow us to do that. For example, we want to create an onboarding process for new members including getting them on track with some basic instruction, guided tours, more on-line help, better organization and much more.

Ok, this will be a “shocker” to some. We are working on AI/Artificial cars and in fact very far down the road with the project. In fact, we should release it this year as well. Hardcore folks take a deep breath. We are not straying even the slightest from our philosophy of trying to create the most accurate and detailed simulation we can along with the best head to head racing competition. This has been an isolated project being done by a small team and has not impacted any other development.

However, having this feature will allow for many opportunities for members and for us to continue to grow. It will allow members to practice in a simulated setting before getting on track with real cars which is a good thing, especially for people new to sim racing. It will also allow for a more relaxed and fun format which will be a welcome addition from time to time for even hard-core members.

Now you don’t need to go to another racing game for AI. Ha Ha. It will bring in many new members who will use it as a stepping stone to head to head racing. It allows us to have a much more competitive demo option for potential new customers in various settings like trade shows or even on-line trials. At the end of the day, it is a huge feature and request in regard to the overall market.

It will be a free addition to members and yet another option for you under your membership. If AI not for you, great, but you will still benefit. The work has helped improve our multiplayer net code and player car code which will be out on members about the time we launch AI. We also feel it will help novice drivers and again boost the overall service.

Right now our plan is roll out options of one-off AI races along with a season-long “career” in which you can build your own schedule/series. We have other plans as well down the road to increase the fun factor in regard AI. We likely will roll out AI for a large chunk of the racing including oval and road. Some cars and types of racing might be held back initially because of all the different variables we need to work out. For example joker laps and going over the jumps for GRC. There are many other things like that which we are working on now. The web development side of this is also significant and still much work to do there before we can roll it out. There will be a “difficulty” choice or “slider” option. More information as we get closer will be available.

Alright, well, this is getting long but much more in the works in terms of features and improvements.
As far as content, working on multiple new tracks including road, oval, dirt and GRC and a complete redo of an oval track. Hopefully we will plug away on more tracks. Literally dozens of cars in the works in some form of production or licensing. Including many new road cars and updates to existing road and oval cars. We already shared working on LMP1 cars, you should have those as soon as the next season build. These cars are a lot of work to build! More to come on content and everything else as we move forward. I hope you liked the Chili Bowl Video.

We are expecting another good year, and we hope you agree when the year is over.
Thanks again!"

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

What part of the 2018 iRacing offering are you looking forward to the most? Excited for AI and day/night transition? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
you are the perfect example of the fanboy who does not accept any criticism on iracing ... your table proves nothing quite the contrary example "blancpain serie ultra popular 4700 participation lol: it's 2 split of 32 racer evening Europe time". ..your number shows nothing ... look i can show it to me friday january 12th 8pm 1169 racer in the world lol
8c5007f59d1d3b4cd3bfe1f10066e142ec5135f0.jpg
[/url][/IMG] (not relevant either)
read before putting a little red cross as usual ...:whistling:
You are showing me a momentary number, yet I showed you the statistics for a whole season. Which one do you think is more relevant? Why dont you just wait until iRacing is down for quaterly maintenace and screenshot a page with 0 racers online? I might be a fanboy ignoring your criticism backed by pure bullshit. On the other hand you are a clueless hater not accepting the FACTs.
Im still waiting for you to show me any racing game with higher online participation per car, than iRacing.

I also don't understand why did you spend $600 on something that you don't like? iRacing is clearly not for you, I accept that. But you should have figured this out before you spent all that money.

Last edited:
I like iracings as I like assetto, rf2 and ams, but I do not like the fanboys which accept no critic and which take out numbers which say nothing...
Admits that there are dead series, admits that everything is not completed, admit that it is expensive, admits that the endurance without day/night or no choice of soft, hard,mid tires etc. and without dynamic weather is ridiculous for a "simulation"
you have no critical mind it is sad...:speechless:

I have not tried iracing, but almost exclusively race online, I started with the typical AC online disasters.... but recently have noticed a change in the "bumper cars" online AC experience, I have found some servers to be quite full even being in the US hours (come on US racers where are you!) , but also have raced in three leagues inc. my current league and couldn't be happier, we race at US times and have made a lot of friends and teammates along the way, I am 58 yo and have never played a video game before in my life until building a rig and getting AC. I have been racing AC since 15' and am now on VR, point being I am the target market for iracing w/disposable income, but cannot fathom paying a sub.+ $ for content when you have sims like AC.... I know the eternal debate AC vrs. iracing physics, competition, blah,blah, blah, but also having raced most of my adult life IRL, i can't imagine a sim that is much more "realistic" than AC. iracing is what caught my eye and got me interested in sim racing but the cost seems way off base, they are either making way to much money to care, or there truly is a sucker born every minute. Just my 2 cents.
Cheers

I like iracings as I like assetto, rf2 and ams, but I do not like the fanboys which accept no critic and which take out numbers which say nothing...
Admits that there are dead series, admits that everything is not completed, admit that it is expensive, admits that the endurance without day/night or no choice of soft, hard,mid tires etc. and without dynamic weather is ridiculous for a "simulation"

Fair points, an awful lot of narrow minded people around. I like all sims, Each one has its pitfalls.

iRacing is like a cult... I was once talking about how all sims nowadays lack immersion on trackside action, i.e lack of animated rescue teams, repairs, etc, you know things that actually happen in real life. Someone replied saying iRacing does have it all... seriously... what the hell... :rolleyes:

When you spend so much money on something, it's human nature to blindly defend it.

Damn! I was going to cancel my subscription because I just don't have the time to get league racing right now but A.I.? Hmmm
Also I agree that with all the sims out there iRacing might be looking at the GT launch flop when it was without any single player to speak of. They saw the err of their ways.

I really like this site and the community here but when it comes to talk about Iracing it always gets out of control. There is no other sim which polarizes that much I guess. We got it: it's expensive. On the other hand I haven't found any other sim where I can race online on a regular basis and have clean races most of the time with decent competition and I'm not talking about joining a league for that. But yeah....haters gonna hate. :coffee:

Personally I look forward to the AI addition since I can use all the content I got which is not used online often (because of lack of participation or bad timeslots etc). If they can make as good AI as rfactor 2 I'm very happy.

There is no other sim which polarizes that much I guess.

I agree with your post except this ;), have you not seen pCARS 2 threads, or how every Raceroom thread ever eventually boils down to "It's expensive" as well?

Personally really hoping they do a bit better in the AI department than rF2, on the oval side. Roadside it's definitely a good point to aim towards.

If you choose to implement AI, you better implement AI at least on rF2 levels.
Everything else would be a waste of money and resources and would most likely call the community to go into ragemode :)

If you choose to implement AI, you better implement AI at least on rF2 levels.
Everything else would be a waste of money and resources and would most likely call the community to go into ragemode :)
The NR2003 base game had quite acceptable AI. So they have a base to work on. In fact the AI in NR2003 is still better than modern sims with perhaps the exception of RF2.

The Raceroom AI is also quite good since the last update. But yes, the new AI should be on par with rfactor 2 or Raceroom.
Trust me it's not. The RRE AI might be better than it was but if you play RRE and GTR 2 back to back, you will see a massive difference. Modern sims can't seem to do good AI any more. GTR 2 and Race 07 have AI that is on a par with RF2 if not actually better in my testing and my opinion.

Hmm…haven’t had any issues and also quite enjoyable races against the AI. I’m using adaptive AI which works good imo.
I agree with using the adaptive, that's what I do. But it does not stop the AI just ignoring you if you are on their line. In GTR 2 as in RF2 (and Race 07) the AI actually avoids you, blocks you and races against you.

Anyway, that's just my opinion from testing all lately.
ps, even AMS's AI are not that good and I have some really good races with them.

I agree with using the adaptive, that's what I do. But it does not stop the AI just ignoring you if you are on their line. In GTR 2 as in RF2 (and Race 07) the AI actually avoids you, blocks you and races against you.

Anyway, that's just my opinion from testing all lately.
ps, even AMS's AI are not that good and I have some really good races with them.

Agree. I’d rate the rfactor 2 AI the best at the moment, hopefully Iracing can come close or even surpass it (one can dream).

Would this mean I will still have to pay a monthly fee or will I be able to play using my purchased cars and tracks. I will be very happy to do that, or even have that ability to do that for a small one off fee.

Funny people:
RaceRoom: Exactly the same price/business model (at least we don't need to pay for liveries in iRacing :rolleyes:), but the fanboys hurry to convince the community it's not expensive, that you can buy just want you want, and blah, blah, blah.

Well, with iRacing you can buy just what you want as well, whats the difference?

The difference is: for people around, no matter what, iRacing sucks, period.

@AndyJackson, feel free to disagree again, as you usual do.

RRRE is free to play (unlike iRacing), you only buy the cars and tracks or packs that you desire (like iRacing). If you're paying a subscription fee to play RRRE, then I'm afraid someone is probably taking you for a ride. You should look into that.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 353 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 248 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%