iRacing to Introduce Single Player AI in 2018...

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing AI Confirmed.jpg

iRacing confirm an AI mode in the works for 2018, amongst plenty of other interesting future developments...

iRacing.com, by way of the official members forum, have confirmed plans are afoot to develop single player AI for the simulation, a dramatic shift in direction from what has traditionally been a strictly online only racing title.

Revealed as part of a wider New Year posting by the iRacing staff, the dramatic news of a more traditional AI option within the sim is indeed a very attractive proposition, finally adding that extra dimension to a title that although focussing on online 'head to head' racing still sorely missed the opportunity to take on the cars and tracks in a less formal and more relaxed environment.

Additional highlights from the New Year post include confirmation that the long awaited LMP1 prototype cars should arrive in time for the next season build, and day to night transition should be here as well before 2018 comes to a close.

Exciting times eh? Check out the full post below:

"First of all, Happy New Year to all of our members. We also want to sincerely thank you for your membership. We know that some members are always curious what is next in regard to development. We do try and share what we can when appropriate. Various factors may dictate when we start discussing development on xyz feature, upgrade or xyz content.

We also might not exactly work on what you want as fast as you want, but keep in mind we are developing for many types of racing. The totality of all the “niches” makes iRacing a much better and sustainable sim for everyone. We also believe action speaks louder than words and we are proud of what we accomplished in 2017.

It would be too long for a forum post to cover everything we are working on nor can I talk about everything for various reasons. However, I can confirm a few of the larger projects in the works that we have already discussed publically and spill the beans on a new project.

New graphical and physical damage model. Making great progress on this massive project and we are really excited about it. There are so many different parts to it but getting to the polish on many parts of it. We expect to move it into the testing environment in the coming months and shooting for a 2018 release but as usual no promises.

Dynamic time of day/moving clouds/day to night. Working night and day on day to night and the goal is to release this year.

New Tire Model Version. Already testing locally and we are excited about it, Dave Kaemmer to write about in the coming weeks. Again, should release this year.

New Interface and User experience inside and out of the sim. The new app is now in beta, and members have access to it. The first giant step is to get the new design and application up and working with our new technology to include all the functionality and more of our existing website. We are almost there in that regard. We still have many plans once that happens so it will be a continued evolution over a long period of time. For example, we have much more we want to do when it comes to user-experience, this new system and app will allow us to do that. For example, we want to create an onboarding process for new members including getting them on track with some basic instruction, guided tours, more on-line help, better organization and much more.

Ok, this will be a “shocker” to some. We are working on AI/Artificial cars and in fact very far down the road with the project. In fact, we should release it this year as well. Hardcore folks take a deep breath. We are not straying even the slightest from our philosophy of trying to create the most accurate and detailed simulation we can along with the best head to head racing competition. This has been an isolated project being done by a small team and has not impacted any other development.

However, having this feature will allow for many opportunities for members and for us to continue to grow. It will allow members to practice in a simulated setting before getting on track with real cars which is a good thing, especially for people new to sim racing. It will also allow for a more relaxed and fun format which will be a welcome addition from time to time for even hard-core members.

Now you don’t need to go to another racing game for AI. Ha Ha. It will bring in many new members who will use it as a stepping stone to head to head racing. It allows us to have a much more competitive demo option for potential new customers in various settings like trade shows or even on-line trials. At the end of the day, it is a huge feature and request in regard to the overall market.

It will be a free addition to members and yet another option for you under your membership. If AI not for you, great, but you will still benefit. The work has helped improve our multiplayer net code and player car code which will be out on members about the time we launch AI. We also feel it will help novice drivers and again boost the overall service.

Right now our plan is roll out options of one-off AI races along with a season-long “career” in which you can build your own schedule/series. We have other plans as well down the road to increase the fun factor in regard AI. We likely will roll out AI for a large chunk of the racing including oval and road. Some cars and types of racing might be held back initially because of all the different variables we need to work out. For example joker laps and going over the jumps for GRC. There are many other things like that which we are working on now. The web development side of this is also significant and still much work to do there before we can roll it out. There will be a “difficulty” choice or “slider” option. More information as we get closer will be available.

Alright, well, this is getting long but much more in the works in terms of features and improvements.
As far as content, working on multiple new tracks including road, oval, dirt and GRC and a complete redo of an oval track. Hopefully we will plug away on more tracks. Literally dozens of cars in the works in some form of production or licensing. Including many new road cars and updates to existing road and oval cars. We already shared working on LMP1 cars, you should have those as soon as the next season build. These cars are a lot of work to build! More to come on content and everything else as we move forward. I hope you liked the Chili Bowl Video.

We are expecting another good year, and we hope you agree when the year is over.
Thanks again!"

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

What part of the 2018 iRacing offering are you looking forward to the most? Excited for AI and day/night transition? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Hmm... I don't know what to think about it. I mean, one of the things I like the most of iRacing is that solid online component, which is where it excels...
If I want to race against the AI, I already have marvellous games such as Assetto Corsa or Automobilista.
However, we shall see. It could be a nice feature, and how some of you are saying, it's free.

That's the thing... I also used to race against AI in Automobilista and AC. But now I don't need to buy their next title and their DLC , instead I can spend that money for quality iRacing content. Thanks iRacing. You are the best!

Typical iHater BS...

Don't worry it's all the same plebs that creep out of the wood work, every time anything remotely containing anything to do with iRacing appears on this site.

So desperate are they to tell us their "opinions" on iRacing. Whether we want to hear them or not.

Most of them have nothing to do with the topic at hand, but by god you will hear plenty of crying about subscription fees, or how the cars don't handle......I just mute the plebs.

Their tears, they taste delicious.

giphy.gif

Consolation for some people but not for me. i spent over £400 on iracing and no longer have a membership so can no longer play some have spend over £1000 and cant play...That doesn't work for me, I'll end up spending on new content but cant use it if I no longer afford membership.

They need to charge for online racing and let people use what they paid for offline, and they will maintain a larger user base....this AI business is just to keep some sweet.

Let us own want we pay for and use it whenever we want offline and pay to race online ...

Best online system but with AI they need to stop this i-renting / i-leasing and let everyone stay onboard.

Last edited:
As someone has previously stated (albeit with the usual disagree tick from neysayers and haters) a stand alone version with all the tracks and cars with no subscription wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion. Lets say it appeals to many thousands more Nascar sim racing fans who don't do online racing but they love it and they then have the option to pay a subscription to try the online game. Not a bad idea. And why anyone of the Iracing fanboys would be against this idea would be a mystery because it won't really affect them at all.

Spent hundreds over the several years I subscribed to iracing and enjoyed my time. Then they upped the year subscription cost, added VAT and the pound took a dive against the dollar, and I stopped my subscription.

I prefer racing offline and the addition of AI may tempt me back but I still think they need to address the cost of a yearly sub!

Simple question... right now:

In how many races can you participate in RR? There are barely 400 people online (most of them using the "free content")...so

And rFactor2? 500 online?

And I mean a race with more than 1 driver :roflmao:
snap, hard question, with every single content combination x two simulators and every mod it would be probably few billions

In nearly every simracing or gaming forum there are always complaints, and lots of them, about cost. If it isn't iRacing content and subscriptions it is dlc cost for some other title. I find it a bit hard to fathom.

I do not want to offend anyone here. I know that some people here live in countries where good jobs are hard to find. I have lost a job before and know that there are times when money can get tight. I know that some here are kids who have to convince their parents for anything they buy. But that can't account for everyone moaning about cost, can it?

If you are an adult you need to realize that in every market there are value products and premium products. This is one way companies differentiate their business strategy. In simracing we have iRacing as the premium priced product and Automobilista as probably the best value product. AC, RR, RF2 and PC2 are somewhere in between. The great news is that Automobilista is an amazing sim despite the low cost. It has some of the best handling and ffb, great content and extensive mods all for a low price. So if you are cash strapped you are all set.

It really does no good endlessly complaining about the cost of iRacing. They have a business model that is well established and they are targeting the higher end of the market. Instead of lowering price, they are adding features to add more value. Are there posts in the Porsche forums about how I would buy one if they would only lower the price by 50% and provide free maintenance? If enough of us ask Porsche for that will they give in and sell me a new 911GT3 for $50,000? Should they?

Where I live, one trackday eats up way more money than a year of iRacing and that includes a decent amount of purchased content. Taking my family to a go kart track and doing two short 10 minute races for the 4 of us is like a year of iRacing not including all the content a user might want. We have to make our choices for what value is worth it. If iRacing is too much for you, fine... play something else. Moaning about it helps no one and if you are an adult in a "first world" country it really is a bit embarrasing, isn't it?

Reactions: F_B
@GMcA_74 You disagree with many posts here, but can I ask you in what way would it harm you to have an offline version?
ps, try and answer in a mature way.

So in ur opinion, you should be able to pay lets say $50 for all offline content, and you should be entitled for all future improvements and added tracks and cars for the next 30-40 years? iRacing is an ever evolving project, you can still race the same cars online that you could 10 years ago. This ain't no F1 series where they sell you the same crap every year and call it a new game.
simply put, your fairy tale nonsense just doesn't work in real life.

In nearly every simracing or gaming forum ... and if you are an adult in a "first world" country it really is a bit embarrasing, isn't it?

That post says it all and in wonderfully clear language! We should really put it at the top of every single iRacing thread here at RD in the future.
I have never quite understood what all the money moaning is all about: if someone wants to pay and can, fine, if he/she cannot, really sorry but also not much I can or want to do about it, if he/she does not want to pay, fine as well, but what do I care? All of the money moaning tells me nothing about the gaming experience and that should be what a site like RD is all about, shouldn't it? Dipped my toe in an open server at RRE recently - a game I really like - and after about five minutes I knew again why I love iRacing servers.

Great news, having experienced iRacing and the attention to detail they put in their tracks I have full confidence the AI will be of the highest quality. An offline subscription would not put me off not having to go through the ladder process to get to the cars and tracks you want to race, included updates, and when you consider that committing to the latest version of other sims/games means all the DLC you bought on the previous version stay with the previous version. I'm in, can't wait.

So in ur opinion,
Yes funny enough, it is my opinion. Well done sir. And it's "your" not ur. Whatever ur means.
This ain't no F1 series where they sell you the same crap every year and call it a new game.
simply put, your fairy tale nonsense just doesn't work in real life.
You are darn right this ain't no F1 series because you you are merely renting it and can't play it offline.

Fairy tale nonsense? Come on, stop exaggerating. It would make good business sense. Any way I am not going to argue with you fanboys who have nothing but rant's for anyone suggesting new ideas to make a game more accessible and enjoyable. :rolleyes: Oh and you think Iracing is going to last 30-40 years? What are you smoking?

Last edited:
Don't worry it's all the same plebs that creep out of the wood work, every time anything remotely containing anything to do with iRacing appears on this site.

So desperate are they to tell us their "opinions" on iRacing. Whether we want to hear them or not.

Most of them have nothing to do with the topic at hand, but by god you will hear plenty of crying about subscription fees, or how the cars don't handle......I just mute the plebs.
It's simple, there's iRacing fan boys and there's people that disagree with their business model. Everyone has their own opinion and the right to express it. So deal with it. :thumbsup: And calling people names because they disagree with your opinion is shallow and immature.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 371 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.1%