• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Have a chance to win a copy of F1 2017 The Game (PC) by following RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and / or YouTube.

iRacing to Add VW Beetle GRC Later This Year

Discussion in 'iRacing' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +12,381
    iRacing Beetle GRC.png
    iRacing will be adding the Volkswagen Beetle Global Rallycross Championship car to the service as free content later this year it has been confirmed.

Coming alongside the yet to be released Rallycross portion of the title, the VW Beetle GRC is the second officially licenced item of rallycross content confirmed for the game after the Ford Fiesta WRX revealed during the initial 'Dirt Confirmed' announced back in April 2016.

Although things have gone rather quiet on the Fiesta front, iRacing have confirmed the attractive little VW Beetle GRC car will be coming this fall, and what's more the car will attract no additional cost for iRacing members.

For those of us not familiar with the world of the Global Rallycross Championship, according to the GRC website the cars "roll out of the factory as production models, but receive significant improvements to chassis, engine, and safety features to bring them up to racing spec. GRC vehicles are incredibly versatile; they produce 600 horsepower and can accelerate from 0-60 miles per hour in 1.9 seconds, but are also built to withstand 70-foot jumps and contact with other vehicles. Unlike many other racing series, they also do not feature the aid of electronic traction aids. Ford, Volkswagen, Subaru, and Honda serve as Official Manufacturer Partners of the series".

To help build an authentic experience for iRacing members the developers have enlisted the help of former Formula One driver and 2015 and 2016 GRC title winner Scott Speed.

iRacing.com is a PC racing simulation that hosts large scale online multiplayer racing events.

Check out the iRacing.com sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding the simulation.

Looking forward to Rallycross in iRacing? Happy to see the Beetle added to the sim? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    • Love Love x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. Timmy UK

Timmy UK
    Premium

Ratings:
    +65
    'Free'...
    Ta..x

3. Azure Flare

Azure Flare
    Forever a backmarker Premium

Ratings:
    +467
    What's next, drag racing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tobiman

Tobiman
    Premium

Ratings:
    +172
    Ahum...ok.

5. KaRally

KaRally

Ratings:
    +2
    Great news. I can't wait.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Eckhart von Glan

Eckhart von Glan

Ratings:
    +746
    though personally, i have never gotten round to doing any dirt races in iRacing, free content is always good :) looking forward to which rallyx tracks will go with this.

7. billymitchell

billymitchell

Ratings:
    +53
    So this will require a revamp to the Safety ratings? Car contact is a no-no within official iRacing events.

8. Juliusz Baczynski

Juliusz Baczynski

Ratings:
    +96
    It is bloody great that they broaden their diciplines, like we needed a 1001th oval in a small redneck town nobody even knew existed...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    • Haha Haha x 3
  9. snyperal

snyperal
    Premium

Ratings:
    +81
    This could be interesting, I'm not sure how the damage model will hold up to bumps and jumps though? Should be fun nonetheless.

10. Azure Flare

Azure Flare
    Forever a backmarker Premium

Ratings:
    +467
    I just want to see how fast someone can plow a Funny Car into a wall. I'd sign back up for that.

11. snyperal

snyperal
    Premium

Ratings:
    +81
    I think one of devs commented on a drag racing request thread and pointed out how difficult it would be.

12. Juliusz Baczynski

Juliusz Baczynski

Ratings:
    +96
    Sounds like good idea! :)