iRacing Season 4 Build, Snetterton, Ferrari and UMP Modifieds Released!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing Build Update Snetterton.jpg

iRacing have deployed a new build update and a laserscanned version of the British Snetterton circuit, Ferrari 488 GT3 and UMP Modifieds to the simulation.

In addition to the headline content releases above, the new build today also sees the inclusion of the dirt paved Lanier National Speedway, adding another much needed short oval configuration dirt track to a simulation that is looking to considerably expand its loose surface racing content in the coming months.

Other highlights from what is a rather considerable build update include a new feature that allows up to six different car models to compete in a race session at one time (previously four), further UI and Time Attack developments and some considerable updates to the dirt surface live track variables.

You can check out the full change log below:

Updater
  • The iRacing updater will no longer ask if you want to create a desktop shortcut if it already exists.
Race Sessions
  • Race Sessions can now use up to six different vehicles in the same event.
Garage
  • Bar end displacement has been adjusted for some cars in the Garage UI.
Dynamic Track
  • The visuals for marbles have been improved.
  • Fixed an issue whereby a Lone Qualifying session would trigger an error that made some parts of the track on a client unable to send all updates to the server in any sessions which followed, such as an attached race.
Rendering
  • The number of fixed cubemaps rendered per frame has been reset to 0.
All tracks now have at least one fixed cubemap so the rendering cost per frame will be high. Be sure your system can handle this option.
  • The option, “forceCrowdVisible” has been added to the [Graphics] section of the “app.ini” file.
– – forceCrowdVisible = 0 (Default iRacing.com crowd behavior)
– – forceCrowdVisible = 1 (The grandstands are always full, regardless of event type)

Camera
  • Fixed a bug that accidentally allowed the track camera option “Limited Acquire” to be toggled on for on-car and driving cameras.
Audio
  • New Rumble Strip tire sounds have been created for saw tooth, ramped slabbed, and fine tooth curbs for all vehicles.
  • A new sound event script system has been implemented that allows for more customization of sounds. This is the new base for all event driven sounds in the SIM, and will allow us to add in environmental sounds in the future, including linking sounds directly to animations.
  • Re-tuned engine and transmission sound parameters for drivetrain loads for all cars. This gives a more dynamic sound with throttle changes as you modulate the delivery of power. Even slight throttle movements will yield more informative sonic responses.
  • Tuned the rumblestrip and grass rolling volumes for quieter vehicles. Tire surface sounds have also been adjusted and are likely a little on the loud side. This is to cater for users with speaker combinations and those soundcards that play them quiet. Reduce the tire volume slider to taste. The cars affected include the following:
– – Ford Falcon FG V8
– – Ford Mustang FR500S
– – Formula Renault 2.0
– – Global Mazda MX-5 Cup
– – Holden Commodore VF V8
– – HPD ARX-01c
– – Kia Optima
– – Legends Ford ’34 Coupe
– – Legends Ford ’34 Coupe Dirt
– – Lotus 49
– – Lotus 79
– – Mazda MX-5 Cup circa 2015
– – Mazda MX-5 Roadster circa 2015
– – McLaren MP4-12C GT3
– – Pontiac Solstice
– – Pro Mazda
– – Ruf RT 12R
– – Ruf RT 12R Track
– – SCCA Spec Racer Ford
– – Skip Barber Formula 2000
– – V8 Supercar Ford Falcon circa 2012
– – VW Jetta TDI Cup
  • Fixed a bug in the particle sounds and visor dirt sounds that could cause them to be too quiet for some cars.
Pace Car
  • The pace car’s line for entering and exiting its pit stall has been improved.
Dirt
  • Dirt Track Initialization v2.0
– – The creation of initial track state for dirt ovals has fundamentally changed. We now initialize dirt tracks using data gathered from sessions, rather than an algorithm that simulates track activity. This takes advantage of feedback we have received: our dirt tracks progress realistically when run in by drivers turning laps. Variance is achieved by using multiple starting states and wear histories, created by different sets of drivers and cars, to generate the final track state. This means that even for the same initial usage value, the resulting track may not always be the same!
– – In addition, the default starting usage percentage for dirt oval sessions is now adjusted based on the types of cars in the sessions. Essentially, cars that would normally run earlier at a race weekend and/or are aimed at beginners or rookie drivers will see tackier tracks on average. As drivers move up in car class, they are also considered to be racing later in the event and will typically experience a more worn-out track. Overall, the tracks for race sessions for the upper-end Dirt Sprint Cars and Dirt Late Models will be noticeably slicker than before, but rookies running the Street Stock will still have mostly tacky conditions.
  • Fixed an issue where some dirt areas along walls could look patchy.
Replay
  • Several small replay processing and playback enhancements to increase the accuracy of the dynamic track in a replay.
  • When playing a replay, the play speed will remain unchanged when playing a frame where the player steps into the car, or is the start of a new session. Previously this would trigger an event that would drop the replay out of fast-forward and into regular play speed.
Paint Kit
  • Four new sponsors have been added.
Chat
  • Fixed a bug that caused the right-click menu to not work on small chat window.
Virtual Reality
  • Fixed an issue causing a white flash when transitioning out of a session.
Telemetry
  • New irsdk variable “CarLeftRight” that outputs a irsdk_CarLeftRight enum indicating if a car is on your left or right. This can be used to replicate our high/low spotter calls.
  • New irsdk Session String parameter WeekendInfo:TrackDirection: that indicates if the track is a left or right (or neutral) handed track. Use this to detect that you are at a reversed oval so you can properly call high when the car is on your left rather than right side.
  • Fixed the output of car setup to telemetry to not strip numbers from the key names.
New iRacing UI Preview
  • UI Scale: You can scale the entire UI up to 200%.
  • You are now able to “Star” cars, tracks, Series, and Time Attack Competitions.
  • Cart: You can add cars and tracks to a new shopping cart located in the top right corner. Clicking “continue” lets you check out at the Classic Membersite.
  • A host of Series Racing upgrades, including:
– – Sessions have been cleaned up and split into tabs: Race, Qualify, Open Practice, Time Trial.
– – Open Practice sessions now show the server location and country flag.
– – Time Trials will allow you to join the single next available time trial.
– – New “Trending” label appears based on the total racers participating in a series.
– – New “Hot” label appears when a session has at least 10 registered drivers.
  • Time Attack now includes both Fixed Setup and Adjustable Setup competitions.
  • When you try to Register for a Series with multiple cars or classes without first selecting a car, the UI should force you to download the content first.
– – This should mostly eliminate the “Error 23” that has been showing up.

CARS:

Aston Martin DBR9 GT1
  • Season setups have been updated.
Audi R8 LMS GT3
  • Fixed an issue with opponent car weight distribution.
BMW Z4 GT3
  • Fixed an issue with the side mirrors disappearing.
  • Fixed an issue with skid sounds.
Dallara DW12
Dirt Late Model
  • (ALL) – Improved left-rear shock compression click adjustment behaviour.
  • (ALL) – Season setups have been updated.
Dirt Sprint Car
  • (ALL) – For fixed setups, the top wing fore/aft location is now adjustable.
Dirt Sprint Car Non-Winged
Dirt Street Stock
Dirt U.M.P. Modified
NEW CAR!
– – The Dirt U.M.P. Modified has been added to the iRacing.com garage of vehicles!
– – The UMP Modified cars are specifically built for dirt oval racing. Featuring 750 horsepower these cars race all around the United States. Built to the United Midwestern Promoters (UMP) specifications these are some of the most popular dirt oval cars in the country. The car design is a unique hybrid – open wheel in the front, stock car in the back. Over 3,000 drivers are registered to compete in the UMP DIRTcar Racing open-wheel Modified class, which continues to grow with each passing season. The division’s unique style, affordability, standardized rules and competitiveness make it a popular choice for veteran weekend warriors and young racers on the rise.

Ferrari 488 GT3
NEW CAR!
– – The Ferrari 488 GT3 has been added to the iRacing.com garage of vehicles!
– – The Ferrari 488 GT3 race car is powered by a twin-turbo, 3.9L, V8 engine that produces over 550 horsepower. Raced in multiple series around the world including the IMSA Weathertech Series, Blancpain GT and Endurance, and Pirelli World Challenge. This classic mid-engine car from Ferrari is known for incredibly well balanced handling, superb brakes and raw power – nothing else sounds quite like a Ferrari V8 engine at full throttle.

Ford Falcon FG V8
  • Improved backfire and ignition cut sound levels.
Ford GT
Ford GT – 2017
  • Fixed an issue where the nose of the car would disappear when viewed in mirrors at certain distances.
Ford GT3
Formula Renault 2.0
  • Tire warmers have been added in response to feedback from members that the car can be difficult to drive before the tires come up to temperature in cold ambient conditions.
Global Mazda MX-5 Cup
  • Improved asphalt scrub and skid sounds for tires.
  • Improved engine, gear, and backfire sounds.
Holden Commodore VF V8
  • Improved backfire and ignition cut sound levels.
HPD ARX-01c
  • Fixed an issue where the right and left suspension cameras were inverted.
Kia Optima
  • This vehicle has been updated to use PBR shaders.
  • Improved engine and backfire sounds.
Lotus 49
  • Correcting some of the vehicle data specifications, which means time judgements for penalties, cutting corners etc. could have previously been incorrect.
Lotus 79
  • Improved asphalt scrub and skid sounds and for tires.
Mazda MX-5 Cup circa 2015
Mazda MX-5 Roadster circa 2015
McLaren MP4-12C GT3
Mercedes-AMG GT3
  • Improved drivetrain and brake sounds.
Modified – SK
NASCAR Camping World Chevrolet Silverado
NASCAR Camping World Toyota Tundra
NASCAR K&N Pro Chevrolet Impala
  • Rear gear options have been adjusted.
  • Fixed an issue with some tachometer lights displaying incorrectly.
NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Chevrolet SS
NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Ford Fusion
NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Toyota Camry
NASCAR Nationwide Chevrolet Impala circa 2011
  • Sharing setups between the NASCAR Nationwide Chevrolet Impala circa 2011 and the other B Class stockcars has been removed.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Chevrolet Impala COT circa 2013
NASCAR Whelen Tour Modified
NASCAR XFINITY Chevrolet Camaro
NASCAR XFINITY Ford Mustang
NASCAR XFINITY Toyota Camry
Nissan GTP ZXT
  • Fixed a typo in the rear wing adjustment text.
Pontiac Solstice
  • Improved engine sounds.
Pro Mazda
  • Fixed some Level-of-Detail issues with this vehicle’s tires.
Radical SR8
  • Front dive planes are now fitted.
Ruf RT 12R Track
SCCA Spec Racer Ford
Silver Crown
Super Late Model
VW Jetta TDI Cup
TRACKS:
Atlanta Motor Speedway
  • Advertisements have been updated.
Auto Club Speedway
Bristol Motor Speedway
  • Logos have been updated.
Charlotte Motor Speedway
Chicagoland Speedway
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
  • The gain time checkpoint at the chicane has been adjusted.
Darlington Raceway
Eldora Speedway
  • The dust color has been adjusted.
Lanier National Speedway
NEW TRACK CONFIGURATION!
– – A new Dirt track configuration has been added to this track!
– – Although the iRacing version of Lanier has long been on asphalt, Lanier actually started out as a dirt track when it opened in 1982. In a throwback to those days, we have created a dirt configuration of this great 3/8-mile short oval.
  • All major trackside objects have been visually upgraded for both the new Dirt configuration of this great 3/8-mile short oval.
  • All major trackside objects have been visually upgraded for both the new Dirt configuration and the original asphalt configuration.
  • Lanier National Speedway is an iRacing.com base content track, and this update is provided to all our Members without any additional cost.
Las Vegas Motor Speedway
New Smyrna Speedway
  • Pit stall 1 and 2 have been adjusted.
Nürburgring
  • The 1x penalty on the concrete/grass grid to the outside of T12 has been eased.
Phoenix International Raceway
Pocono Raceway
Snetterton Circuit
NEW TRACK!
– – The Snetterton Circuit has been added to the digital landscape of iRacing.com!
– – Located in Norfolk, UK, Snetterton Circuit was first opened in 1951. Built on a former WWII RAF airfield, the original circuit was constructed on the old runways and taxi ways left but the track has undergone many renovations and upgrade with the most significant changes having been completed in 2011.

There are three configurations of Snetterton Circuit available in iRacing – the 300 Circuit, 200 Circuit and 100 Circuit. The 300 Circuit is the longest, 2.98 miles with 13 corners and hosts various international championships including British Formula 3, British GT and the British Touring Car Championship. Several of the corners on the track pay homage to famous drivers including Hamilton, Brundle and most recently, the Montreal hairpin was renamed Wilson in honor of the late IndyCar and F1 driver Justin Wilson. Circuit 200 is 2 miles in length and features eight corners while the Circuit 100 measures just under a mile at .95 miles with just six corners.
– – Snetterton Circuit includes the following track configurations:
– – – Snetterton Circuit 100
– – – Snetterton Circuit 200
– – – Snetterton Circuit 300

Sonoma Raceway
Talladega Superspeedway
  • The pace car driver has been retrained on this track, and should no longer clip the tri-oval grass on pit entry, obey the pit road speed limit, and should no longer park sideways in the pit stall.
  • Adjusted the level-of-detail distances for flags and fences to reduce visibility popping.
Texas Motor Speedway
  • The pace car driver has received additional training on this track and should enter pit lane with a better line and park in a better location.
Watkins Glen International

iRacing is available exclusively for PC, and can be downloaded either independently or through the Steam network.

iRacing Ferrari 488 a.jpg
iRacing UMP Modified a.jpg

Check out the iRacing.com sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding the simulation.

Happy with the new update? Tried the new content yet? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Is this place really becoming a place where people cannot voice their opinion without wearing a flame proof suite? This was my personal opinion and yes it was "watch a live stream", but sometimes that is enough, no?

People asked for proof, ok how about I say I have been around it enough times and walked it enough times that I really know the layout. I have actually been there where this is no racing on, just to walk the track and get close up pictures, in case somebody wanted to do it in AC. Yes they gave me permission as the track was inactive.

Also @sniperhamster182 actually has a season pass, so he is practically there every weekend when there is racing on, so he would know the layout better than I do.

Ok I say this loosely now, laserscanned?, where is all the corner names, where is all the corner markers, the is to many bollards at Brundle and at the end of Coram / in to Murrys. There is no grandstand at Murrys or on the straight between Palmer and Agostini, now surly a laserscanned track would pick this up?

Don't get me wrong, I am all up for UK tracks and UK Motorsports, more than anything on any sim, but if the say it's laser scanned then at least it should as real as possible?

Shaun

Last edited:
I must I have no experience of Snetterton, I'm going to look for some comparison videos to see how accurate it is. Also be interesting to see if they made an older looking version of the circuit possibly due to scanning it a while back. While it wouldn't account for all of the discrepancies it may account for some.

Also can't the grandstands details be adjusted in the options? The corner names should appear on the map outside of the simulation. I've had a mare of a week and zero free time but will look into what I can (when I can)

Reactions: F_B
@snyperal If they scanned this in 2012 then this would explain a few things, but not what I have mentioned, but why release something 5yrs later saying it's LS, as this is just me, if they say is LS, then I would expect it to be up to 2017 specs?

I can't comment on the grandstands, it was "in the video I watched" some was there but some was not?

@snyperal thank you for not flaming me for my opinion :)

@snyperal If they scanned this in 2012 then this would explain a few things, but not what I have mentioned, but why release something 5yrs later saying it's LS, as this is just me, if they say is LS, then I would expect it to be up to 2017 specs?

I can't comment on the grandstands, it was "in the video I watched" some was there but some was not?

@snyperal thank you for not flaming me for my opinion :)
When they scan tracks ,
they scan sometimes only the surfaces of the road/track ,
thats why they call it a LS Track , sometimes they may scan the entire environment like kunos do ,
all companies scan in different ways ,
maybe Iracing to save costs just scanned the surface , obviously you know by watching streams if the surface is correct or not , camber is correct , forget about track objects 80% of scanned tracks the surroundings are not correct and made the same , using google maps :)

They scanned this track a long time ago. My guess is that a lot of the stuff that is present now, wasn't there when they scanned it. Kinda like VIR with the tree (i love that tree btw....hope they never update it to remove the tree).

I will firstly say, I don't have IRacing, but I got treated to a video, live stream of Snetterton on a FB feed.

Now this is my local circuit, I live 5mins away ( if I push it) but this is not laser scanned, its not close, there is loads of corners that are incorrect, the last section, the Bomb Hole, Coram, Murrys totally wrong., the elevation after riches is wrong...

The surroundings are out of place as well, the tarmac looks to grey it doesn't look anything like how it should be, even the pit garages look like something from the 90's in GFX wise, very very poor attempt.

pCars version is miles better
Oh dear, PCars fanboy. You are very short of facts and quite high on made up nonsense.

All iRacing tracks are laser scanned. Not sure whether iRacing themselves scanned Snetterton or not.

I have also been to Snetterton several times and the iRacing track seems fairly spot on to me. Just watched a YouTube video of a car around Snetterton 200. Looked the damn same as in iRacing, elevation changes and all

Hi @Stephen Westrip we have never met before so you calling me a pCars fan boy, well you have never seen my posts before hand then have you..I don't actually own pCars, so please do your research before hand.

I have a converted version of pcars Snetterton in AC, and I will tell you , it miles better

iRacing tracks might be laserscanned but Snetterton is and was not scanned in 2017, maybe in 2012 but then it's not up to date, and to sell that ****, 5yrs later, and the advertise it, hello??

You say you have been to Snetterton a few times, as a spectator? have you walked the track, have you been on the non public side, just asking?? I doubt it. If you have then please, prove it, like I have been asked :)

Hi @Stephen Westrip we have never met before so you calling me a pCars fan boy, well you have never seen my posts before hand then have you..I don't actually own pCars, so please do your research before hand.

I have a converted version of pcars Snetterton in AC, and I will tell you , it miles better

iRacing tracks might be laserscanned but Snetterton is and was not scanned in 2017, maybe in 2012 but then it's not up to date, and to sell that ****, 5yrs later, and the advertise it, hello??

You say you have been to Snetterton a few times, as a spectator? have you walked the track, have you been on the non public side, just asking?? I doubt it. If you have then please, prove it, like I have been asked :)

I have no idea about what Snetterton looks like. But I trust the track record (pun intended) of iRacing's track creation process more than I trust your opinion based upon being at the track. That doesn't mean you're wrong or that iRacing couldn't botch the process. But we don't know you and many of us have raced in iRacing. If there is one thing they are good at, it is making great virtual racetracks. They've proven themselves over and over with that... so the burden of proof is higher for your statements.

Guys, I didn't want to start a Iracing members vs the others thingy, I just stated that it's doubtful to evaluate a circuit and its accuracy by just watching a video with perhaps strange FOV etc., although Shaun and Alan do know the circuit well in real-life, and I have no doubt that they actually have knowledge about it. If some things are missing it might be down to the fact that it was scanned 5 years ago and these have been added after that (just a guess). Though they scanned it in 2012 and released it damn five years after the scan still makes it a laserscan. As chargingcar wrote they probably just scanned the road, who knows? However as I have seen and followed the track making process of Iracing I doubt they just scan the road. Just take a look at their version of Long Beach: they can't finish it because as a street circuit they have too many objects to model standing beside the actual racetrack.

Why did it Iracing take so long? Well, I guess they had more important, high profile things to add in the meantime (Le Mans, Spa, many GT3 cars etc), but Iracing is good at announcing cars and tracks which after the announcement somehow silently disappear (BTCC, Formula Renault 3.5), which is frankly speaking embarrassing. They should rethink their communication strategy imo.

And just for the record: I'm not an Iracing fanboy as I also enjoy AC, rfactor 2, AMS and all these nice sims out there.

I hope that was comprehensible enough.

giphy.gif

I personally glad Iracing charges what they do. It helps keep those who are not passionate about racing away. This is why online racing is great in iracing.

so only in iracing they are passionate? hahha you funny guy , if you where passionate you would be Premium member.:whistling:
iracing is a terrible organisation with a too big attitude , and FFB is in many cheaper sims way better then in iracin
And before you comment yes i was so stupid to spend few hundred dollar on that game , so i can (could) compare

I will firstly say, I don't have IRacing, but I got treated to a video, live stream of Snetterton on a FB feed.

pCars version is miles better

Perhaps your comment stating 'pCars version is miles better' made me assume you owned pCars. So, you don't own iRacing but don't like the iRacing track; you don't own pCars but it is miles better. All good then.

Perhaps your comment stating 'pCars version is miles better' made me assume you owned pCars. So, you don't own iRacing but don't like the iRacing track; you don't own pCars but it is miles better. All good then.
OK when I am wrong, I will hold my hands up and apologise. Doing some digging around, I have now seen a video of IRacing version, and they obviously had the GFX set to ultra. There is corner markers, there is corner names and the grandstand is there, where it should be.

BUT, and watching this over and over, and this is the only BUT, the Bomb Hole has a slightly more "dip" to it, as you do feel your about to loose stomach contents esp at that speed that is carried through and the kerbs (Nelson and Murrys) are slightly to kind on your car, they are higher, but this will depend on when IRacing did their LS.

So again, I apologise, no harm done :thumbsup:

btw you don't scan just road, laser goes everywhere and gives you all points where it registers them, you could of course use the data to reconstruct only the road, but that would be silly, spending thousands of dollars for huge datat cloud and they only use 30% of that data

OK when I am wrong, I will hold my hands up and apologise. Doing some digging around, I have now seen a video of IRacing version, and they obviously had the GFX set to ultra. There is corner markers, there is corner names and the grandstand is there, where it should be.

BUT, and watching this over and over, and this is the only BUT, the Bomb Hole has a slightly more "dip" to it, as you do feel your about to loose stomach contents esp at that speed that is carried through and the kerbs (Nelson and Murrys) are slightly to kind on your car, they are higher, but this will depend on when IRacing did their LS.

So again, I apologise, no harm done :thumbsup:

Maybe not so wise to put so much faith in all those videos your watching.

Also the bomb hole is much more pronounced in VR.

Anyway not bad for $4.22.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing