iRacing Release New UI (Preview) and Time Attack Mode

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing UI Preview Released.jpg

iRacing.com have today deployed a new build for the simulation, bringing with it a preview version of the new UI and adding a long awaiting Time Attack mode.

Although the new UI is labelled up as a 'preview' of the complete version, the UI is useable immediately and does contain a large portion of the functionality it is expected to contain once the final, complete version is released over the next few weeks and months. Those preferring to run the original UI can switch between the two at any stage.

Build Update Change Log

Available options at launch of UI preview
  • view scheduled seasons and sessions
  • join/withdraw from both official and non-official sessions
  • create and join hosted sessions
  • launch test sessions
  • update and purchase content (via redirect to existing membersite)
  • view and join time attack competitions
  • view time attack standings
  • time trials
  • VR
Coming at a later date
  • use web team or league functionality (However you could join a league race directly from hosted)
  • access the forums
  • paint items
  • view results or other statistics
  • manage your account/profile/friends
  • file protests
  • manage replays
  • spectate or ghost (outside of TA)
  • drive like an alien (unless you are one)
Why are some features not available yet?
As mentioned, the user interface is only a preview. Hence, users still have the choice between the new and the old UI/ web interface. But do remember that whatever you do in one of them will carry over to the other one. They are just two different ways of accessing one game (iRacing).

iRacing will continue to improve the new UI over time, so that one day it will be able to make a definitive switch.

What about Time Attack?
On the other hand, Time Attack is not a preview. However, it can only be accessed through the new UI. The new UI can Either be launched by hitting “Time Attack” on the members site, or by double-clicking on the iRacingSim64DX11.exe in your iRacing directory.

What if I find a bug?
Should discover that something is not working correctly, then this might be due to a technical issue on iRacing’s side, which could be solved within a couple of hours. Should the issue persist, then you can file a bug report via the “feedback” option in the new UI. iRacing also has a list of known issues, which you can view here.

iRacing.com is a PC racing simulation that hosts large scale online multiplayer racing events.

Check out the iRacing.com sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding the simulation.

Have you tried the new UI preview build yet? What are your impressions of the update so far? Do you think Time Attack is a valuable feature for the sim, and do you think this portion of the title will be heavily used by the community? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Maybe I phrased that in the wrong way. I meant, you'll still be required to be subbed to try out the time trial mode.
Yeah, you kinda did :D And while I could see how people think it might be a good chance to be a demo. The content (that people would want to race) would still have to be bought and I can't see anyone buying content for a demo :p

Yeah, you kinda did :D And while I could see how people think it might be a good chance to be a demo. The content (that people would want to race) would still have to be bought and I can't see anyone buying content for a demo :p
I have some iRacing content. All I ask is that iRacing lets me use it without needing to sub even if it's just a time attk mode. There's tons of people that play AC, Project Cars and the like on single player. It's no MMO. It's a racing sim. I don't mind paying for multiplayer but it's kinda off putting that I have to pay for single-player too.

• Deleted member 205301

...Honestly, I don't really understand the interest of it...
But maybe I'm a bit too old, and don't really appreciate when something changes (running iracing since 6years)
@++

All I ask is that iRacing lets me use it without needing to sub even if it's just a time attk mode. There's tons of people that play AC, Project Cars and the like on single player.

Lucky for you and them, there are lots of classic-styled sim games to choose from for your offline, single-player experiences.

Meanwhile, I will gladly subscrib for frequent updates to cars and their mechanics, tire handling, track adjustments, new UI, and in this special case, the launch of a new mode.

To each, their own.

Just stop asking for something to be what it is deliberately trying not to be...

I have some iRacing content. All I ask is that iRacing lets me use it without needing to sub even if it's just a time attk mode. There's tons of people that play AC, Project Cars and the like on single player. It's no MMO. It's a racing sim. I don't mind paying for multiplayer but it's kinda off putting that I have to pay for single-player too.

I concur!! I'd would much prefer an offline version with a couple of cars and tracks then have the option to purchase additional cars and tracks sans monthly fee.

Lucky for you and them, there are lots of classic-styled sim games to choose from for your offline, single-player experiences.

Meanwhile, I will gladly subscrib for frequent updates to cars and their mechanics, tire handling, track adjustments, new UI, and in this special case, the launch of a new mode.

To each, their own.

Just stop asking for something to be what it is deliberately trying not to be...
It's 2017 not 2009. Which racing sim requires you to be a paying subscriber to gain frequent updates to cars and their mechanics, tire handling, track adjustments etc... only Iracing. If their exorbitant car and track prices aren't enough to warrant updates to their content as needed then I don't know what else will.

It's 2017 not 2009. Which racing sim requires you to be a paying subscriber to gain frequent updates to cars and their mechanics, tire handling, track adjustments etc... only Iracing. If their exorbitant car and track prices aren't enough to warrant updates to their content as needed then I don't know what else will.

What's that got to do with the new UI and time attack mode?

Their pricing model hasn't changed or been mentioned, you either buy into it and play it or you don't.

I have some iRacing content. All I ask is that iRacing lets me use it without needing to sub even if it's just a time attk mode.

It's called iRacing, not iTimetrial. It is a racing league that just relaunched a time-attack mode with online leader boards and ghosts. It is not an offline time-trail simulator, but there are lots of sims that can still do that.

Exactly. iRacing launched in 2008...

Consider this:

iRacing is akin to an amateur sport league: it requires membership each 'season' with various other expenses that need to be paid in order to compete against other players in a orderly, fair, and managed system. In order to provide that fair environment, just like any sport, equipment is regulated and the playing field is maintained.

When you say 'But I played in the league in 2009 and bought a couple cars, a few tacks, and I want to practice with that stuff, by myself'...

#1. The sim is about online racing against other racers. If you want to go drive a car offline, fire up [insert other sim name here].

#2. iRacing as an entire platform has since moved on from your initial contributions (up to) NINE YEARS AGO. While you were gone, the league used the ongoing contributions of its members to pay for improvements in regulated cars and tracks, introduce new features and content, plus upgrade servers and back-end tech through an iterative process. Your old league equipment that you paid for with a 1-time-fee for rental, no longer exists in that version. Everyone has moved on.

#3. Become a member again, and iRacing will refresh everything you rented. And you can go back to racing against other drivers in an orderly, fair, and managed system.

I have relatively new content from Iracing like the merc gt3, audi gt3, Formula renault 2.0 and many tracks. I appreciate and value their multiplayer system but would like to have a standalone client to practice on and try out some of the unique cars on Iracing.

Asking for a standalone client with content I paid for isn't asking for much imo. Apparently, others feel different about it which is totally fine and the end of the day only competition can solve this mess.

im 100%club member, and have no problems with their business model, but i fully agree on this with you that singleplayer should be open to members with expired membership.....its not SO much for servers to just save their time.
as singleplayer mode i also think that it should be free.
i try not to condsider myself as a fanboy but on the other hand im not so shure about my judgements hehe

If nothing else, keep that test drive iRacing site open 24/7. You can log on to that and test content you already have downloaded even if your subscription is lapsed when iRacing is down for maintenance.

I think it will be a matter of time before things go that way. I remember way back when you had to own all the cars to race in a particular series. I had a friend of mine try iR the other day, he came from AC, AMS, etc.. He was blown away by how flushed out it is, he didn't know about the accuracy of tracks and realism when it comes to car details, setup, features, etc. Ive been a member since May of 2008, and happy to see it progressing well, I feel its worth the money if your serious about Sim racing.

If nothing else, keep that test drive iRacing site open 24/7. You can log on to that and test content you already have downloaded even if your subscription is lapsed when iRacing is down for maintenance.

I think the new UI they can release patches without downtime, so they say, It'll be interesting to see how it all fares on week 13.

It's such a slow process though, impatient me has been spoiled by things like the Porsche DLC for assetto corsa, and seeing things that really kind of make a difference be fleshed out over a year.

tried the time attack thingy, and it simply isn't iRacing, it's raceroom, is what it is. I can only see this as a kind of sticky tape to lure unsuspecting racers into the service, but then it would have to be free. don't see how it makes much sense to the kind of guy who enjoys iRacing, at least me, i'm in it for the pack, if i want to play solo, i play raceroom or [insert any racing-game you like]. Also: How does the venerable time attack mode make sense any longer? it doesn't as a standalone thing anymore, does it? should be incorporated into the time attack platform.
so, it's like a gadget your brother bought: interesting to know it's there and maybe nice to have for him, but with no real consequences for your private life.

I don't get either..
Is it not just a rehash of 'time-trial' thing, that not many people bother with?
Huge fuss over not a lot.
I use a large screen, so I can play without glasses, the new UI is headache inducing..
I was looking forward to it, not so sure now.
I can never understand why they take so long to do anything, years to make the new UI, years..

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back