iRacing is just AC with rating :)

So after practicing maybe 1 hour MX5 @ Lime Rock this weekend i just had one run at a race.
Ended up in split 3.
Qualifying? 1x in lap 1, 1x + 2x in lap 2 - no logged time.
Starting 9th of 11, ending up 10th after T1.

20 laps later?

3rd without having actively overtaken a single car :)

Sure, i'm racing the Mazda series, it's lots of rookies in there, but still that's not what you expect from "serious super realistic" iRacing :)

I've had some decent racing in the Mazda cup before. On the very few occasions when I do race it anymore, I will qualify the best I can. Then if I'm starting in the top 3, I will start on the grid and race. If I am mid pack or further back, I will most likely start from the pits for the challenge. You can pick up a bunch of places on the first couple of laps just from attrition. After that follow people around, watch how they drive and decide whether it would be better to attempt a pass or give a little pressure and wait until they make a mistake.

Every race is what you make of it. Even if you are not fighting for the win, you can still have a good race and learn something. In the Mazda cup, one of the best skills I learned was accident avoidance. Every incident you get is at least partially your fault. Even if someone rams you from behind. I've had people try that and I swerved at the last minute and watched them wreck themselves. So if all you can do is Mazda Cup, then make the best of it and learn as much as you can. Maybe try oval racing too. You never know, you just might like it. My suggestion would be to wait until it is at Charlotte though.

Another thing you can do once you get into at least a D license series. Try to race the same time every week. After a while you will start to recognize the drivers and get to know who you can trust. I race the IndyCar oval fixed series every Monday night at 11:15pm EST/4:15 GMT and I check the entry list before the race and know almost every driver in there and who I can trust to run side by side with and who to avoid. I have had some great races just by knowing who I'm racing with. After a while it becomes almost like league racing.

I think Troy in a way that's why I like niche series. The popular series like the Skippy, GT3, and Trucks I don't like. There's just a lot of people to race against. Nothing against those series, but I like racing people I recognize.

But series like the IndyCar, whether Fixed or Winter Series, you are always racing the same guys. With the Sprint Car, we arrange official time slots and we just race against each other. It's fun and we all get better. Other series do that too.

And I'll recommend everyone to at least try ovals. You paid for an oval license and road license. And oval racecraft will make you better on road courses.

Ive had excellent races in the mazda against Sonny Kachin, Raymond Brown, and other guys like that. But you have to be at least at a 2000 irating before you can be guaranteed a top split start.

Just don't do Street Stocks at Charlotte, it's a flat out ****-show, lol. Hold the yellow line and get wrecked by someone desperate to pass :p

I remember the first time I did oval when I tried iRacing back in 2012 for a little bit in-between rFactor league seasons. It was a blast, in the Legends. Very tricky thing, but it's quite rewarding once you get it right. Kinda need a setup tho if you want to be competitive in higher splits. Haven't done oval in quite a while tho... Apart from the odd road course weeks.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 157 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 300 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 428 39.7%