iRacing - hosted GT3 Club Races - Sundays @ 9:00am EST

OP has been edited - sessions are now two hours:). Sessions require password which I will post the day of the race.

These RD club races are casual events I am hosting for the purpose of providing the opportunity to race using the iRacing service but without the pressure of worrying about iRating and Safety Rating. The majority of the tracks will be base content but there will be some of the more popular paid tracks mixed in as well. All skill levels are welcome to join in and race. Please race respectfully and have fun.

Two Hour Sessions: 1 hour practice, 15 minute quali (single car, 4 laps), 45 minute race. Race fuel limited to 46 percent. You will have to pit so use the time in practice sessions to find your stall. There are also 2 fast repairs available.

Session requires password which I will post up here on the morning of the race.
Password = Senna

The cars:
BMW Z4 GT3
McLaren MP4 12C GT3
RUF RT12R Track
Ford GT3 GT3

Sunday December 27th, 2015 @ 9:00 am EST - Okayama International (base content)

Sunday January 3rd, 2016 @ 9:00 am EST - Daytona circa 2007 (base content)

Sunday January 10th, 2016 @ 9:00 am EST - Spa (paid content)

Sunday January 17th, 2016 @ 9:00 am EST - Laguna Seca (base content)

Sunday January 31st, 2016 @ 9:00 am EST - Summit Point (base content)

Sunday February 7th, 2016 @ 9:00 am EST - Interlagos (paid content)

Last edited:
Thanks Snappy! ...wasn't a great turn out for me today, but had fun while it lasted chasing you and James for a few laps. Kept seeing you getting loose around T5? thinking I could get you there, but ended up overdriving the car and spinning there myself. ...then it just unraveled due to lack of concentration. Was fun watching the race unfold tho, good win!

Looking forward to next week.

Thanks Snappy! ...wasn't a great turn out for me today, but had fun while it lasted chasing you and James for a few laps. Kept seeing you getting loose around T5? thinking I could get you there, but ended up overdriving the car and spinning there myself. ...then it just unraveled due to lack of concentration. Was fun watching the race unfold tho, good win!

Looking forward to next week.
I had a great time! Glad you joined in again this week. See you next week, right?

I was pleased just to finish without any major spins or crashes. That version of Daytona is super bumpy. James was gapping me but then had a spin in turn 1. I then got about a 10 second lead but he was eating away at that pretty steadily. Before I knew it he caught me and then pitted. I tried to keep the gap. I actually came out of the pits right behind me and tried to stay close but he just took off an was over 6 seconds ahead (maybe more). I had a hard time keeping consistent lap times but then...he pitted again. At that point I was focusing on staying on track. TBH, Troy was making up time on me as well. Had Troy not spun it would have been a fantastic battle.

I struggle badly at Spa so I will be at the back for sure.

In an effort to get us all talking set ups and learning from each other, here's my approach to this Sunday. I'm no expert and would love this to be a discussion starter as I'm not 100% certain I am doing this right. I don't think the end setup numbers mean much just the approach to what I am changing is correct from what I *think* I need to change. All input welcome. TL;DR is down below:

I had never turned a lap at Daytona so this was a totally new track for me. This is also the second week I've ever driven the FGT as I wanted to use these sessions as a fun way to learn setups without killing my rating if (when) I make a mistake. So, thanks David!

So, after a while practicing just learning the track and feeling somewhat comfortable turning consistent lap times (averaging high :47s to :48s), I pit and check tire temps:

1) I am targeting 27PSI hot for each tire and change tire pressures to hit target (after a half or full stint). Is this a good target? For me, if it goes much higher the tires seem greasy. If it is too far below, the tires feel squishy and I push for ever.

2) My next step is to rank the most valuable corners and see if I can change something specific to help me gain speed in those corners. I chose two: the turn getting on to the roval and the turn heading into the inside straight after passing pit exit (those seemed to be the two turns with the longest full throttle application afterward.

a) For the first turn, I was pushing into the turn and getting a little loose midturn. I chose to add camber (two clicks) to front right and didn't really do much to remedy getting loose (just trying to modulate throttle) although thought maybe to reduce diff preload. Seemed to help.

b) For the other turn, I was also pushing hard for turn in and wanted more trail braking so I moved brake bias back about two clicks. This seemed to help as well.

3) Then I ran a few more laps and checked/changed tire temps.

4) After this, I see what I can get away with in downforce and take as much wing off as I can. Seemed I could take the wing down about two clicks. Didn't get much out of it in time, but thought it has to help.

5) Finally, and this probably should have been thought of earlier - I tried tall gearing since there is so much straight line speed here. This took almost .5 seconds and was my first time getting into the :46's (although not in our session) so I figured this must be the right thing to do.

With that I lock it in, with just tire pressure changes going forward. That was my process, what do you guys think? Am I on the right path, making the right corrections? What else should I think about? When/do you change the springs and ride height, other settings and why? ...I don't put much time into the Qualy setup as I usually run out of time, so I just make sure at the last minute I have the right fuel load for the pitstop.

Fritz

TL;DR:

1) Learn track/line with baseline setup
2) Check tire temps, target 27PSI hot
3) Target high value corners: changed camber and brake bias
4) Change and test low wing.
5) Late change for tall gearing
6) Lock in setup, small pressure changes, race, spin, crash, watch fun race!

I had a great time! Glad you joined in again this week. See you next week, right?

I was pleased just to finish without any major spins or crashes. That version of Daytona is super bumpy. James was gapping me but then had a spin in turn 1. I then got about a 10 second lead but he was eating away at that pretty steadily. Before I knew it he caught me and then pitted. I tried to keep the gap. I actually came out of the pits right behind me and tried to stay close but he just took off an was over 6 seconds ahead (maybe more). I had a hard time keeping consistent lap times but then...he pitted again. At that point I was focusing on staying on track. TBH, Troy was making up time on me as well. Had Troy not spun it would have been a fantastic battle.

I struggle badly at Spa so I will be at the back for sure.

Will definitely see you next week. Hopefully, I can stay with you guys and not spin. It was a fantastic race to watch - although would have loved it more to be in the thick of it. :thumbsup:

Spa is another track of setup challenges. LONG straights, and tricky corners. ...sounds like fun!

Hi chaps, newbie here. Would love to join in at Spa next week. I have a D licence in iracing, will that work?

Thanks.
Yes. All license levels welcomed. Keep checking the OP for updates. Next Sunday's race is at Spa, which is a paid track. It's up to you whether you pay for it or wait until the following week. Also, you only need one of the GT3 cars to participate. Check the OP to see which cars are used in these sessions.

Will definitely see you next week. Hopefully, I can stay with you guys and not spin. It was a fantastic race to watch - although would have loved it more to be in the thick of it. :thumbsup:

Spa is another track of setup challenges. LONG straights, and tricky corners. ...sounds like fun!
Most GT3 setups use very little rear wing, was obvious for Daytona to stick to the lowest (1) setting, then use the Tall gearing. Still for the BMW It had no top speed compared to the Ford and Mclaren, which is why I sorta gave room for a pass, no point fighting it. When I passed David right after his pit exit, I had to push hard to give myself a good gap, so that at the end of the straight he wouldnt pass me. When you came down my inside, I tried to give room for two wide, but put me off I guess in the marbles? I just suddenly lost grip, going into a slow slide/drift/spin.

I look forward to Spa, one of my favorite tracks. Heres some shots I took from last years Spa 24.

James, I saw you get loose in T1 just the lap before and saw you save it. I almost came over the chat to say "nice save" but then I remembered that chatting can be distracting. What's funny is that when you did spin I thought to myself "better push hard now" because I knew you would close the gap. And you did. Nice job there. My laps were so inconsistent after that. Especially after my pit stop. I just could not stay with you in the infield and through the "bus stop" chicane. At that point I was resigned to just hold on to 2nd. I have to say: Troy did a hell of a job coming back. He had me nervous about making a mistake and having him catch me. So, for me, this race was a lot of pressure and that was a great experience. It's the only way to get better. Thanks guys.

James, I saw you get loose in T1 just the lap before and saw you save it. I almost came over the chat to say "nice save" but then I remembered that chatting can be distracting. What's funny is that when you did spin I thought to myself "better push hard now" because I knew you would close the gap. And you did. Nice job there. My laps were so inconsistent after that. Especially after my pit stop. I just could not stay with you in the infield and through the "bus stop" chicane. At that point I was resigned to just hold on to 2nd. I have to say: Troy did a hell of a job coming back. He had me nervous about making a mistake and having him catch me. So, for me, this race was a lot of pressure and that was a great experience. It's the only way to get better. Thanks guys.
Haha yeah. I had a safe gap from you after Troy went off, so I slowed a little to make it more interesting. Then I saw your straight line speed and I was like crap! Setting tire pressures high like I did, didnt allow any temp build up at all. During practice they got up to 238F, so I raised them and in race they only got up to 168-172, with massive push mid corner. I adjusted the brake bias rearward to help and got me loose that first time. When I did spin I knew I had to push and maybe have a chance to catch you during pitstops and I just barely did, was so funny to pass you right on your pit exit. Was still a great race despite anything and definitely a learning experience for all in safe conditions.

Most GT3 setups use very little rear wing, was obvious for Daytona to stick to the lowest (1) setting, then use the Tall gearing. Still for the BMW It had no top speed compared to the Ford and Mclaren, which is why I sorta gave room for a pass, no point fighting it. [...]

I look forward to Spa, one of my favorite tracks. Heres some shots I took from last years Spa 24.

That's the thing. I'm starting at a point where nothing's obvious in setting things up, I still had room to lower the wing... Glad I finally set the tall gearing too which helped much much more than lowering the wing.

...hmmm, that paint job looks... familiar!

[...]During practice they got up to 238F, so I raised them and in race they only got up to 168-172, with massive push mid corner. I adjusted the brake bias rearward to help and got me loose that first time. [...]

Do you target certain temps versus pressure? I tried in the past to make sure at least the Inner and Mid temps looked similar but nothing I did in setup really change the delta, so I end up just looking at pressures. ...plus, I have no idea what would be a too hot or cold tire...

That's the thing. I'm starting at a point where nothing's obvious in setting things up, I still had room to lower the wing... Glad I finally set the tall gearing too which helped much much more than lowering the wing.

...hmmm, that paint job looks... familiar!
Do you target certain temps versus pressure? I tried in the past to make sure at least the Inner and Mid temps looked similar but nothing I did in setup really change the delta, so I end up just looking at pressures. ...plus, I have no idea what would be a too hot or cold tire...
The GT3 cars are easy to setup gearing and wing wise not much to adjust. If its got a long straight away, then it will most likely take a low wing setting it seems. At Daytona today I was using the Interlagos setup but just lowered wing down to 1 and used the tall gearing set.

Yes thats the Marc VDS paint scheme of the car that won last years Spa 24, was my favorite car and team, just had to have it. Got it custom made for me along with my replica helmet from my racing past. The guy who did it is really good and fast turn around.

As for tire pressures 238F seemed quite high for what im used to, along with the hot track temp, made the car get loose very quickly. The low pressures were good for a couple of laps, but pushing at that rate it was getting worse. I try to keep temps under 225F, but most times you can just feel the car not gripping like before and thats how I know its too low. Kind of nice to see track temps and tire temps play a role in racing now, before it used to be a set it and forget type of deal. Also I think the Interlagos setup was using more camber than needed for Daytona, I think I remember old setups using low camber settings because of its flat and low corner speed nature of the infield, but banking easily heats them up. Some things to think about it.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 139 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 142 13.8%