1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Featured iRacing Formula Renault 2.0 Coming Next Month

Discussion in 'iRacing' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    Sim Racing News Editor Staff Premium Member

iRacing Formula Renault 2.0.jpg
    Having recently signed a multi car deal to feature an array of Renault racing cars, iRacing are slowly sneaking out details showing the first fruits of this new arrangement. The upcoming release of the Formula Renault 2.0 is due to hit the game in March.

Making its debut on the racing scene all the way back in 2000, the Formula Renault 2.0 championship has proved to supply strong on-track action amongst drivers who are learning their trade as they work their way up the motorsport ladder. Previous champions of the many different national and European series include Formula One stars Kimi Räikkönen, Felipe Massa, Lewis Hamilton and Romain Grosjean alongside a range of sucsessful drivers across all motorsport series.

The car itself sports a 210 bhp, 2.0L Renault F4R 832 engine connected to a 7-speed sequential gearbox. The open wheel vehicle is built and designed by French racing team Barazi-Epsilon.

Further details are currently unavailable.

Excited about a new lower power open wheel car in iRacing? Do you think this could replace the Star Mazda as car of choice in this category? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Compared to a Formula 3 where does this thing rate?

3. Dan Allen

Dan Allen
    I am the Pastor Maldonado of RaceDepartment.

Probably equal to F3 ;)

4. Neat, I love that performance band.

5. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Quite a bit slower and less sophisticated than a Formula 3 car. If you progressed up the ladder properly it would be something like this -

Karts
    Formula Ford
    Formula Renault 1.6
    Formula Renault 2.0
    Formula 3
    GP2/Formula Renault 3.5
    Formula One
    WEC :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. No the FR 2.0 is significantly slower than the Dallara F314

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

8. Torcano

Torcano
    #21 MPB Clan Premium Member

It could very well turn out to be the new hotness when it comes to iRacing's go-to low powered open wheel racer but nothing can replace the noise of the Star Mosquito. :p<nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee>

Just thinking about that whiny engine is enough to induce a headache. Kidding aside, I could see this little thing having a nice amount of participation given how these lower end formula cars are generally pretty forgiving to drive so the barrier of entry won't be as high as say the MP4-30. That said, if they ever intend to bust out the RS-01 with the GT3 homologation package then hoo boy am I gonna be all over that thing. I'll just forget about all these open wheel deals. ;)

9. with more than a dozen years of real life grids to pick from, painters will have a field day! the grids will look awesome.

10. what about indy lights in iracing? with all the professional drivers, it should be useful as a tool.

11. I don't see why I would switch from the lighter Star Mazda that delivers +14% more horsepower than this Formula Renault 2.0...but if all of this is leading to GP2 and Renault 3.5L cars, well count me in!

12. Metzger82

Metzger82
    Premium Member

Well, I m currently on spec racer ford and I m looking forward to join FR2.0 series next season :)

13. Frankly there's no real need to progress past SRF for me. Its kind of a perfect racing platform. :p

14. Honeslty I was more hoping for the formula renault 3.5

• Agree Agree x 1