iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wonder if thats the same thing as sensitivity control. i remember the brakes locking up way too soon in the pedal travel in late '08. causing enough frustration that i canceled my subscription.
i contacted iracing but didnt get a straight answer.
was anyone here running it back then that could describe the difference? a little better, no difference, night and day difference?
could someone post a screen shot of what the \"new\" controls look like?

i love the tracks in iracing but not enough to deal with the unrealistic realistic lockups.

Its completely different as you need to push the pedal down more to get it to lock up. The adjustment is a personal thing - I run 2.45 with G25 pedals and that feels really good. If you push the pedal to the floor it should lock up, no way you should be braking that hard.

• maddogg

If you push the pedal to the floor it should lock up, no way you should be braking that hard.
i am running G25/ECCI and the brakes would lock up before i felt the resistance in the pedal, which was very unrealistic. i suppose the cheap pedals that come with the G25 provide a different feel.

thx for the screenshot, Ricky!
i think ill renew my subscription next weekend

Hi all,

a search came up empty so here is my question...

has there been any provisions added to adjust controller axis sensitivity in the last year or so? namely the brake pedal.

Yeah, there is now. In addition to any profile setings you may have for your brake pedals it now works like this. First you calibrate by pushing the brake pedal to 100% and then you calibrate again by pushing to 50%, so you can adjust how sensitive it is in the beginning and end of pedal travel. I use CST load cell pedals and it works great.

• maddogg

thanks for the detailed explanation, Jack. so it sounds like you can custom tailor it by changing the halfway point either way.

thanks for the detailed explanation, Jack. so it sounds like you can custom tailor it by changing the halfway point either way.

Maddogg, glad to help. And here is what they've done to the throttle response....

Grant Reeve from iRacing decided to post and explain a bit more about the new iRacing Throttle Curve... If you ever wonder if all sims are created equal, they aren't. And even the simpliest things can get pretty complex.

Here is Grant's explanation of the old and new throttle curves. Not sure what Mario Kart uses, but it's probably not this...

=============================

The old throttle response curve was a simple y = x^2, which was done like a million billion years ago, way before I ever arrived at Papyrus in 98 and no one has ever thought to go back and look at it. We would know for all those cars we've modelled for the last 15-20 years what the full throttle dyno curve looks like, and what the off throttle engine braking looks like, but how the engine responds in between those two extremes I guess was never realized to be quite an important driving characteristic.

I believe the original logic was that y=x^2 approximates the shape of a 1-cosine curve from 0 to 90 degrees which was supposed to vaguely model the opening of the butterfly valve in the throttle body (but in my mind I'd expect that the butterfly valve opening would be better modelled with a sine curve than 1-cosine, and that would have been a far better match to the actual response)

The new throttle response curves are based on several sets of real vehicle data. One of the cars we model even has dyno information for full rpm pulls at every 10% of throttle position. By comparing how the engine power at any given rpm varies with throttle application I came up with an approximating function that sort of looks like the average of all the data we have.

At very small throttle openings, the airflow is pretty much choked to a fixed amount, so regardless of engine rpm it's only getting a fixed amount of air to burn for power output. Thus the initial (first 10-15% or so) throttle response regardless of rpm is kind of proportional to power output.

But at full throttle, the power output is limited by how much air the engine can pump. At low rpms the engine can't flow much air so it very quickly saturates it's power output, which is why at low rpm you feel like you're getting 80-90% of engine power by 40-50% of throttle, and the rest of the throttle travel feels very unresponsive. But at high rpm the motor can pump a whole lot of air, so the power output keeps increasing the further you get into the throttle.

Eventually you start running into limitations of how much air the throttle body can flow when wide open, and into limitations of the engine's volumetric efficiency at pumping air at very high rpm, which causes the throttle response to still flatten off as you get towards 80-90% even at max rpm.

It's quite likely that every engine in existance has subtley difference throttle response based on various build characteristics, but we're just giving them all the same response curve for now based on what their rev limit is.

First time I tried the new curves - like most of you guys have noticed - it immediately felt incredibly more natural - even the Spec Racer (which I like to call a Death Trap) was suddenly a whole lot more controllable and drivable. So, yeah, it does seem that it's pretty important to model what happens in between 0% and 100%

================

So there you go. When iRacing decides to work on something they don't kid around. Can't wait to see how the new Transmission Modeling works out...

i am running G25/ECCI and the brakes would lock up before i felt the resistance in the pedal, which was very unrealistic. i suppose the cheap pedals that come with the G25 provide a different feel.

thx for the screenshot, Ricky!
i think ill renew my subscription next weekend

That was a bit messed up then, I know that Jamie has CST's and even before the update he didn't have any problems with the brakes. If he pushed them really far down it would lock and the pedals had a lot of resistance before that.

Anyway it shouldn't be a problem now as you can adjust it as much as you like.

Bjorn, I'm gonna race again the Mazda season? Wanna go for a ride!? :D

Kevin, great iRating, mate!!!!! I'm at 3580 in road, but I don't know yet if I should be there. :) Still, almost black stripe! HAHAHAHA. With 3600 something I should be able to get one of those... :) And I must say I loved the DP (drove the rolex event). It would be awesome to race with the pros, although I'm pretty sure I'm not one. :)

• maddogg

I know that Jamie has CST's and even before the update he didn't have any problems with the brakes.

im very happy for Jamie, thanks. it doesnt sound like you've experienced any problems with the brakes either so congratulations, and thanks for adding to this discussion. maybe we shouldnt assume everyone uses the same hardware and since you dont have problems, then nobody else should either.

not trying to be harsh or abrasive, but THE thread in the iracing forum addressing this well over a year ago was repeatedly bombarded with posts from people who didnt experience this problem, which seems pointless.... no?

anyway, thanks everyone for the information, and i hope to see you on the track soon.

Brake less.

Problem solved!

Before my CSTs, I had G25 pedals and experienced no problems with those either, incidentally. It's all well and good saying 'we shouldn't assume everyone uses the same hardware', but where an overwhelming majority of people don't experience the problem on a variety of hardware, and you do on a specific item of hardware, then that's fairly indicative of the source of the problem should one actually exist beyond simply braking less and getting used to it.

First off, I didn't assume everyone used the same hardware, as I proved by posting that Jamie, who has different pedals to me, had had no issues in iRacing either. I haven't seen this as an issue on the forums and there is a huge range of wheels and pedals that people use and no one had any serious issues. Basically if the brakes locked up, you're braking too hard or you had the brake bias set wrong.

Next time don't assume that its the games fault when the fault actually lies with your pedals. You clearly explained that above, you say that the iRacing forum had a thread an was full of posts from people who didn't have this problem, so therefore its not the games fault, its your pedals/you.

• Pistonbroke

I can't log in now. Mind you, being the slowest website on the whole internet it's difficult to be sure.
I am sure I'm buying no more content unless they allow you to use what you've paid for off line.

I wouldn't use any other value than 0 no matter what pedals you have. Only if you have progressive spring or some kind of squash ball modded brake pedal only then I could consider using other value than 0 but even then I would think hard and do lots of testing to find out if it works.

What any value greater than 0 does is that it makes the pedals less precises at limit of threshold braking. You get smaller and smaller area of optimum braking the larger value you use. What also happens is that the braking threshold position of the pedal moves a bit as you adjust the value. What the iracing software simply does is to measure how far you push the brakes and then adjust the brake curve so that you get maximu threshold at that position.

It is far easier to learn to brake with linear brakes. Sure, you get the optimum brake position with the pedals little earlier than if using value larger than 0 but you also get far more precise brake pedal. You have a bigger window to aim at when braking. If you switch from unlinear brakes to linear brakes (move the slider to 0) you need to learn that you need to push the brakes a little less to achieve the optimum threshold braking.

I had huge problems with braking in iracing. I was trying to brake into a corner and having the brake about the same level on two laps on other occasion I locked the brakes and on other occasion I overshot the corner slightly. With linear brakes those problems went away. Braking is not far easier and more consistant. Before it was almost random. Al other sims worked just fine, in iracing my brakes were fubar. turns out it was just an unlinear brake which is both unrealistic and much more difficult to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back