iRacing: Circuit de la Sarthe Coming in September

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing LeMans 3.jpg

iRacing.com have confirmed the legendary Circuit de la Sarthe will be available to purchase in the September build of the popular online racing simulator.

In development for a considerable time now, the team over at iRacing are hard at work bringing the finishing touches to an iconic circuit made famous for hosting the world's most prestigious yearly endurance event, the Le Mans 24 Hour.

iRacing LeMans 2.jpg

Due to be recreated in all its glory using laserscanning technology, iRacing aim to recreate the 13.6km track at a level of detail so far unseen in any racing simulation to date. With a September release fast approaching the team over in America have admitted creating the track to be "a more difficult project from a management and art perspective than the Nordschleife" - which just goes to show how much work and attention is being lavished on this famous ribbon of racing tarmac.

The Le Mans 24 Hour race is the world's oldest sports car endurance race and one of the best known motor racing events across the globe. Held annually since 1923, the Le Man 24 Hour has long been known as the ultimate endurance test of man and machine against some of the toughest conditions possible in a closed circuit environment. Many of the motor racing greats have competed over the years at the Circuit de la Sarthe, with such legendary names as Tom Kristensen, Jacky Ickx, Hermann Lang, Phil Hill, Bruce McLaren, Graham Hill and Derek Bell having reached the chequered flag first after 24 gruelling hours of competition.

Due for release as part of the iRacing's September build, soon players will be able to have the opportunity to follow in such legendary wheel tracks themselves.

iRacing Le Mans Video:

More news and discussions regarding the iRacing simulation can be found over on our RaceDepartment iRacing forum.

Are you looking forward to the Le Mans release? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I did a bit of Iracing a couple of years ago and I was impressed. The graphics are brilliant as are the physics. The track details have always amazed me and that includes their wonderful speedway tracks. The only reason I don't do more of it these days is because I prefer offline racing in my other race sims. I really wish I could buy an offline version of Iracing.

burrito

It's an opinion, nothing more, nothing less.
I have mixed opinions about iRacing. There is no doubt that the selection of tracks is fantastic.

I suppose you become adjusted to what's available but the selection of cars for some reason doesn't appeal to me as much as some of the other sim titles.

Like mentioned above for Le Mans to appeal to me I would prefer to have LMP1 and LMP2 cars as well. They don't have to be the latest hybrid versions (in the case of LMP1) but something more akin to the WEC or even IMSA field would be great. The GT field can be represented by the GT3 cars so that's ok.

Not having a rant, just my thoughts :)
ProtoGT is more a 2000's representation of WEC without an LMP1. But the IMSA series is more accurate than it has ever been. Corvette DP and the german GT3 cars, no GTLM or PC cars though :(

they have been building up to this for over two years now, step by step giving the players all the elements you need for stable 24h online events. the only thing really missing (and here's hoping it will be in the build) would be night/day transition.
anyone remember the days of simbin's original gtr where you could do the 24 hours of spa offline in four segments of six hours? if i rmember correctly, there was a little text at the top of the screen where it said: watch out, game stopped to switch to next time segment in 10 secs (or something along those lines) the game would stop even if you were in the middle of an overtake, there'd be a loading screen and then you would go on in the next time segment. you always hoped it would happen on one of the long straights ...
also, this title:

was huge fun, it had wonderful day night transitions, you could save the game at every pit so one could actually play 12 hour games or even 24 hour games in little bits and pieces. it had the weirdest ai-behaviour ever: the opponents were easy to overtake but once behind you they would go a couple of secs per lap faster than before, nipping at your rear like a pack of bloodhounds for the rest of the race.

they have been building up to this for over two years now, step by step giving the players all the elements you need for stable 24h online events. the only thing really missing (and here's hoping it will be in the build) would be night/day transition.
anyone remember the days of simbin's original gtr where you could do the 24 hours of spa offline in four segments of six hours? if i rmember correctly, there was a little text at the top of the screen where it said: watch out, game stopped to switch to next time segment in 10 secs (or something along those lines) the game would stop even if you were in the middle of an overtake, there'd be a loading screen and then you would go on in the next time segment. you always hoped it would happen on one of the long straights ...
also, this title:

was huge fun, it had wonderful day night transitions, you could save the game at every pit so one could actually play 12 hour games or even 24 hour games in little bits and pieces. it had the weirdest ai-behaviour ever: the opponents were easy to overtake but once behind you they would go a couple of secs per lap faster than before, nipping at your rear like a pack of bloodhounds for the rest of the race.

GTR2, still one of my all time favourites :inlove: I think it will still live on because it got so many elements right.

:laugh: Oh Yes the Le Mans game. The AI was rather odd wasn't it? Still had lots of fun on it though and a good effort for it's time, it had fireworks didn't it and camera flash guns in the grandstands? Love the trailer, especially the GT-ONE:geek: The odd part I remember was the song used in the trailer was a total flop at the time and then it was used in a commercial about four years later and was a massive success :laugh:

Andreas Knöpke

Let's drive side by side!
A) Le Mans is the most boring track ever.

B) As of now iRacing doesn't have any LMP cars that make sense for the upcoming 24h race. If anybody now wants to shout HPD & GT1......Think twice! :p

C) I'll surely buy the track and and I'll continue hoping that we might get a decent car alongside the track with the September release but with the current cars Le Mans makes little sense.

Would give my left nut for a Le Mans with that quality in Assetto Corsa, my favourite track... iRacing is just way too expensive for me and not worth it, since I'm more of an offline gamer.

Not sure if this is possible or not. If a title like Assetto Corsa got permission to re-create Le Mans could they buy the laser scanning data from the iracing group rather than start from scratch? I would imagine the initial cost of the laser scanning data must be huge.

The odd part I remember was the song used in the trailer was a total flop at the time and then it was used in a commercial about four years later and was a massive success :laugh:

dandy warhols "bohemian like you", here's the vodafone spot you remember, and yes: we are slightly off topic :)

back on topic: can't the people who'd rather not buy into the iRacing subscription model just stay quiet? it does spoil every single thread on this game (give or take a few).

Matheus Machado

Talking Door Racing
Not sure if this is possible or not. If a title like Assetto Corsa got permission to re-create Le Mans could they buy the laser scanning data from the iracing group rather than start from scratch? I would imagine the initial cost of the laser scanning data must be huge.
Yes and no, since it would be probably cheaper to go and scan LM by themselves.
Even if they buy the point cloud, Kunos would still have to go and take some pictures, do a track reconaissance, because it isn't as simple as copy-pasting iRacing tracks. And considering the track is open to public road 350 days per year, it is really difficult.
You can notice that by the quality of AC laser-scanned tracks converted to rF2. It isn't a 1:1 conversion.

There is a laserscanned version for rFactor Pro though, so it isn't impossible.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 87 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 79 17.2%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.5%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 10.0%
  • €3001-5000