iRacing Animated Pit Crews to Release December 5th

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing Animated Pit Crew 2.jpg

iRacing hinted months ago that animated pit crews would be coming to the simulation, and it looks like December 5th has been confirmed as release date for this cool new feature...

Seeing as modern motorsports can often hang on the pitstop cycle to decide the outcome of a race, it is becoming more and more important for racing simulations to accurately simulate both the effects of tyre and fuel degradation, damage and of course the pitstop itself.

We already have driver swaps as standard in a lot of the current breed of simulation, additionally many of todays sims have some level of pitstop functionality, from simply stopping in a pre defined area and selecting your options to elaborate cut scenes or just simply stationary 2d figures. Well it looks like iRacing are set to take it to a new level in their iRacing simulation with the inclusion of animated pit crews coming this December 5th. Before getting too excited it is worth noting that these new animations will only be available for the headlining NASCAR series, with no confirmation as to if to the other content within the game will receive the same attention in future.

You can check out what the new animated crew looks like in the preview video below;

This new feature will be made available to the simulation as part of the next build update release on December 5th 2017.

iRacing.com is a PC exclusive online only subscription racing simulation available through the Steam network.

iRacing Animated Pit Crew 1.jpg
iRacing Animated Pit Crew 3.jpg

For more from the world of iRacing, including setup advice, news and community discussion, head over to the RaceDepartment iRacing sub forum and get yourself involved in the discussion.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you like the look of the iRacing animated pit crew feature? Looking forward to this being added to the simulation? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
This is absolutely hilarious timing.

NASCAR just announced two weeks ago that they were changing the pit crew procedure by limiting teams to one less over-the-wall member. It's part of a bigger initiative to cut costs. But what it means for iRacing is their shiny new pixel perfect system is going to be out of date in just three months time.
Most of the iRacing content is outdated by the time it arrives.

I suppose iRacing development time is very valuable. It takes the best part of a decade to get basic features NR2003 had, so that's a lot of staff time.

I used to play iRacing a LOT, it's great fun. But the excuses and nonsense on the forum drove me away from it. Years and years of development work for half arsed features, and then you get crap like "Yeah but that's a REAL sim". Aye sure mate. It's a game, just like all the others. It's not any better or worse than any other game, just people pretend it is.

As for the pit crew - they're pretty nice. Although it's sad that we're only now getting pit crews back. We had it 15 years ago in NR2003 and Grand Prix 4. So it's good to see we're finally back in the 00s with features, I guess?

I totally disagree with you. What harm to you if there was an offline version for single players? None.:rolleyes::thumbsdown:
I agree, there would be no harm, but offline and AI is not what iRacing want to do. It's not like there aren't plenty of alternatives to find just what you're looking for. Not every game/sim released will always meet everyone's requirements.

Plus, I'm surprised folks are so keen for an offline/AI opponent version of iRacing, considering the flak it gets for content, physics, graphics etc.

Plus, I'm surprised folks are so keen for an offline/AI opponent version of iRacing, considering the flak it gets for content, physics, graphics etc.
Well I like Nascar Racing and I have modded NR2003 to the hilt but I would like a single offline version of Iracing and if they could do it and sell for a premium, they would make even more money. The graphics are brilliant and now with animated pitstops, the game looks real good to me. And there are no real alternatives to proper Nascar racing either.

im glad that you totally disagree with me but let me explain you this in a different way.you have 7 sims out there that offers that.iracing and i dont know if you have tried iracing its totally different thing just trust me on this.if you havent just buy a month and go racing even in rookie.you will understand what i mean.it puts you in a totally different thinking and mood.

im glad that you totally disagree with me but let me explain you this in a different way.you have 7 sims out there that offers that.iracing and i dont know if you have tried iracing its totally different thing just trust me on this.if you havent just buy a month and go racing even in rookie.you will understand what i mean.it puts you in a totally different thinking and mood.

I know exactly what I am talking about. I used to do Iracing from its very start and did about 2 years of the rip off service.:rolleyes: No modern sims offer Nascar Racing proper either. Maybe you should enlighten yourself and try online racing here in the clubs too. :whistling:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 117 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 302 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 431 39.6%