Introducing the Toyota Celica ST185 for Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185 4.jpg

Reveal number four from the upcoming Ready to Race DLC for Assetto Corsa - presenting something slightly different in the form of the Toyota Celica ST185 WRC contender.

We fans are by now well aware that the next car pack from Kunos Simulazioni will be the 10 car strong 'Ready to Race' DLC, designed specifically for fans of racing vehicles and containing a nice mix of modern and historic machinery.

One of the more surprising inclusions into the pack comes in the form of the hugely successful WRC specification Toyota Celica ST185 featured in this article. With Assetto Corsa not particularly known for its loose surface simulation prowess, it is perhaps a little surprising to some to see such an iconic World Rally Championship car finding its way into the game as official paid content. Of course we had the venerable Audi Quattro as free content a few weeks ago, and many at the time thought that would be the beginning of the end for studio released rally spec cars.... not so according to Kunos.

With killer good looks and one of the best paint jobs in motorsport, the Celica could well be a real treat to behold once the 'Ready to Race' DLC pack goes live on Thursday.

Alongside the images revealed by Kunos today, the Italians are keeping up the tradition of writing a few short words about the car, which can be read below:

The Toyota Celica ST185 is Toyota's most successful rally car, winning the WRC Driver's Championship in 1992, and the WRC Manufacturer's and Driver's Championships in both 1993 and 1994.

In order to meet the Group A competition's homologation requirements, 5,000 GT-Four RC production versions of the Celica were manufactured, starting from September 1989.

The Toyota Celica ST185 made its debut at the Monte Carlo Rally, the opening round of the 1992 World Rally Championship series, but it wasn't until mid-season did it then become successful

Ready to Race DLC Contents:
  • Audi R8 LMS 2016
  • Audi R18 e-tron Quattro
  • Audi TT Cup 2016
  • Audi TT RS (VLN)
  • Lotus 3-Eleven
  • Maserati MC12 GT1
  • McLaren 570S
  • McLaren P1 GTR
  • Toyota Celica ST185 Turbo
  • Toyota TS040 Hybrid

Alongside the new DLC pack will come the version 1.14 game update which looks set to contain a number of new and improved features. As a little teaser Kunos have revealed some of the following changes will be included in the new build release:
  • Added wind algorithm
  • Added AI Aggression selection
  • More AI differences within a single lap to generate more battles
  • Added AI wing setup variations
  • New AI algorithms for understeer detection and downshifting
  • Improved Downshift Protection
  • Updated Steam statistic reader to synchronize steam achievement

Assetto Corsa is a racing simulation designed by Kunos Simulazioni and is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. The 'Ready to Race' DLC is scheduled to launch on Thursday 18th May.

Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185 3.jpg
Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185  2.jpg
Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185 .jpg

Oh boy do we like mods! If you do too then we have you covered with our fantastic Assetto Corsa modding archive. From downloads to a place for mod discussion, we have it all for you to enjoy, check it out today! If you don't fancy trying out some of the awesome community created tracks and cars then drop in on our Assetto Corsa sub forum to chat about the game with your fellow fans. Interaction and threads make forums fun, so start one today!

We hold regular league and club racing events across a variety of content found within the game, however to celebrate this mega new inclusion to Assetto Corsa we are holding a very special on off GT1 specification race on Sunday 21st May. Sign up here and get yourself in on the action.

Looking forward to some sideways action? How do you feel about prominent rally cars being added to Assetto Corsa? Would you like to see an official Kunos created rally stage to test the car on? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Again, I can spot the differences even from the first screenshot they posted. I don't have superpowers, but I've been doing this for many years and I can easily tell when a car is properly represented in 3D or not.

Funny how any modeler with experience here agrees with my point of view, and the rest are just fanboys trying to defend something that's right there in your face.
We have one, if not the best simulator out there today, why we should expect less from Kunos? there's my disappointment when I see a model with so many flaws like this (yeah the Miura is another story, doesn't even have the classic "eyelashes" on the headlights, just to start).
If it were a mod, hell, it's damn fine and I'm sure the author wouldn't mind to fix these small issues. But coming as official licensed content? come on!

"You're just a hater that doesnt like AC and complains about everything! Why cant you just be happy with the game and enjoy what is there!?"

When you have to resort to calling someone a fanboy/hater to make your argument... you have already lost and your entire statement can be taken less seriously. You instantly shut down any discussion and discourse when you use language like that, because it proves you are not open to seeing different views or having a proper dialogue about the subject.

Beside that, it's downright stupid and that sort of garbage hyperbole has no place here when discussing something with someone that has a slightly different view than yourself. Calling someone a fanboy serves no purpose in getting others to see your view more clearly or join your side of an argument.

"Im taller than you so I know more about basketball than you." "Im faster than you so I know more about football than you." "Im a 3d modeller so I know better than you even though Im not comparing the same car/livery as the previews."

Dont talk like that man. Be better than that.

I made a reasonable statement that it may be better to compare the car with the exact livery and from the same race as the one Kunos is modelling. As there have been numerous times in the past where someone says something is wrong with a car... only for Kunos to respond that they modeled a specific version of the car, and it was in fact accurate.

No need to shout down the sun over that m8.

• Deleted member 130869

click arrow for post

Nate, the guy and a couple of others offered feedback - and sure a hint of frustration but so what? - over pages where some people wanted to settle for less. It's not exclusive to this game. It gets very tiring. You do have a point on "be better than that" but when you are not just a layman and you face regular resistance, it stops being so simple. Jumping into these arguments without knowledge or adequate analogy isn't the very best thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still surprised on how pointing out some mistakes on a 3D model can become something that personal, to the point of having someone telling me it's "unprofessional" because I posted it in public.

Anyway, nice to hear an official answer, too bad it's not being taken good care of.

I'm sorry but you misunderstood most of my points:
- It has never been personal, that's my point!
- It's not unprofessional by itself, it's unprofessional coming from someone who has previously talked to us about potential work and who already knows how to contact the person who can do anything about it. In any other workplace something like this could bite you in the back. Do you think we'd maintain any sort of professional relationship if one of our existing contract artists did this?
- It's not an official answer, it's just me saying things on a public forum at an ungodly hour.

Anyway, this does not belong here, we have our private conversation, although there's really not much to add.

Last edited:
As for the Celica itself, I have made a post with a wall of text on the official forums regarding the AE86 when it was the timely centre of drama, I can only repeat myself. Yes, everything can always better, but we have a limited budget of time/artist/reference material/manufacturer feedback that we have to resort to, so the end result will go accordingly. You can interpret it in any way you like.
You wrote, regarding the AE86; "Personally I think in terms of how this model is represented in other games (who very likely had the same resources as us), it is among the high-quality ones when it comes to shape and especially details." which is objectively false.
Having A3DR pointing out these flaws public is not unprofessional at all, unless he has a contract with you. Unprofessional is you posting these internals here and basically implying that the Celica and Hachiroku will remain at sub-par quality. It's a shame that Kunos greenlights these things, especially when you consider that Assetto Corsa is currently the racing simulation and usually has a very high standard.

I'm a really big AC fan, I love the game, I find Kunos' achievements incredible, but these are also exactly the reasons, why it upsets me so much with these iconic cars. It also kills my trust in future DLC packs.

EDIT: It also doesn't speak for Toyota's QA department.

Kunos learned Japanese marketing techniques, OMAKE.
R8 LMS, TT RS and MC12 are the good value on this DLC. Other cars are OMAKE.
So you guys take it easy... and pay additional charge for DLC.

I have definitely no clue how it is possible to get such conclusions before the DLC is out. Maybe the Celica got issues, but damn, will you one day teach me how to evaluate the quality from a limited number of screenshots ?

You wrote, regarding the AE86; "Personally I think in terms of how this model is represented in other games (who very likely had the same resources as us), it is among the high-quality ones when it comes to shape and especially details." which is objectively false.
Having A3DR pointing out these flaws public is not unprofessional at all, unless he has a contract with you. Unprofessional is you posting these internals here and basically implying that the Celica and Hachiroku will remain at sub-par quality. It's a shame that Kunos greenlights these things, especially when you consider that Assetto Corsa is currently the racing simulation and usually has a very high standard.

I'm a really big AC fan, I love the game, I find Kunos' achievements incredible, but these are also exactly the reasons, why it upsets me so much with these iconic cars. It also kills my trust in future DLC packs.

He has every right to do so, I only brought our private conversation up because he had done it in the first place, and the way he did might have implied the wrong impression. I simply wrote him a civilized email asking why he did not contact me, because given his previous intentions, I don't believe the best way to bringing something to our attention in this regard is to cause stir on a public forum instead of using an established, direct communication channel. That's it, I don't think it is unreasonable.

Regarding what's par and sub-par to release, it's up to us to decide, whereas you have your wallet to vote with and gauge the significance of a certain aspect of a €0.80 piece of content.
If you want to see a trend behind it, it's unfortunate, I think you should judge by the previous 30 or so cars that we've released in the last 10 months (plus the 10 coming now) and tell me if there really is a decay.

I have definitely no clue how it is possible to get such conclusions before the DLC is out. Maybe the Celica got issues, but damn, will you one day teach me how to evaluate the quality from a limited number of screenshots ?
It's actually very easy and was done so several times in this thread.
To sum up some stuff again: Headlight shape, wheel arches, rear bumper, taillights, front bumper, roof scoop, rear window...
He has every right to do so, I only brought our private conversation up because he had done it in the first place, and the way he did might have implied the wrong impression. I simply wrote him a civilized email asking why he did not contact me, because given his previous intentions, I don't believe the best way to bringing something to our attention in this regard is to cause stir on a public forum instead of using an established, direct communication channel. That's it, I don't think it is unreasonable.
Maybe he's just as frustrated as I am, considering how obvious these issues are and how you guys handled the Hachiroku. Since Kunos handled the latter pretty bad, he might not think that anything changes with a nice private message. Also, if he didn't point it out, someone else would've done it sooner or later.

Regarding what's par and sub-par to release, it's up to us to decide, whereas you have your wallet to vote with and gauge the significance of a certain aspect of a €0.80 piece of content.
If you want to see a trend behind it, it's unfortunate, I think you should judge by the previous 30 or so cars that we've released in the last 10 months (plus the 10 coming now) and tell me if there really is a decay.
Compared to the usual quality of Kunos it is sub-par, there's nothing to decide. I'd want to vote with my wallet, but the other content is held "hostage" this way (please don't put too much weight into my choice of words here). I'm also waiting now for comparisons with other cars. There's NO reason for me to buy it, when the TS040 is screwed up for example.

Maybe he's just as frustrated as I am, considering how obvious these issues are and how you guys handled the Hachiroku. Since Kunos handled the latter pretty bad, he might not think that anything changes with a nice private message. Also, if he didn't point it out, someone else would've done it sooner or later.
And the fact that I've never brought up any private conversations here, only mention that I've got contacted in that regard, that's all.

The car is public, so my opinion should be as well, just like from any other guy out there.
I should not be accused of being unprofessional while I don't work for Kunos, neither signed a NDA or have any private business with them. I'm not at fault here, just for pointing out the obvious.
There's no professional relationship with Gergo or Kunos whatsoever, so I don't want to hear any more accusations towards myself in that regard.

I'm just another guy writing his opinion like anybody else, never intended to make a personal business out of this.

I've never brought up any private conversations here, only mention that I've got contacted in that regard

I'm sorry but this is a contradiction. That's the definition of "bringing something up".

Aaanyway. There were no accusations, I just said the approach you chose was surprising to me, given the circumstances, period. I did not accuse you of anything. I said I thought it was unprofessional in my view (which I maintain). You can do whatever you want of course, but what you posted about is secondary here. My point was that you had a very clear option to choose to signal whatever you think is wrong with the car, and you chose the route that is less constructive, less direct, more dramatic and involves way more people and internet space than necessary. That's my bottom line.

It's actually very easy and was done so several times in this thread.
To sum up some stuff again: Headlight shape, wheel arches, rear bumper, taillights, front bumper, roof scoop, rear window...

The post I quoted was not focused on the Celica, but rather the whole bunch of cars featured on that DLC.

That guy basically said that all of it except the R8, TT and MC12 are badly executed and not worth it, and this based on nothing but 2/3 screenshots per car.

The post I quoted was not focused on the Celica, but rather the whole bunch of cars featured on that DLC.

That guy basically said that all of it except the R8, TT and MC12 are badly executed and not worth it, and this based on nothing but 2/3 screenshots per car.
Okay sorry! Although even one screenshot can be enough when it's really bad.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back