Introducing the Toyota Celica ST185 for Assetto Corsa

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185 4.jpg

Reveal number four from the upcoming Ready to Race DLC for Assetto Corsa - presenting something slightly different in the form of the Toyota Celica ST185 WRC contender.

We fans are by now well aware that the next car pack from Kunos Simulazioni will be the 10 car strong 'Ready to Race' DLC, designed specifically for fans of racing vehicles and containing a nice mix of modern and historic machinery.

One of the more surprising inclusions into the pack comes in the form of the hugely successful WRC specification Toyota Celica ST185 featured in this article. With Assetto Corsa not particularly known for its loose surface simulation prowess, it is perhaps a little surprising to some to see such an iconic World Rally Championship car finding its way into the game as official paid content. Of course we had the venerable Audi Quattro as free content a few weeks ago, and many at the time thought that would be the beginning of the end for studio released rally spec cars.... not so according to Kunos.

With killer good looks and one of the best paint jobs in motorsport, the Celica could well be a real treat to behold once the 'Ready to Race' DLC pack goes live on Thursday.

Alongside the images revealed by Kunos today, the Italians are keeping up the tradition of writing a few short words about the car, which can be read below:

The Toyota Celica ST185 is Toyota's most successful rally car, winning the WRC Driver's Championship in 1992, and the WRC Manufacturer's and Driver's Championships in both 1993 and 1994.

In order to meet the Group A competition's homologation requirements, 5,000 GT-Four RC production versions of the Celica were manufactured, starting from September 1989.

The Toyota Celica ST185 made its debut at the Monte Carlo Rally, the opening round of the 1992 World Rally Championship series, but it wasn't until mid-season did it then become successful

Ready to Race DLC Contents:
  • Audi R8 LMS 2016
  • Audi R18 e-tron Quattro
  • Audi TT Cup 2016
  • Audi TT RS (VLN)
  • Lotus 3-Eleven
  • Maserati MC12 GT1
  • McLaren 570S
  • McLaren P1 GTR
  • Toyota Celica ST185 Turbo
  • Toyota TS040 Hybrid

Alongside the new DLC pack will come the version 1.14 game update which looks set to contain a number of new and improved features. As a little teaser Kunos have revealed some of the following changes will be included in the new build release:
  • Added wind algorithm
  • Added AI Aggression selection
  • More AI differences within a single lap to generate more battles
  • Added AI wing setup variations
  • New AI algorithms for understeer detection and downshifting
  • Improved Downshift Protection
  • Updated Steam statistic reader to synchronize steam achievement

Assetto Corsa is a racing simulation designed by Kunos Simulazioni and is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. The 'Ready to Race' DLC is scheduled to launch on Thursday 18th May.

Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185 3.jpg
Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185  2.jpg
Assetto Corsa Toyota Celica ST185 .jpg

Oh boy do we like mods! If you do too then we have you covered with our fantastic Assetto Corsa modding archive. From downloads to a place for mod discussion, we have it all for you to enjoy, check it out today! If you don't fancy trying out some of the awesome community created tracks and cars then drop in on our Assetto Corsa sub forum to chat about the game with your fellow fans. Interaction and threads make forums fun, so start one today!

We hold regular league and club racing events across a variety of content found within the game, however to celebrate this mega new inclusion to Assetto Corsa we are holding a very special on off GT1 specification race on Sunday 21st May. Sign up here and get yourself in on the action.

Looking forward to some sideways action? How do you feel about prominent rally cars being added to Assetto Corsa? Would you like to see an official Kunos created rally stage to test the car on? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Looks like a road car to me ,
WRC Have detatchable front clips for quick mending ,
The Kunos car as a solid floor pan , No seam at the wing at all ,
Just like a road car ,
Also side repeaters , Also like the road car :)
Hope they update it ..
Later car has a lot of those things different and matching AC - roof scoop, door handle, side trim.
2CIHB32.jpg

There's still the overall shapes of body panels which are not that close to correct though. I wonder if Toyota provides 3d blueprints that are plain wrong or something. This and both AE86 and GT86 are way off. Supra's fine but not one of the best in AC.

I think that Kunos may have based their model on this drawing, especially if you look at the thin black frame inside back window (albeit this is clearly the Safari Rally version...) possible?

http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints-depot/cars/toyota/toyota-celica-gt-four.gif

Also, a Tamiya scale model shows the same 'issue' (given that maybe that was a special version with a super-light rear window... specifically made for certain races...)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/...te-Carlo Rally Winner ST185 d_zps7s8hyxqa.jpg

tumblr_ldho6aaPNW1qanlclo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m0hqcmxMpD1qanlclo3_r3_1280.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

This one shows Nice the floor pan cuts
N4hXhUwdTZeGLjOX527EPw

aVQhNZ_yQkamQbNnE2lOwg

e9413c85dd291cc7ff0a69dc65d0eaf2.jpg

1993-toyota-celica-gt-four-st185-rally-car-at-goodwood-festival-of-AFB58J.jpg

3d2a658c936677d2e6969c52d5f9499c.jpg

33upvdf.jpg

MC93-Auriol.jpg

Looked at over 50 pics , Cant see any at all with side repeaters ,
Or the Fuel position of the Kunos car ,
And thats just the start :)

Really strange...

Old scale models having the very same 'issue'... uhmm

8017-2.jpg
When you base your car on old die-cast models, at least make sure that model is accurate, blegh.
Even that model has at least the correct roof scoop and rear bumper from what I can tell.
The proportions are WAY off. My thread on the official forums got locked, because the update "isn't even out yet", but I doubt they'll fix it.

Oh and by the way, I noticed these issues before A3DR pointed them out.
I know my car shapes, don't care if you don't.

When you base your car on old die-cast models, at least make sure that model is accurate, blegh.
Even that model has at least the correct roof scoop and rear bumper from what I can tell.
The proportions are WAY off. My thread on the official forums got locked, because the update "isn't even out yet", but I doubt they'll fix it.

Lets be civilized about this ,
No one needs to argue here ,
Someone was just pointing out some "defects" and "flaws" , In this car ,
If its WIP , Why spent time modelling the fuel cap in a different position ,
Or creating parts like the side repeaters that dont exist ,
No one saying the car is fictional at any stretch ,
We are sure it will get fixed if someone sees these issues ,
Lets wait and see what gets said about it ,

Do not start a lynch mob just yet son ;)

You dared to start such a thread on their own house... :roflmao: sheez, now I can understand better why I've got contacted through email by them about this... not to fix it sadly, but well, I'm still surprised by the ***tstorm this unleashed.
One positive side of this, it shows that the community wants and expects quality content, won't settle for less. Glad to know I'm not the only one around.

A little late, but....
63258713.jpg

Well, given that the vast majority of the cars included in Assetto Corsa are almost identical to their real life counterparts and highly detailed... i humbly think:
a) it's odd they failed on this car, and so much!
b) we should all give them the benefit of doubt and wait to download the car tomorrow!
c) maybe it's a mistake, and mistakes happen, yes: they could eventually fix it later!
d) we should take all this with a smile, after all AC is just a game/simulation... and if you would complain about the cost of the DL pack well, just think we could always save 10 bucks by renouncing to drink some coffee for a week (which is good for our health, too ahah)!

Well, given that the vast majority of the cars included in Assetto Corsa are almost identical to their real life counterparts and highly detailed... i humbly think:
a) it's odd they failed on this car, and so much!
b) we should all give them the benefit of doubt and wait to download the car tomorrow!
c) maybe it's a mistake, and mistakes happen, yes: they could eventually fix it later!
d) we should take all this with a smile, after all AC is just a game/simulation... and if you would complain about the cost of the DL pack well, just think we could always save 10 bucks by renouncing to drink some coffee for a week (which is good for our health, too ahah)!

That's the thing, if all the cars were poorly made we'd all have just accepted that it was part of AC - but for the most part they are really good, which makes the oddities stand out.

Yes I'd like to wait and see till tomorrow to fully judge a lot of aspects, though some are undeniable even with what we've already seen.

Will they fix it? Highly unlikely, they never with the AE86 (which requires similar amounts of work to bring up to standard). Personally, I'd have just held it back, not shown it and fix it with a delay. I don't feel they can do that now, they'd face even more criticism.

And yes, its not the end of the world, just a little disappointing given the high standards Kunos have previously set. I'll still drive and enjoy it, I don't think anyone is claiming it 'undriveable'.

That's the thing, if all the cars were poorly made we'd all have just accepted that it was part of AC - but for the most part they are really good, which makes the oddities stand out.

Yes I'd like to wait and see till tomorrow to fully judge a lot of aspects, though some are undeniable even with what we've already seen.

Will they fix it? Highly unlikely, they never with the AE86 (which requires similar amounts of work to bring up to standard). Personally, I'd have just held it back, not shown it and fix it with a delay. I don't feel they can do that now, they'd face even more criticism.

And yes, its not the end of the world, just a little disappointing given the high standards Kunos have previously set. I'll still drive and enjoy it, I don't think anyone is claiming it 'undriveable'.
I think this is all that needed to be said ,
Last few comments really sum it up ,
They have a 99% quality rate ,
I can only presume the same guy must be making these 2 cars ,
Because everything else is top notch ........

Yeah this is really not nitpicking things that are specific to one model year (like if they put 1992 turn signals and 1993 roof scoop, whatever, can live with it), it's just fundamentally the entire car's shape is way off to the point it's noticeable in every screenshot of it.

Just to clarify a few things, before people get the wrong impression:

It was me who contacted @A3DR in person to ask him why he chose to keep insisting on the issues with the Celica model everywhere except personally with me, when he knows perfectly well where to find me. I believe that if the intent was ever going to be constructive feedback, the first place to make a post about should not have been Facebook and the second here on RD.
All this considering the fact that we have had previous discussion about a potential professional cooperation, and regardless of the criticism, regardless of how justified it might be, regardless of artistic skills, I do not think it is very professional behaviour, above all considering how the community likes to blow things out of proportion (pun not intented). I brought it up because it had been brought up before me (again, not quite sure why it was necessary to bring up our private correspondance on a public forum).

As for the Celica itself, I have made a post with a wall of text on the official forums regarding the AE86 when it was the timely centre of drama, I can only repeat myself. Yes, everything can always better, but we have a limited budget of time/artist/reference material/manufacturer feedback that we have to resort to, so the end result will go accordingly. You can interpret it in any way you like.

I still don't think an explanation is always due though, especially that this universe has seen far worse models before in commercial games, so take it as you wish.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 84 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 67 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • < 5 years