Interesting interview

Thanks for this G-Slev.
Feels like purgatory waiting for improvements to things like drivetrain and the min tyre pressures bug/situation. I'm sure it's the same for SP enthusiasts with stuff like AI not slipstreaming and not overtaking in certain situations. Hard to have too much faith anymore after 4 years waiting for the new UI and competition system to get out out of the way of improvements to the things that so many of us want.

I have to say though, Marcel seems very genuine and I'm sure his intentions are sincere. On the delivery of these intentions, time will tell I guess. I just hope things speed up once this flippin UI is released. I'm not holding my breath anymore though, just enjoying rF2 as it is. Anything more is a bonus.

Please can we have some historic tin tops Marcel? YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE! :D

Last edited:
Thanks for this G-Slev.
Feels like purgatory waiting for improvements to things like drivetrain and the min tyre pressures bug/situation. I'm sure it's the same for SP enthusiasts with stuff like AI not slipstreaming and not overtaking in certain situations. Hard to have too much faith anymore after 4 years waiting for the new UI and competition system to get out out of the way of improvements to the things that so many of us want.

I have to say though, Marcel seems very genuine and I'm sure his intentions are sincere. On the delivery of these intentions, time will tell I guess. I just hope things speed up once this flippin UI is released. I'm not holding my breath anymore though, just enjoying rF2 as it is. Anything more is a bonus.

I can only agree 100% to this post. For me, the physics model of rF2 is far superior to that of other sims, and Marcel and the rest of the team come across as very sincere and sympathetic.

I am familiar with software development, and I can very well imagine that when inheriting a sh*tload of code that goes back up to 20 years, it can be very difficult to disentangle everything and make even the tiniest bit of adjustments.
But 4 years of work for an UI seems a lot to me...

At Studio 397 it sometimes seems as if they don't have enough resources or knowledge at their disposal to finish everything smoothly and on time. And while I understand that they have a business to run, it doesn't help either that they use their core team to complete other assignments (Amazon GT). I hope the new thing they're setting up with the World eX Championship won't slow down rF2 development much.

My hope is that once they finish up the UI and competition system, in 2021 they will be able to direct the focus a bit to some long overdue physics updates such as a proper drivetrain model and the tyre pressure bug. And I'd love to see some historic content too!

My hope is that once they finish up the UI and competition system, in 2021 they will be able to direct the focus a bit to some long overdue physics updates such as a proper drivetrain model and the tyre pressure bug. And I'd love to see some historic content too!

To add to this. They have made much progress on shaders, materials and goodies.
However, there are much content (arguably the vast majority being ISI-stuff, but still, official content) that are not updated to modern standards. I wish they could do that as well. As now it's slightly Hit'n'Miss even with official content.
Not that it matters too much for me, I feel like I've gained enough experience and knowledge to sort out the majority of stuff in terms of club racing. However, it would make it better for new players/those who are not a big fan of mods!

There is also what Marcel said about supporting modding. We are aware of efforts to make modding easier, but I really hope this gains traction. When you look at the amount and quality of mods for AC nowadays, a similar modding scene for rF2 would reduce the need for official historic content (IMO).

BTW, I'm not an AC fanboy (I much prefer rF2) and I sincerely hope that my comments don't spark any "my sim is better" comments. Let's keep this on topic please. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
for someone who makes cars or tracks it is very tempting to go to assetto corsa since its graphics system is very easy to use and its materials can cover any errors in the model, obviously it would be great to have more modding in RF2.

I think that if they continue with the current model and keep updating things gradually RF2 will attract more the attention of modders

Marcel is one of the developers with a genuine passion for SIM driving/racing. Not just in it for the money, but making a living out of his passion. Remarquable.
I am a very lucky man in my relation with SIM, as opposed to some who find RF2 so superior to others that it prevents them from enjoying the other SIMs on their hard drive. I enjoy AC, ACC, R3E, PC2, AMS2 and RF2, all in VR.
So for me no shortage of content, just endless hours of SIM fun.
My advice to those with RF2 only good enough for them syndrome is remember that all SIM on your hard drive are your SIM now, so even if RF2 appears to you so different because it is well suited to your rig, take the time to make the other SIM on your drive also good to you instead of booting them for 5 minutes from times to times just to confirm your bias.
The same also applies to those you find RF2 not so good.
We live in a SIM golden age, with so much fantastic combo to enjoy from so many SIM, restricting ourself to one is not the wisest choice, as none of them can be considered complete in any way, shape or form.
Happy thanksgiving from Canada and happy SIM driving/racing.

Last edited:
When you look at the amount and quality of mods for AC nowadays, a similar modding scene for rF2 would reduce the need for official historic content (IMO).

So it is okay they break copyright as long as they quality

rF2 GT is $8AU a car and one AC mod site sells the new Corvette for $13AU that is 50% dearer
They have no overheads or responsibility or duty

To top it off every time there is new rf2 car they whine about how expensive it is

What a giggle (IMO)

Last edited:
So it is okay they break copyright as long as they quality

rF2 GT is $8AU a car and one AC mod site sells the new Corvette for $13AU that is 50% dearer
They have no overheads or responsibility or duty

To top it off every time there is new rf2 car they whine about how expensive it is

What a giggle (IMO)
What? I wasn't talking about pay mods. Where on earth did you get that from????

The point I was making was that I've seen many modders claim that it's far easier to mod in... for example AC than it is in rF2. Surely I don't need to trawl through old posts in order to give examples? DazzerX mods in rF2 and he seems to agree with my point.

Anyway, IMO my theory is supported by the number of presentable (IMO) mods (especially historic content, which is what interests me) in the mod download section here at RD (for example). Therefore, I was applauding what Marcel had to say about continuing to improve support for modding in rF2. Fingers crossed this will increase the number of quality mods in rF2.

Why on earth would you twist that to imply that I support copyright infringement in AC. Just doesn't make sense to me...... ?????? I even stated that I much prefer rF2 to AC for goodness sake.

I'll be honest, this feels like a personal attack, completely out of the blue. Please don't quote my posts to make a point which has no relevance to anything I've said (or written). Especially in such a way that infers that I support copyright infringement. Of course I don't support illegal pays mods, quite the opposite.

Thanks for this G-Slev.

exactly my thoughts

I'll sum up the video:

We know there are some major gripes people have about the physics. We acknowledge they exist and would like to fix them but we will likely never get around to it because it makes us no money and coding is hard. Also most of the ISI content is DOA and we don't even have some of the source code so we couldn't even update it if we wanted to, but please buy the new content we are selling.

I agree with Denis, play Rfactor 2 for the great sim it is but don't expect them to suddenly fix the myriad of issues or the game to suddenly get popular or offer an excellent offline experience.

Hi, in my opinion the most important part about rfactor that should be updated, is the fact that it almost utilizes only one core, not 4, not even 3. with a good multithread engine, every thing could be updated. It is a shame, because it is really, the best sim, in existence.

Hi, in my opinion the most important part about rfactor that should be updated, is the fact that it almost utilizes only one core, not 4, not even 3. with a good multithread engine, every thing could be updated. It is a shame, because it is really, the best sim, in existence.

You can check the exact thread usage of rF2 with a tool called Process Explorer (right click rF2 process -> Properties -> Threads). Unless something is wrongly configured, you'll find out rF2 uses about three threads moderately and another five or so lightly. This is pretty much in line with what other DX11 sims are using, so yeah, more than four cores will see very small benefits, but it's the same with other sims.

Well, i play only in VR, so i use fpsVR, but when my son is playing, I open the Hwinfo64, and there is the same, almost exclusive core2 hovering between 45% and 80% and 2 other cores, that are at 10%, 15 max! the others threads have no expression. If i compare with Pcars2, i have 4 cores at 45% more or less, well my cpu in rfactor2 hovers between 45ºc and 51ºc, in pcars2 55ºc - 60ºc, and i don´t use avx2 in pcars2. To tell the true, the only problem i ve is with Targa Fiorio and F1 70 historic, i cannot drive there, not even with a single car, in VR, with everything at low, and all the tricks in the json files. I can play with 33 f1 1970 historic cars, in all "normal" circuit (almost everything in high), but in the Nordschleif (play with 15 cars= okish) and targa fiorio, i really cannot drive there in that class i like so much. I still have a 5960x, OC at 4400 with 32gb at 3055, rock solid.

Last edited:

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 236 87.7%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 49 18.2%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 37 13.8%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 39 14.5%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 72 26.8%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 90 33.5%