Intel i7 overclock

I have an Asus G73 laptop with an Intel i7 quad core. It has a factory option to (turbo boost, basicaly overclock) two of the cores when needed. I was racing at Singapore tonight (lots of lights, stars, bling bling) and It seemed to be challenging all my settings which I was running on high. So I hit my turbo boost button....right away the frame rate got better. I mean it just smoothed right out and looked great, but then it started to "syncronize" every 5 - 10 seconds, adjusting the milliseconds or something. I thought maybe if I left the server and rejoined with overclocking already on it would solve this, but it did not. As soon as I turn overclock off, the syncro problem quits. I really don't understand why it would do this. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? On my old laptop I would manually overclock the duo core all the time with positive results. One would think that a factory overclock option would be a stable one, but now I am not so sure.

I have an Asus G73 laptop with an Intel i7 quad core. It has a factory option to (turbo boost, basicaly overclock) two of the cores when needed. I was racing at Singapore tonight (lots of lights, stars, bling bling) and It seemed to be challenging all my settings which I was running on high. So I hit my turbo boost button....right away the frame rate got better. I mean it just smoothed right out and looked great, but then it started to "syncronize" every 5 - 10 seconds, adjusting the milliseconds or something. I thought maybe if I left the server and rejoined with overclocking already on it would solve this, but it did not. As soon as I turn overclock off, the syncro problem quits. I really don't understand why it would do this. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? On my old laptop I would manually overclock the duo core all the time with positive results. One would think that a factory overclock option would be a stable one, but now I am not so sure.

Not sure why you would struggle at all with the i7 quad core. Im racing with an E6550 Duo core only 2GB of ram and a GTS250 and I never have any issues anywhere.

I dont think you need to overclock that CPU, that thing should power a small city.

I have a i7 950 @ Stock speeds and a GTX470 and dont have any problems no matter how big the grid and how much bling, everythign is running at full also. You arent going to be able to overclock much at all without a decent cooler and as its a laptop id stay well clear, as you know they get hot enough as it is.

Overclocking a laptop is asking for trouble, they get too hot, and i'd bet thats part of your problem, you will see issues like that when you're overheating or not upping the voltage accordingly.

Yes just wanna second that. Never overclock a laptop. I recently lost my own laptop due to overheating, I bought it for about 2000 euros and the reason it overheated wasnt overclocking but just pusing it a little hard with software and not allowing cool air to flow under it.

I have an i7 920 with a GTX285 and with everything at max/highest etc it flies. But! be it rFactor, GTR-Evo or Race 07 etc, I get blank screens where it synchronises. Annoying is an understatment.
I did some research (a lot actually) and experimented and found that when I put V-SYNC on it all stopped. Also,the graphics did not suffer one bit.
A lot of the guys in my club disagree with my findings. However, looking at it plain and simple: a LCD monitor runs at 60HZ, this being 60 fps and if your grafix card is running at 120 fps, the moitor cannot handle it so blanks the screen to sync. Therefore, locking the output to 60 makes sense. Its something like that anyway, and the technical info goes on for pages and pages. Since I have V-Sync'd I dont get problems, so try that with your laptop and it may run better, and cooler!

I would agree with most and really not OC a laptop CPU, your asking for trouble tbh. I have an i7 920 running at 4GHz 24/7 but use 4.4GHz for benching but i have some serious cooling going on in my case and it handles it.

All the sims we have now you really should not need to clock an i7 but i play alot of other stuff aswell so i like high clocks. iRacing inpaticular i see a massive improvment when clocking as it's so CPU intensive.

Run with no vsync though due to input lag otherwise. Plus you don't need vsync as most of the sims you can limit the fps in the config files.

My highest clock so far but it's with air..

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 317 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 217 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 159 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 276 13.5%