Installing more than one rFactor without using rFactor lite

Kai Hiwatari

@Simberia
Hi, I'm still very new to rFactor itself so its probably why I'm having so much trouble with it.

I have the special edition 2008 version and it works fine, with the V8s installed via SimSync.

I used lite to try and install the Clio league stuff onto it. I got the stuff downloaded, but can never get into the server, game just sits there doing nothing,and if I drop to desktop, it crashes. I re-installed lite and Clio mod but still ran into the same problem.

Someone suggested just installing the game several times, like one for each mod (so 1 for Clios, 2 for V8s, club & league, 1 for WTM when it comes back, 1 for DRM, 1 for Porsche, 1 for Endurance/LeMans, etc etc.) but each time I try to install a mod to the new install folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactorClio) I get a "access denied" or "must be installed in directory folder." SimSync also suffers from this issue when I try to install it in the Clio folder.

Really stumped on what to do. I know rFactor has issues with mod mixing, so I really want to get this fixed, as I really want to try out the best mods on rFactor, especially when this is where mods originate from 9 out of 10 for games like the Race Series.

One install should be enough to run your mods and league stuff without any problem. Firstly I'd install the full version of rFactor because some mods and tracks look for original rF content that may not be in rF Lite. With this access denied stuff it sounds like your running Windows 7 OS. Right click on the rF exe and run as Admin to get around that one. Now to get online you may need to firstly go into MP Settings and set that for online. Below the Match maker address you'll see Connection Type. Set this to your internet capability. Then on the bottom of the list you'll see Refresh List Type. Set this to Internet. There is others things in this list but they should change automatically for you. There is one named Spectate. Make sure this shows Off. Or if you just want to watch others racing then you can join with this on. Now when you go to MP Join Game the server list should show up. Search for the server that suits you and join. Hopefully.

As for Simsync I've used it and had no trouble with it. It needs to be given a pathway to your rFactor install to access it so having more then one install means you can only use Simsync for one of those installs. Much the same as Modmanager.

I assume you are using WIndows Vista/7? With simsync, make sure you have the two files in the main directory. Then run the .exe as administrator. That should work. With the mods, save them to your documents or somewhere similar, extract them there, and then cut and paste them into your rFactor folder.

Extracting to another location then manually installing is fine for those that know how to but it's not a good idea for all of us. Tracks are simple enough but car mod can get confusing for some. Adam I think you mean Copy & Paste.

I wouldn't actually recommend using one install for everything, as some mods and tracks have compatibility issues.

Also, most (good) mods generally only use some stock sounds, rather than vehicle files, and there is a download somewhere (can't remember where exactly) where you can get the 1255 sound pack.

I would wholeheartedly recommend multiple installs via lite. I can't see any argument against it really.

Having multiple installs are fine I wasn't suggesting it was a bad idea. Though for some one who is new to this going down the road of multiple installs can get confusing and messy till you get more experience with moving things around. Multiple installs can mean multiple track duplicates for a newbie. Yes I do know you can have 1 track file for all installs. I have mine set up this way but again this requires changes to rF's config pathways so for now lets get Kai up and running with the basics hey.

He's having trouble installing mods because of administrator permission and getting the server list to show up. These are basic things that you only need install to sort out first. Did you get the server thing sorted out Kia? Was it just the MP Settings? Or is there more to it?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 306 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 155 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.6%