1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Installation

Discussion in 'Richard Burns Rally' started by Roger Snead, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Greetings to all :)Just picked up a copy of RBR.
    I have been told to install RBR into PC path as C/Richard Burns Rally because of the administrator stuff. I am a pc noob. I have it set up my pc to where anyone can access/ run my PC w/o having to have admin priv. Its just automatic. no security hoops.
    With that said, is it ok to let it install it in the default location, Program files x86? I plan on installing the big add on....RSRB 2012 later. That should be really interesting. :rolleyes:
    When I put the disc in it asked me if it could install in this path.....C/...Sci games/Richard Burns Rally. I thought that looked right except it had the Sci games (something close to that..memory bad) I clicked Ok and then it showed the green loading bar with it installing in Program files(x86). I aborted. It gave me the Browse option of where to install but like I said, it looked right...almost. No mention of (x86) I will be trying again, so should I click "Browse" and have it exactly......C/Richard Burns Rally? After I select "Browse" can I just clear the space and type that in, or will it come up that way? Is that the correct path........... C/Richard Burns Rally?
    Sorry, I am such a Pc noob and am probably complicating everthing. Thanks a lot.

2. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

Hi Zebrawire,
    Which version of Windows are you using?
    If it is Win 7 or Win Vista, then it is strongly advised not to install it to the default path of C:\Program Files\............
    It will most likely cause problems with RSRBR2012 if you want to use it.
    If you have Win XP, then it wont be a problem.

The best way to install it outside of Program Files is as you have described.
    "After I select "Browse" can I just clear the space and type that in,"

That way is safe, but make sure it is C:\Richard Burns Rally (you were leaving out the colon ( : ) and had forward slash ( / ) instead of backslash ( \ ) in the above post.
    After you install to that location, any installation or Update files from RSRBR2012 will find the correct location automatically.

Hope that is clear, if not just ask. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. You are a great help! W7, BTW.
    Do you know if that exact option path will come up when selecting browse? Thanks a bunch. I blame my pc noobness, lol, on being an old guy that never used a computer up until a couple years ago, and too much partying for a few decades has impaired the memory. Yea....decades. :confused:
    Thanks for all your help.

4. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

No I don't think so. It will probably come up with something like C:\Program Files x86\SCI Games\Richard Burns Rally. An easy way then is to just click after the C:\ bit, and delete each character until you end up with C:\Richard Burns Rally.
    That's how I usually do it.

Don't worry, I'll bet you are not as old as me. :D
    My wife is always asking me why I keep racing on-line with these fast kids, not sure why myself actually. :)

5. Thanks again, I feel much more comfortable about it all, even though it is so simple to others.