Install problems

Bob Luneski

Premium
The Pikes Peak thingy finally motivated me to try to install RBR ( I lived in Colorado Springs for ~5 years and attended the rally 3 times including seeing Bobby Unser(3 time Indy500 Champ, 13 time PP Hill climb champ) recapturing the record in 1986 - those guys are truly insane, but I digress). I read the installation thread thoroughly(VERY nicely done Warren). I have a Win7 system, i52500k, ATI6870 driving 3x24" monitors and the problems started right after I inserted the disk into the drive.

First the setup program wouldn;t run until I changed to the small system font. OK fine did that and then the setup program started and I clicked on "Install Game" then nothing. All the buttons except the exit and help button become disabled and the window is blank. Clicking on the help button reveals that the software license agreement should have displayed and and "agree" checkbox and next button. No license agreement is displayed and it just sits there, my only option to click on exit to terminate the setup program.

Any ideas???

Thanks

the problems started right after I inserted the disk into the drive.

First the setup program wouldn;t run until I changed to the small system font. OK fine did that and then the setup program started and I clicked on "Install Game" then nothing. All the buttons except the exit and help button become disabled and the window is blank. Clicking on the help button reveals that the software license agreement should have displayed and and "agree" checkbox and next button. No license agreement is displayed and it just sits there, my only option to click on exit to terminate the setup program.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Very weird Bob, haven't seen anything like that. I assume the DVD is in good condition? I don't have any experience with triple monitor setups, maybe that has something to do with it. Can you setup your PC with only one monitor and see what happens?

Are you using an original DVD version of the game or like me did you purchase the game from someone like SoldOut software?

If the latter then just bypass all their installer program open up the DVD in Explorer and run the setup.exe file.

This is what I had to do as the SoldOut software installer package is buggy. You just want to run the game setup.exe file and make sure on Win7 to install it to somewhere like Games\RBR do not put it in Program Files or Programs Files (x86) or the game wont run properly.

Cheers Al

Brand new DVD, bought it a year ago but havn;t installed it. I'll try disabling the 3 monitors. Since the installer couldn't handle anything but the small system font, it might be freaking out with a 5760x1080 resolution. Anyone know whether the game itself supports 5760x1080??

Are you using an original DVD version of the game or like me did you purchase the game from someone like SoldOut software?

If the latter then just bypass all their installer program open up the DVD in Explorer and run the setup.exe file.

This is what I had to do as the SoldOut software installer package is buggy. You just want to run the game setup.exe file and make sure on Win7 to install it to somewhere like Games\RBR do not put it in Program Files or Programs Files (x86) or the game wont run properly.

Cheers Al

Yep, it's a sold-out software DVD. Thanks a zillion I'll give it a shot.

Thanks everybody for all your help. We're making progress, but not quite there yet. Per Al's suggestion I was able to get the game installed, the patches, the 2011 mod and the updates. I was also able to manually edit the ini file and get 5760x1080. The aspect ratio is all stretched but that I think may be able to be sorted out in cam hack. The problem now is I have no mouse when I run the program either alone or from RSCenter. I have to cntrl-alt-del to get to task manager(immediately getting my mouse back) and kill the program because I can't make any selections after the program is launched..... argh..... ideas??

The problem now is I have no mouse when I run the program either alone or from RSCenter. I have to cntrl-alt-del to get to task manager(immediately getting my mouse back) and kill the program because I can't make any selections after the program is launched..... argh..... ideas??

Bob, I'm afraid that is normal, RBR is an older game (although a classic) and the mouse doesn't work when running RBR. You use the keyboard to move around the menus. The mouse should work in RSCenter, but it won't work in RBR after the game is launched.

Make sure to read this Tutorial too for using RSRBR and playing on-line.
http://www.racedepartment.com/richa...ow-play-on-line-how-set-up-rally-on-line.html

I'd recommend getting on-line with one of us for a practice run so we can walk you through the features of RSRBR, it seems complex at first, but is straight forward after to see it once.

EDIT: You may also be able to solve the stretching problem by changing the settings in FixUp.ini.

Great. Thanks to all that pitched in. I'll work on getting the view right and practicing my keyboard skills after I get home from work.
Cheers!!!

One other piece of advice Bob, I'd highly recommend running the default game and completing the Rally School. Richard Burns guides you through some basic driving techniques, and these are invaluable when running rallys. Many of us regularly go back to the Rally School for refresher courses. Even if you are an experienced SimRacer, the Rally driving techniques are extremely helpful in this Sim. :)

LOL, that's quite a switch there. Still, probably easier than going from rallying to open wheelers, like me six months ago:

nks2010111810555458.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 237 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years