Inexpensive transducers for simvibe

JeffL

Right on Brother, I hear ya, it's all good.
Some of the guys in the club were asking about some affordable transducers for Simvibe.

I have $50 sub and the 4 pack 16 0hm minis ($44) drive in 2 zones by 2 - $20 lepai amps and not even close to using all the power. Actually just the large shaker and one amp would be sufficient but....

The company that makes the transducers is Dayton Audio but the best price is from Parts Express

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/tactile-transducers-exciters-bass-shakers/18
Have fun.

asteroulis, do you use the Body shaker transducers? and what amp do you use? I think that people in the UK are buying them as I did, to save cash because the Dayton pucks are hard to get here.
The Body shakers seem to me to be a bit of a false economy with needing a more powerful amp to drive them. It would be interesting to know what others using these cheap Body shakers have as amps and if they had similar findings to me.

Yes, I have 4 of them as extension mode.I had purchased a used 8x150 watt amp but it malfunctions and is waiting to be serviced. I am also waiting for a sony 1200es amp which will probably cover me.

Even though I have lots of cheap equipment I still haven't managed to set my rig up. I have 4 4 body shakers, 3 Dayton pucks, 2 aura pros, 1 old diy shaker from a sub, and experimenting with b bigger diy ones right now, trying to achieve a bigger effect for the cost.

Still have a lot way to go and little time to spend.

Anyway, for the money the body shakers are great. I will also experiment with connecting more in line for a better placement of a single channel.

Or you can buy a used 7.1 Home Cinema amp with 100+ watt per channel that will support full rane speakers and use that. You'll have enough power for the small shakers and enough channels for expansion. I think that abroad they are quite cheaper than in Greece. Maybe with 100$ more or less you can have your job done.
My main point for that is that it has worked for many and - most important- it has many channels to expand your simvibe experience in the future.

Can simvibe output via digital out? (optical) Receivers mostly accept signal via HDMI or Optical, which is 7.1 channels compressed (dobly or DTS), not pcm as simvive requires I believe?

Don't be confused. All av receivers have analog inputs (aux) for every channel. That's what interests you.
If you only use chassis or extension mode then you can get your output of one sound card in digital form.
Simvibe can use whatever output you ask it to do. But chassis mode and extension mode must use different sound cards. If you get a mix of analog inputs your ok. No need for digital stuff there.

Hello guys

I have obutto with one buttkicker game 2 at the moment and want to extend that with another four bass shakers. Living in NZ is not easy to get some cost reasonable amplifier from overseas and with 220V

would you recommend this one for simvibe with 4x aurasound ast-2b-4

Rotel six channel power amplifier RB-976MKII

Can get one second hand in local shop

thanks for advise :)

Vic

Just got this bad boy for the cost of a night out, Denon avc a11sr, 7.1 @125watt @8ohm, 180watt @6ohm. The thing is a beast, I`m sure it could fill the Albert hall, it was full of fluff and a ton of what looked like moon dust, (probably a mix of dead skin and builders dust)
I was scared to power it up until I had stripped it down and cleaned it out, the amount of debris that came out of the thing was staggering and quite disgusting really but its done now.
I have not tested it yet, just checked that it powers up ok.
Now I`m literally gonna rock this house :D

I just made this vid. I warn you its terrible, but it helps give you an idea between the Dayton vs Aura Bass shaker.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:
I am in the USA.

I also assumed Dayton is a Parts Express company. Aura Is the clear winner in the end. When I posted that vid, I had the Daytons for just a few hours. Now that I have had them for a little while, its clear to me that the Aura is a better Transducer all around.

But for about half the price the Daytons are ok.

Daytons seem to fade off steeply at 35hz, while the Aura's go all the way down to 6hz before becoming ineffective. The Daytons can be compensated a bit with the EQ, So keep that in mind when tuning your eq on the separate sound cards for SimVibe.

Interesting comparison to the Dayton based version.
I believe "Dayton Audio" is Parts Express, the address is the same two buildings.

Appreciate you uploading the video and describing both....

I do have a curiosity on discovering the proper usable Hz range on various tactile units that is suitable for cockpit immersion. It is something I would like to highlight @RaceDepartment in the near future to help others. Although I found EQ can make things better yes but also worse if not properly applied.

Last edited:
Has anyone used these
http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/hdn-8-weatherproof-sound-exciter-transducer.html

Impedance 8 ohms
Frequency Response 40 - 15,000 Hz
Voice Coil Diameter 50 mm
DC Resistance (Re) 7.46 ohms
Voice Coil Inductance (Le) 0.86 mH @ 1 kHz
Resonant Frequency (Fs) 695 Hz

Or
These
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monacor-16-2790-Weatherproof-Exciter-Resonator/dp/B0057G64HU
Has the following info
Specifications:
Power rating:
AR-30 =15 WRMS/30 WMAX
AR-50 =25 WRMS/50 WMAX
Impedance 8 Ω
Frequency range dep. on mounting
Resonant frequency 600 Hz 500 Hz
Minimum mounting surface ∅ 80 mm
Admissible ambient temperature -10 °C to +60 °C
Dimensions, weight:
∅ 80 mm × 40 mm, 0.65 kg for the AR-30
∅ 90 mm × 55 mm, 0.95 kg for the AR-50

Last edited:
Hey guys, been following this thread carefully!

Im hoping someone can help me here - i used to have a big simxperience rig with simvibe all setup - and i actually enjoyed simvibe more than the motion.

ive now moved, and sold off my kit, and built a smaller more inexpensive rig based off the oculus CV1 - so far, this setup is SO much better than the old one.

but now i need to add some simvibe to it - and heres comes the issue; if you see the pictures of the rig:

http://imgur.com/a/mXWD5

then you can see its a playseat challenge - and i really want to keep this as honestly its the best sitting position ive ever had - its just perfect, small and inexpensive.

But when it comes to adding simvibe, its a challenge - basically i was thinking that it could be an option to add 4 pucks, one to each legs of the folding area, for wheel simulation. Then maybe add two of these on the hard part of the chair, ie the top back ( between the holes behind your head, on the seat ) for engine simulation - and then maybe add two for the pedals, and one for the gearshifter.

but ... on the other hand im also thinking maybe i would be much better off adding one bigger (buttkicker LFE or mini LFE? ) to the front and back of the horizontal "legs" - and keep it at that seeing as the whole rig is quite "thin", and im thinking maybe that would be enough.

Please notice, the top half of the seat is "firm" - the bottom half is like a folding chair - ie. no buttkickers can be attached to the actuall "ass" portion of the seat.

Hoping to get some fast advice, as i really want to move on with this project! Thanks!

Extensions mode is your best bet. The smaller pucks will work great for the shifter. The larger one for the pedals. The one for the seat could be mounted across the back if you want to keep the rig as it is.

The chassis mode is not going to work properly without changing the way you use your chair. If you make a platform to fasten the chair so it longer folds. It will then allow for vibration to travel to it. Then add the traducers to the four corners of of the platform you should be able to do the chassis mode. I have noticed mounting the traducers vertical vs horizontal makes a huge difference.

For my seat I went to a junk yard and pulled a Mini cooper seat out. They seem perfect for sim rigs. Pleather, fully adjustable without the power options. And only $30

Hey

Thanks for the reply.

Thing is, i want to keep my seat as is - i like it this way.

I do see your points though, the only thing im thinking is, if i mounted transducers on the arms - the cross - wouldnt the vibrations actually carry to each side - and act like tires? My whole body is in one way or the other leaning slightly on those metal pipes; so i suppose in this sense it would work if i had a transducer on each of them, to simulate tires?

So I was originally going to purchase some cheap Chinese amps and call it good, however I didn't want to risk not getting enough power to power two Aura's. I got a deal on a
Sony STR-DH750 7.2-Channel AV Receiver. It has tons of features from bluetooth to 4k pass through. I got it for US $160 used but new, while it cost $350 new. Good deal, decent deal?

So I was originally going to purchase some cheap Chinese amps and call it good, however I didn't want to risk not getting enough power to power two Aura's. I got a deal on a
Sony STR-DH750 7.2-Channel AV Receiver. It has tons of features from bluetooth to 4k pass through. I got it for US $160 used but new, while it cost $350 new. Good deal, decent deal?

It depends on when it dies. :)

I got the lepy amps, - im only using pucks, but its plenty power - its all about your frame though - my rig is built so it can be felt quite easily, if you have a super solid, super sturdy rig - then yeah you might need more. On the other side, i paid 44 EUR for 2x amps - if one breaks, ill get another.. .i can do that for a while until i reach a painful point. I like that =)

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back