IndyCar Series (Indianapolis Oval + Formula RaceRoom)

Is there really any such thing as 'too slow for the track'? It's not like there's any jumps you have to make. :p Besides, I'm sure the F3000s have the power to hit some good speeds here.

There's also the muscle cars if we feel the urge to race saloons around Indianapolis. Rear wheel drive, big V8 engine... Should do nicely.

The only problem I can forsee is accidents are exaggerated on tracks like this. This is a problem in real motorsports too. When the cars are at full speed, there's little that can be done if an obstacle appears ahead. And if you do hit someone else's wreckage, the impact speed is huge, making the crash pretty violent. Thankfully we don't have to worry about anyone being killed, but anyone caught out in such an accident won't exactly be thrilled either.

I'd be up for joining in if this were arranged though. :)

I just tried both the Formula 3000 and the Formula RR on this track. Managed 50.373 and 41.802 respectively with quickly thrown together setups. They both had minimum downforce, and judging by how it felt, I don't think this will be very popular.

Both the cars have way more grip than they use at this track. You can keep your foot flat on the throttle all the way around and it'll feel like it's drumming it's fingers, waiting for a real challenge. And you can't go round the corners any faster because they just don't have the top speed to do so. Even with adjusted gearing.

I'm still curious to see if this goes anywhere though. :)

I only just found some time to test on this track. Marcus, I didn't get to see your post first so lets see how we compare!
Nice version but no one told the developer that the area for miles around is totally flat!
I picked a variety of cars hoping to find one that would have enough of a top speed, a decent lap time and a want to slide out to the wall at the outside.
Default cars with wing set to one, no other changes except for gearing on a couple of cars. Exit the pit, staying on pit road all the way to the back straight, to one timed lap. For each car I also did a lap following the white line at the inside of the track, a grip test. Any car faster on the inside line would have too much grip.
In the order I tested:
F3000 race line 51.525 inside line -.223 287kph
Cat 320 race line 57.873 inside line could not hold 235kph
FBMW race line 1:01.964 inside line -.107 235kph
RR1 race line 43.525 inside line -.076 335kph
SR4 race line 54.895 inside line +.094 265kph
Race 07 BMW E90 race line 57.456 inside line +.374 265kph

The SR4 just didn't seem a challenge, too easy a drive.
None of the formula cars would make a good racer here, the RR1 having the best chance since it at least good eye hand co-ordination is needed with it :)
IMHO the Cat320 would make for the best drive and the best race. It pushes out of the corners which means entry speed has to be controlled and will trash itself on the outside wall if a bad pass is attempted.
I liked the lap in the beemer too but at least the Cat has the look of a way old indy car!

Right Seb! Times like those call for responsible racing :rolleyes:
The beemers will also push and cannot hold the inside line. They will slide out midtrack if you try to hold the inside and that means a race wit more attempts at passing but I think drivers would take the chance as damage is limited.

I guess it might be a toss up as to which would give a better race.

Have you tried any modded content? 997RSR & F430 GTC GT2 or PORSCHE 935 could work too. They both are legit mods, RD is very strict about mods legitimacy and personally i like that policy. It would be a serious blow to many simtitles future if the biggest site wouldn't keep it so... But real legit and high quality mods is always one option... So if there can't be found a good combo inside the game content, we can always expand the search ;)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%