Inappropriate Dutch article about Rihanna.

Well, I'm dutch, and while in general the dutch are way more lenient about what they consider offensive than, say, Americans, that's not the whole issue here..

What happened here is that some ignorant (probably old?) reporter with an obvious lack of international experience or 'feel', writing for a bloody fashion magazine, tried to write an article in a hip, young, street-language style without having a clue what they were actaully writing.. nor did the magazine's editor-in-chief, as she did not set this straight, and she meanwhile has resigned her job because of this article.

The article was never meant to be racist though.. it was just a VERY unfortunate choice of words.

In their defense, I must add that in dutch, the word "neger" which is the literal translation of the english word "******", is not considered an offensive word. Instead, the word "zwarte" literally meaning "black person" is considered way more degrading and very disrespectful.
(If any dutch member of African or coloured descent reads this and disagrees, please say so!)

And "bitch", well, there's a word that has become so common even in dutch nowadays (among our youth that is) that while it still does bear a negative meaning, it is hardly considered very offensive anymore.

While this article barely made the news here in the Netherlands for longer than 5 mins, I think foreign (english speaking) media are making way too much of this and blowing this way out of proportion.

So please Mohammed, please don't think all dutch are evil racist pigs, as really most of us are not. We of course do have our share of ignorant rednecks and hicks here (Oh boy, now I'm sorta discriminating as well!! :eek: ) but the average dutch or european person will not discriminate against people from Africa or other continents, (who actually do account for a substantial part of our population.)

It's just that some dutch folks think their English is great when actually it isn't.. (No I don't :D )

http://unicornbooty.com/blog/2011/12/20/dutch-magazine-publishes-story-on-rihannas-niggabitch-style/

Is the n-word really less offencive in non-English speaking nations? If Bram is here or any other Dutch person, was this a mistranslation.

I know for one that "n*****" came from the United States and the word is used in English-speaking nation to discriminate against Afro people. I wonder how the rest of Europe discriminates against people from Africa.

Found it abit hypocrite i must say. The N word is offense and shouldnt be used and isnt used here really. The magazines idea of the word wasnt racist intented also (never heard of the magazine before btw). But they used that word as Rihanna herself used that word ones in other article about fashion when someone asked here what here type of fashion was. That i find abit hypocrit. Same as all the rappers that say the N word (people that work with her also like Jay Z, Kanye West etc) so she doesnt have a problem with that suddenly because a black person says it then.
If the word is racist and brings back slavery etc nobody should use it black or white. But we hear it s much in rap songs nowadays and rap had become so mainstream its sneaks in word choice of many people. But its less a big deal here like Roland said.
The word isnt used alot also here btw. Only by the rappers.

Getting sick of that hypocrite media stuff from the US. In the 90s they aired the Jerry Springer Show here and out of the 50 minutes the show was on 49 minutes were ***beeped*** because of using the F word.

Instead of crying about the word "neger" (well said Roland) the media should worry about the words "Afghanistan, Iraq or now Iran".

Negros (is that word allowedd?) use the word ****** more than everybody, but when a white person says it it is all of a sudden offending or racism. LOL.

If they want to make an issue out of racism they really don't need to point to the dutchies. Check your own backyards first.

That is what I don't understand about the US really: always looking over the boarders to find something to bitch about while they should look at their own country first. Enough problems to solve there. Oh wait... that is exactly the reason :)

It really doesn't matter if you are white, yellow, red, blue or green, we are all <insert color or your favorite drink here> on the inside.
unicum-ku-klux-klan-small-26453.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back