In The Market For A New Graphics Card (choices)...

Hey community, I'll keep the opening short.

I'm buying a mid-range graphics card (for 1080p; budget =<£250) this coming Friday. What say you via the poll and a comment?

You have two choices.

The long story (I'll post my current specs at the end - to make you laugh):

After spending the last couple of weeks researching the 'now' graphics cards I've realised just how fierce the mid-range market is. Also, it's not straight forward as it is going for a top-end card (sadly, I'm not of the age where I'm going to bust £500-700 on a GPU anymore!)

So the poll lists the cards I was looking at, and to make it worse, AMD release the RX 5xx series. Which is merely the 4xx with overclock + extra power input. Both series cost around the same...

Urgh!

They all perform around the same - with variation depending on the game.

Current specs: (before you scoff, I do play Witcher 3 on this rig!)

i7 930;
Gigabyte x58 UD7;
HD5970 (yeah, this GPU has lasted me years *heart flutters in awe* - but it defo struggles nowadays);
6GB RAM;
(you can laugh at this) 500GB ext, 5700RPM HDD (it's a long story).

And over the next couple of months I'm upgrading the lot above.

Thanks!

• Deleted member 217114

I would wait for the 480 drop in price cause of the 580 and then buy the 480. :inlove:

Upvote 0
For single-monitor gaming at less than 4k, I'd choose the fastest AMD card you feel comfortable affording because then you can make use of Freesync monitors.

Upvote 0
1070 for me was worth waiting a bit longer to have and has the additional performance over what I too had considered with the RX480 and 1060. Some 1060 on launch were £300.

I bought at the time GOW4 was being offered free with the card.
Also 1070 still seems the performance/price sweetspot. For racing sims, Nvidia seems best and in general for most titles.

Stonking with 1080p, excellent with 1440p and doesn't seem to be that much behind the 1080 in VR.

Wait/Save/Spend an extra £100 or so you wont regret it.
Example currently with This Free

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Sometimes I'm thinking to just draw a card from a hat and go with that. *grins*

I do like the look of the 1070, too, but I'm saving cash for a full system upgrade over the next month or so. Gah.

Decisions, decisions!

Upvote 0
Find something to sell or trade in at CEX or on ebay.
It took me several months and selling consoles to get my current PC. I only had Intel HD530 graphics on the PC for 1st 3 months but still held out for the 1070 :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Sometimes I'm thinking to just draw a card from a hat and go with that. *grins*

I do like the look of the 1070, too, but I'm saving cash for a full system upgrade over the next month or so. Gah.

Decisions, decisions!

If you plan to build a new PC, just wait until then to buy a GPU.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back