in game/ main manu graphical settings?

an anyone who is expert enough suggest and/ or recommend graphical settings for AC?
would appreciate any help and recommendation I can get!!!
(and I did read simhq explanations and details, but does not help optizime when I have no clue about settings and hardware...)

Turn all settings to low and smash it - the framerate is what matters not how pretty the game looks (because you should focus all your attention on the braking/turn-in/apex).

I will, however, concede that I would love to re-render replays at ultra settings just so I can sit back and enjoy my mediocre driving in glorious 21st century-o-vision (not 5 year old laptop-o-vision).

I did start my AC life by pushing visuals to the max but the real joy is in the driving, not the eye candy.

hi, sorry had forgotten to post hardware specs, maybe experts here can instruct and give recommendations:

MOBO: Asus RVE
CPU: Intel i7-5930K
RAM: 32GB Corsair Dom.Platinum DDR4 3000
GPU: 2-WAY SLI Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X
SOUND: Asus RVE & Asus Xonar DGX
DRIVES: Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD, 850 EVO 256GB SSD and Seagate Hybrid 4TB SSHD
PSU: Corsair AX1200i 1200W
CASE: Corsair Graphite 730T
DISPLAY: Samsung 40" UN40H6350AFXZA
GEAR:
Fanatec CSW Base V2
Fanatec CSW BMW GT2 Wheel
Fanatec CSP V2
DSD 2015 Pro SQ Shifter
Fanatec CS Handbrake

With your PC, you should be fine to crank every setting to its maximum levels ;)

SimHQ Motorsports have a pretty solid article titled 'Hints and Tips - Part 2' which details all of the various image settings. Based off their article (and FWIW, the fellow who authored the article made the Barbagallo track for AC), the biggest frame rate killers are:

Anisotropic Filtering - recommended to set a 8x as AF is very resource heavy in AC
Smoke Generation - a massive impact on CPU and GPU load when many cars on screen (e.g. race start). Low is said to be the most realistic looking.
Show Smoke in Mirrors - obvious that showing smoke in mirrors has a massive performance impact
Mirror Resolution - the higher the quality setting, the greater the GPU/CPU resources are impacted
High Quality Mirror Reflection - enables post processing and other effects in the rear view mirror
Reflection Quality - has a big impact on frame rate when racing against AI or online.
Reflection Rendering Frequency - the more the reflections are updated per second, the greater the impact on frame rates

Again, given your PC specs, I doubt any of these settings at their maximum levels would hinder performance.

Sim Hq guide relate to the first release version of AC. A lot has changed since that, AF is now much more optimised, same for smoke and reflections.

I have a single GTX 970 paired with a i7 4790k. I could run every setting maxed out if I want, but to avoid fps drops I use shadows on high, reflections on medium with high refresh rate and a custom PP filter (blackcelica mod, awesome natural visuals!).

For your hardware, I would suggest everything maxed out, except for smoke, reflection rendering frequency and PP filters. As these settings can cause some random stutters in a full grid. Also, Ultra settings for smoke and PP filters don't look realistic.

Use these values on your PP filters, but first download and install Blackcelica PP Filter.

Filter: PP-Photo-CTP

Overall effect quality: LOW
It doesn't determine how good looking it will be, just the amount of effects added. We will add it manually via the custom PP filter and other settings.

Glare Quality: Medium
Anything higher looks like you have woke up one minute ago.

Depth of field quality: OFF
Let your eyes do the job of focusing. It will only introduce blurring.

Color Saturation: 97%
Just to make sure it doesn't look washed out

Motion Blur: OFF
Same as depth of field.

Crepuscular rays: ON
Nice sun shining effect

Heat shimmering rays: OFF
Looks more like drunk people sights on cartoons

Fast Approximate AA: OFF
Will only introduce blurriness as we are already using 4XMSAA

Smoke: LOW

Reflections: High

Reflection rendering frequency: HIGH

Max out the rest.

Hope you like these settings:thumbsup:

thank you guys! what do i set these on:
Anisotropic Filtering=
Anti-Aliasing Samples=
World Detail=
Shadow Resolution=

and this should be?
Mirror Resolution=High?
High Quality Mirror Reflection=check?
Reflection Quality=High?
Reflection Rendering Frequency=High?

Last edited:
Sim Hq guide relate to the first release version of AC. A lot has changed since that, AF is now much more optimised, same for smoke and reflections.

I have a single GTX 970 paired with a i7 4790k. I could run every setting maxed out if I want, but to avoid fps drops I use shadows on high, reflections on medium with high refresh rate and a custom PP filter (blackcelica mod, awesome natural visuals!).

For your hardware, I would suggest everything maxed out, except for smoke, reflection rendering frequency and PP filters. As these settings can cause some random stutters in a full grid. Also, Ultra settings for smoke and PP filters don't look realistic.

Use these values on your PP filters, but first download and install Blackcelica PP Filter.

Filter: PP-Photo-CTP

Overall effect quality: LOW
It doesn't determine how good looking it will be, just the amount of effects added. We will add it manually via the custom PP filter and other settings.

Glare Quality: Medium
Anything higher looks like you have woke up one minute ago.

Depth of field quality: OFF
Let your eyes do the job of focusing. It will only introduce blurring.

Color Saturation: 97%
Just to make sure it doesn't look washed out

Motion Blur: OFF
Same as depth of field.

Crepuscular rays: ON
Nice sun shining effect

Heat shimmering rays: OFF
Looks more like drunk people sights on cartoons

Fast Approximate AA: OFF
Will only introduce blurriness as we are already using 4XMSAA

Smoke: LOW

Reflections: High

Reflection rendering frequency: HIGH

Max out the rest.

Hope you like these settings:thumbsup:
Thanks for the push to my ppfilter, glad it's being used. It is naturally lighter on fps hit than some others so it's a good choice.

hi, sorry had forgotten to post hardware specs, maybe experts here can instruct and give recommendations:

DRIVES: Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD, 850 EVO 256GB SSD and Seagate Hybrid 4TB SSHD
GEAR:
Fanatec CSW Base V2
Fanatec CSP V2
DSD 2015 Pro SQ Shifter
Fanatec CS Handbrake

That's a serious peice of kit man, must have set you back to the tune of a nice used '97 BMW M3 :D

That's a serious peice of kit man, must have set you back to the tune of a nice used '97 BMW M3 :D
haha :)it was not cheap, that's for sure, but after total of 16 years in service and 10 years overseas/ deployed, was my own parting gift to myself with what i got $$$ and rest went to my sons account for when he grows up! :thumbsup: (my old sim racing days...MicroProse and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formu...e)...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroProse) i don't even remember what wheel I was using...but had one, and I know i sold my G25 on ebay and G27 is with my nephew in Germany, G29 just packed up to go to my cousin in CA (USA). all is great, happy to see "Sim" Racing genre coming back to strong!
have some other GFX questions, will post them here soon. family time first.:thumbsup:

so after following help from "moxley", "machado", "travis" and "blackcelica"'s info and ppfilter, appreciate all the help I got in this forum! really nice of the guys to PM details,explanation and full on support!! absolutely grateful for your help guys! and step by step guidance! wow! thanks!
here is what I have: (sorry for the quality, took pictures with iPhone5 :-/ ....)
DISPLAY: Samsung 40" UN40H6350AFXZA - 1080p@60Hz
AC_GFX (1).jpg AC_GFX (2).jpg AC_GFX (3).jpg
let me know if you guys see anything i need to change or correct.
my test was on MONZA with C7R myself (8K livery), and grid of 25x picked other mix of vehicles. (mix of normal, 2k, 4k and 8k liveries) starts at grid with 140fps, and then in the mid of the field and racing 12laps, was going between 100fps and 180fps.
in practice mode alone with C7R (8K livery):
on MONZA goes 200fps to 280/290fps and sometimes above 300fps.

not sure what it all means but posted it so the professionals can guide me and tell me what it needs to be and how it needs to be (maybe another track to test on? another vehicle? with other vehicles full grid?), something to test the system and settings?

@rocafella1978

as you had 100 fps, turn these settings up:

SHADOW RESOLUTION = ULTRA
SMOKE IN MIRRORS = ENABLE
REFLECTION QUALITY = MEDIUM (you can try putting on high and test it)
REFLECTION RENDERING FREQUENCY = HIGH

It will look very good and should be able to maintain 80fps on any situation.
And monza is one of the most demanding tracks on full grids.

GEAR:
Fanatec CSW Base V2
Fanatec CSP V2
DSD 2015 Pro SQ Shifter
Fanatec CS Handbrake
You could get to mars on those specs

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?