1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving F1

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by stadlereric, Mar 20, 2017.

1. stadlereric

stadlereric
    Premium

Ratings:
    +47
    if you could change one aspect of Formula 1 to make it more exciting, or interesting what would that one thing be? Go back to V12's? No DRS/ERS systems? Manual gear boxes?

I'd really enjoy watching a driver's race. By that I mean take the current line up of teams and drivers and let them run one race with the exact same car. Maybe a Ford RS1600? Run 20 laps at a shorter historical track and see who comes out on top. That would be fun to watch!

2. yusupov

yusupov

Ratings:
    +146
    thats a cool idea ive not heard proposed before, but ofc its also a gimmick. wont draw in new fans, just be a curiosity for current ones.

tbh until i see evidence otherwise im going to trust that liberty has a handle on the general direction the sport should go. make them faster: great. give the drivers tires that can be driven hard: great.

i think ERS is here to stay, but i don't understand the limit; if its fiscally feasible surely it should be at least doubled. i don't like continued the emphasis on management there. similarly, i'm all for bringing back refueling IF it'll make for better racing. if tire strategy & management is heavily de-emphasized this season, it could be way to re-introduce the strategic element, which, while almost universally disliked, also kept a lot of people tuned in. the bonus is that instead of slowing cars down, itll make them faster. (ive never watched refuel-era F1, so any comments about the effect this has on races would be appreciated)

but primarily & ultimately the goal should be to limit the effects of dirty air w/ an aim to eliminating DRS, at least as its currently implemented, & i think liberty feels the same...that means 2017 could be the fastest cars we see for a few years, but given how insanely quick they already are -- multiple seconds/lap faster than anything ever seen -- that shouldn't really be much of a problem.