F1 2012 Improvement Tips

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
On which areas should F1 2012 improve compared to the F1 2011 game of last year?

• Muuuch smarter AI and better simulation of their spins and crashes.
  • Replay camera from every AI driver
  • All sorts of data that I can browse from a menu of all past races in lap by lap format showing me things like crashes, lap times and positions of drivers at each lap

- no faked AI times anymore
- better strategy system meaning that your team supports you in finding the best strategy before the race and during the race
- more information from the race eningeer, e.g. gap to the car in front - maybe on pit boards?

- however, the main feature should be a bug free game!!!

There could be a more detailed interaction with other drivers in the career. If you contact with one, his anger towards you increases, and after every race your relationship with all others whom you do not collide gets a little better. Also, you can effect your relationship by sending-mails and interview responds.

When a driver's grudge against you gets very high, he becomes more aggressive towards you in the race, or he may even has some extra speed to create a nice virtual rivalry :)
This should perhaps be an option that you can choose to turn on, maybe the highest level.

Steering assist. I use the D-pad on my PS3 controller as I have no steering wheel (and before you say just buy a steering wheel, I'm unemployed, just 2.3 million others in the UK, and a steering wheel is not high on the list of what to spend my JSA on,) and when using D-pad the steering is either 100% left, 100% right or center. Most circuits I lose some time as I cant get the best line round bends that dont need full lock, such as turn 3 at Cataluna but SUZUKA is a nightmare, Im loosing nearly 3 seconds a lap because the first sector is so hard and the double left hander before the back straight is also costing me heavily. Also, I cant use cockpit cam as it looks horrible seeing the driver using full lock at every turn and bend.
D-pad and keyboard users will all have the same problem

If we are not going to get full telemetry then I at least hope we can get tyre temperature readings across the tyres so we can actually see how the tyres are wearing rather than guessing which is the case at the moment. Would also love to see the tyres wearing graphically rather than relying on the car staus indicator.

Some way of driving the online equal cars offline (or being able to setup a custom online session with just yourself and the AI if you want other cars on track). I only really get to drive online a couple of times a week and it's very frustrating at times to get into a race online having tested offline only to find the car handling so differently.

Ddecent replays. F1 2010 and 2011 have possibly the worst replay system in any racing game for as long as I can remember. I sincerely hope that we are not only going to get different camera angles which is all that has been mentioned so far.

-Highlights after a race. To see where the hell I got that penalty
-Better AI in career mode. More cars crashing out. The bottom 10 cars are always the same drivers!
-More safety cars. It's there so why isn't it being used?
-Rain. Hmmm. It's pretty difficult to drive in the rain with traction off. Might just be me though.
-Driver interaction - Friend and foe system which makes the AI act differently according to who likes you.
-More realistic expectations of the team. I am Lotus. My car is rubbish. But I finish 10th in one race and suddenly the team expect me to finish 8th from now on. Come on it's a Lotus.

Race Director after the race in offline mode.. so annoying that this very useful feature is not available and you have to remember to pause the game before crossing the finishing line ot gather any information you might want. It's available after online races so why not offline!!

Blatant errors need to be eradicated. 2nd season driving for Red Bull. I've just raced Istanbul (more of that in a mo,) now about to start Spanish GP weekend and an email from my engineer laying out the teams expectations says 1st place in qualifying and no lower than 1st place in the race.

"Lets see if you can match or, even better, exceed these objectives."

OK yeah, lets see if I can do better than pole and winning the race, shouldnt be too much of a challenge!!!!

Back to Istanbul. Before the race, that started on Inters (really?? rain @ Istanbul??) I checked the forecast, rain 45% so out of a 55 lap race I reckon, come in for slicks around lap 25. On lap 18 my engineer is on the radio saying pits are clear, come in for tyres, at which point its still raining, not a chance, I've only got another 7 laps before I go to options.
Lap 19 and 20, every other car has been in for fresh inters and although Im lapping around 1.5 seconds off my fastest lap, Im staying out till 25.
On lap 24 several cars are now on options and by the time I get back to the pits for my options, new lap records are being posted so in I come for my first pit stop.
Options on, it takes me a couple of laps before I'm up to speed and everything is fine. I think to myself, first stop on 25 out of a 55 lap race, only need to make options last 15 laps and go for more options till the end so lap 40 I come in for more options at which point I have a 40 second lead over Vettel, who has already had 2 stops as he went for fresh inters.
On my in lap, I selected prime tyres, then re-selected option tyres, just to make sure there was no confusion that I wanted options. When I came into the pits they had a lovely set of brand new INTERMEDIATE tyres that they fitted.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT??

I had to do 1 lap on inters before stopping again for options, by which point my 40 second lead was all but gone, then, when I rejoined the track, just as I was getting myself onto the racing line, D'Ambrosio, who I had lapped rammed into me as he was on the racing line, and I got a drive through penalty, at which point, the race was lost as Vettel was through and lapping quicker than me, even though I'm on options and he's now on the prime tyre.

Thanks of the inters guys.

Dont know if anyone else has had this either, in qualifying, if you select to go out straight to your flying lap, there is always a car released from the pit lane right in your path, which is bad enough but I accept that can happen in real life too but, the number of times, that car is my team mate, I don't that would ever happen in real life.

Another quick thought and this is less of a moan more of a nice feature I'd like to see added. Multiple saved games, so I could have my own saved career and so can my housemate. I know I can save it to an external device but I can save several Master Leagues in PES and I'm sure there are other games that can do something like.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 181 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 356 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 498 39.1%