DiRT 4 Impossible to mod DiRT 4?

@hossy 0saka requested a 3D templates.

but btw i don't have DiRT 4 so i don't guarantee any desirable output.
i'm open to make them as long as you guys provide me the xxx_HighLOD.pssg for the car. it's a high detail of the car model that can be exported by the current 3DsimED version.

he gave me 2 cars. Mitsubishi R5 and Impreza STi. (but honestly, you don't need to give the NEFS file which contains some unnecessary files. just HighLOD and example of xxx_tex_high00.pssg is enough).

*xxx is car name. for example nr4 for Impreza

i'm currently separating all the objects into different meshes so the model can read different textures.
ed.jpg

and manage to make it work with PS.
fse.jpg

sfeg.jpg

Untitled.jpg

if you want to make your own 3D template, i'll give you some steps :

REQUIREMENT : 3DSmax, 3DsimED, and PS of course (with extended version if it's CS6 or CS5)

1. open the desired NEFS of the car you want to make the template with NEFS Edit Tool.
2. find the highLOD file. (usually named xxx_highLOD.pssg) then extract it. extract also the xxx_tex_high00.pssg if needed for texture wise.
3. open the 3DsimED. go to File->Import, select the "F1-2010/2011/GRID/DIRT(2) PSSG (*.pssg) inside the combobox and choose the exported HighLOD file. hit Open.
ed.jpg

4. after opened, export the opened HighLOD.pssg via Export -> Plugin. choose the format that 3Dsmax can read it, either FBX, 3DS or DAE etc. in this stage i pick FBX as it retains the object and material names and textures if any. put the exported model to any folder do you want.
adw.jpg

5. now go to 3Dsmax. import the model. if it's FBX use import option as shown on the pic below.
e.jpg

wdad.jpg

6. Voila! but first, before converting it to OBJ/3DS (so PS can read it), remove the "x1_main_body" and "sunnode" objects to give you a perfect model.
adw.jpg

7. after you remove the objects mentioned above, now attach the objects required as one mesh. but not all. if you attach all then you have only one material to put. in this case, merge these objects that i have been listed below :
Car Body :
  • x0_door_fl & x0_door_fr
  • x0_wing_fl, xo_wing_fr, x0_wing_mirror_r & x0_wing_mirror_l
  • x0_bonnet
  • x0_bumper (fr to bl)
  • x0_main_body
  • x0_boot
  • x0_spoiler_b
Windows :
  • everything named with x0_window in front
Wheels & Tyres (wasn't sure about these one. if they're like DiRT Rally when rims and tyres treated as one texture please tell me) :
  • everything named with x0_tyre; and
  • everything named with x0_wheel
if you don't know how to merged few objects to one mesh, select one object, go to modify tab, then you see Attach List in the Edit Geometry menu. go there and and you will see the list of objects. be careful not to attach the wrong object or you will mess everything and need to undo it again) see these pics below if you don't know what i mean.
adw_zpsusb0kd6y.jpg

sfeg_zpshzl4ymfv.jpg

use TurboSmooth Modifier if required if you want to make it smooth.

8. to obtain the wireframe, go to Modifier List box, select Unwarp UVW. now you will see the wireframe. go to Tools -> Render UVW Template. now you see a Render UV window. at width and height put 4096x4096 to make it as large as to the diffuse/skin texture, tick Invisible Edge and put all white in the Color selector. hit Render UV. you will see a new window of rendered wireframe and save it via Save Image button (disk icon) and save it to the desired folder.
wdad_zpsmzfcib3r.jpg

ed_zpshhugtcla.jpg

fse_zps7s3tljsn.jpg

9. now, after all the required objects have been merged and wireframes are obtained. go to Material tab. assign each material to each of merged objects one by one. put Ambient and Diffuse as white color. rename the material like "Car Body" for body, "Windows" for window glass etc. drag the Car Body material to car body object, Windows material to window glass object etc.
Untitled_zps16u7jcxw.jpg

10. everything's ready? now, go to 3dsmax button. select Export -> Export to non-native.. and export it to the folder you want. choose OBJ and hit save. then you will see new OBJ Export Options windows. hit Export. if you see any error messages just skip them.
hdtr_zpsmzorsuk3.jpg

sfesfesf_zpsdylbuzda.jpg

sfesfscd_zpskujn35c8.jpg

11. now open PS. drag the obj file see the result. it should be like this.
hawawa_zpsf6cygdqs.jpg

put a texture to an object. for example the body. highlight the "car_body" on the objMesh list below, you will see Material box properties above. to change the texture, press the button beside of Diffuse and select your skin or the extracted default skin to the car_body object in the 3D tabs. now double-click the texture name in the layer tab, you will be switched to a new project tab. put the already rendered wireframe and AO into a new layers. switch to 3D project to make sure it works correctly.

if there's something bugged you, please tell.

some car probably have different object names but basically the process is still same.

some tip : you don't need to bake a new AO. it's available on the xxx_main_o.tga.dds file.

Attachments

• wdad.jpg
    wdad.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:
This is great!!!!!
Would love if you could do this for the Audi Quattro. Would support you with the needed files but I'm on vacation atm. Will pm you when I've uploaded the files...
Thnaks man, you make my holiday even more relaxing...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 153 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 289 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.8%