• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

** Important Changes to RD Club Racing **

Discussion in 'R3E Racing Club & Leagues' started by Ross Garland, Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ross Garland

Ross Garland
    R3E & AMS Club Manager Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,377
    Hi guys! This is just an FYI type post to keep you informed of the latest changes to RaceDepartment's club racing. The changes here are being brought in across all of RD, not just the R3E club, and are designed to bring more consistency and unity to our clubs. Please take a minute to read through so that you know what's going on. :)

1. Club Rules
    As you've probably seen me mention already over the last few weeks, all of RD's club rules are now being properly enforced. That means all eleven of them, not just the Golden Rule. While the penalty for breaching the Golden Rule remains an instant 30 day ban, the penalties for breaching other rules are different and can be found listed in the Racing Club Regulations 2017. Note that the rules themselves have not changed, but please refresh yourselves with them anyway to prevent unnecessary penalties.

2. Event Format
    Regular club events will now not exceed 90 minutes. This is to ensure that those with busy evenings and families can still race with us without requiring that they dedicate their entire evening to do so. The 90 minutes covers an official practice session, qualifying, and the race(s) itself. Practice servers will still be up and running early for those who want to get online sooner.

For the R3E club, this essentially means no change at all. All of the race formats we currently use slot nicely into the 90 minute time frame and therefore will still be run as normal.

3. Special Events
    Clubs can hold occasional special events that fall outside of the usual club event guidelines, which includes exceeding the 90 minute time limit. The first special event in the R3E club was held a couple of weeks ago, and you can expect more of them in the very near future!

4. TeamSpeak is now mandatory
    As you may have noticed, from this week TeamSpeak has become mandatory. The simple reason for this is that is it the only reliable means for staff to pass on information and instruction during club events. To race in an event you must be connected to the TS server, even if you don't have a microphone. Nobody is forcing people to speak, but you must be able to hear what is going on during all race sessions.

That's it for now guys. Have fun, and see you on track soon! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. DowntownSIX

DowntownSIX
    Premium

Ratings:
    +156
    I'm not all that familiar with TS but is it possible to have a staff channel where everybody but race coordinators are on mute?

Completely onboard with being reachable by organisers but I don't join TS currently because I find the chat to be a distraction.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Ross Garland

Ross Garland

Ratings:
    +2,377
    That wouldn't be particularly helpful for us since if we need a response or acknowledgement then people wouldn't be able to give one. If we end up with too much distracting noise during races then we will look into making push-to-talk mandatory for the race sessions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN
    DirtT Tuned Motorsports Premium

Ratings:
    +1,264
    So we're not allowed to mute everyone during the race?
    And how does someone acknowledge/communicate mid race without a mic and minimalizing their screen to bring up the TS app to text chat in?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Christian Moreau

Christian Moreau
    The real Canadian Prime Minister Premium

Ratings:
    +1,581
    I don't mind TS being mandatory, but as a personal preference, I usually like to mute the chat during the race unless I have to communicate something by using a button I have bound.

Some people have truly horrendous voice activation setups and I quickly grew tired of hearing them during races. I can understand communication prior to the race if there are any special instructions to be handed out, but during the race, why not let people race in a way they are comfortable?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Love Love x 1
  6. Ross Garland

Ross Garland

Ratings:
    +2,377
    Because it has often proved very helpful to be able to contact people during the race session too.

Me and Kenny are usually very good at jumping on people who's mic sensitivity is too high so it shouldn't be an issue. But like I said, if things get too noisy then we will look into making everybody use push-to-talk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN

Ratings:
    +1,264
    It seems to me you guys should just rewrite the mandatory ts rule and add...must have headset and working mic to communicate at all times during events. Period
    So can i race going forward? or should i request my premium membership be refunded and find a new home to race as i am not running out to by a new headset.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ross Garland

Ross Garland

Ratings:
    +2,377
    Why is such a big deal being made of this? :rolleyes: I have already explained that no mic is needed, but that you need to be on TS so that you can hear if staff need to give info or instruction. It's that simple. So there is no need to run out and buy a new headset. If you're unhappy about it and want a refund then that's fine, but it's making a big deal out of nothing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN

Ratings:
    +1,264

10. Ross Garland

Ross Garland

Ratings:
    +2,377
    The vast majority of people that game online have headsets with a mic. For the tiny minority that don't, that's fine. I said that above. I also said above and numerous times over the last week since TS became mandatory that we are not going to force people to speak. We do however expect everybody to be on TS and able to hear staff. I'm assuming we all have some means of getting audio output when we drive via headphones or speakers?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. RasmusP

RasmusP
    AC Stuff and G27 help Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +780
    We can only see if you are on TeamSpeak. If you are it seems fine ;)
    Why even bother that much? How much important info did you hear from us over the months?
    Maybe spend your time on figuring out your personal solution instead of forcing us into a discussion that only ends with us Staffs having to put you down and be seen like mean police officers.:(
    We are just drivers man and want to have fun. The rules are there so that we all can have even more fun.:inlove:

If you are not fine with our work, give us some constructive feedback. We do listen to you! We will consider it, discuss your arguments you brought to us and then decide.
    Heating these things up won't help anyone. Or do you wanna start a revolution? Then sign up for a Staff position and take part in the internal discussions :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN

Ratings:
    +1,264
    Exactly!
    So why is it now mandatory? Ive been racing here for 5yrs with no issue not using teamspeak but now its mandatory?
    Ive given alot of valid reasons to date....from disabilities, language barriers, no mics and finding it personally distracting.
    Just to recieve comments like...."because I said so :devilish:"
    And those that dont connect to ts will be removed from the server.
    I understand the purpose in using it and how it will make life easier for the devs....but on the other hand its not easy for others for reasons mentioned.
    Prior to the rewritting of the regulations, one of the rules spoke about it being the users responsibilty to check the forum for important race imformation....which I have for yrs with no issue.
    Ive been told ts is mandatory for communication and acknowleding info given to you. Ive asked how does one communicate with no mic? Use ts text chat....cool! How do i text chat mid race without closing my screen to bring up the ts app? I dont want some overlay on my screen as thats just as distracting as the banned ingame chat.
    I am not trying to start a revolution....just being the voice for the few effected by this decision and hoping we can find a happy medium so I/we can continue racing here.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Vitor M Sousa

Vitor M Sousa
    Premium

Ratings:
    +293
    TS mandatory pushed me off in las couple of weeks. That and F1 2017.

But regarding this, in one of the last races I did there was a lot of chatter during the race. And a user that had his volume so high that seemed like someone was shouting in my ears.
    When in the end of the race I said that chatter should be kept to a minimum possible, I was told by staff and non staff members alike in a bad tone that I should just map a key to mute sound. So why bother having TS running? And why the solution should be this and not the control o chat? There was talks for a couple of minutes twice in that race, and drivers a using another that wasn't on team speak. While that happened I started doing errors and eventually spun. Hard to drive with people talking loud...

Don't see the point in it being mandatory and then just saying people to mute it...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Sad Sad x 1
  14. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson
    Retro PC Sim Racer Premium

Ratings:
    +3,047
    I don't see a problem here. I am confused that anyone would be questioning the rule. TS is now mandatory. Good. You can hear it through speakers or headphones. If you want you can mute all racers except the race organisers/staff and the job is done. No problem at all. What is the problem? You need it it to hear instructions from staff.
    I really don't understand why anyone would be against TS being mandatory? If it were up to me, push to talk would also be mandatory. I always muted those racers who used voice activation anyway because I was fed up of hearing them grunt, change gear, fart, burb, shout and swear.
    I am as confused at this as I am with people being against strict cut track rules but some are for strange reasons.
    Rules are need for proper organised racing. I used to race in a Nascar league years ago and TS was mandatory then.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ross Garland

Ross Garland

Ratings:
    +2,377
    Ok, I think that's enough now. TeamSpeak is mandatory, and that's all there is to it. I have patiently explained all the reasons why and tried to help with solutions to people's problems, but apparently that still isn't good enough?

It feels like every single change we try to make is resisted by certain people that want everything to remain exactly the same, flaws included. Half the time the complaints come in before people have even bothered to give things a chance to work, which is really quite sad.

Believe it or not, none of what we do is done on a whim. There's a lot more going on behind the scenes than some of you guys seem to appreciate, and everything we do is done with the aim of improving the experience people have here at RaceDepartment. We can't please everybody all of the time, but that's life. At the end of the day it is up to people to find ways to make RD's rules work for them. It is not up to RD to tweak, change or abandon it's rules to suit each and every individual person's personal preferences. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the way it is.

And now you can complain because I'm locking this thread.

• Haha Haha x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.