I'm shocked about AI

I have a question.

Current AC AI implementation works using the car physics to drive the car. How different it is from other titles, like rFactor or pCars? I remember on rFactor there is some kind of track path defined, that is followed by the AI, but I am not 100% if the AI cars are enforced to use the physics engine limiting it capability by the car performance. I have always though that AC AI is revolutionary and unique on that aspect, which it may be harder to get it right, but I am glad they followed that approach. I am confident it will keep improving as time goes by.
AFAIK in rFactor AI uses simplified physics, same in R3E. There would be some fish tailing by AI, inconsistent in some corners etc. However it works pretty good and creates believable behaviour of AI. I found Assetto Corsa can be fun when you go 1on1 vs AI, but when they in bigger pack they just utterly stupid sometimes to the level it brakes any immersion.

Not saying you can't give your opinion, but for someone who hates Assetto Corsa as much as you do, why spend so much time trawling the AC section of every website you visit?

Wouldn't your time be better spent simply enjoying your favourite game rather than needlessly trying to smack down any competitor to rFactor 2?

I have found if you treat AI like humans: expect the unexpected, make allowances when racing side-by-side, don't dive bomb, respect them and don' do anything irrational that you would not do with humans - most of the time they are pretty good.
Another cool thing is that AI don't get all abusive in the chat - they very quiet and polite actually ;)
For me the GSCE AI is the benchmark especially when racing them at 100%
In my experience AC AI has been surprisingly good at times, but also a joke on other occasions - I still don't get why they sometimes simply stop in the middle of the track and others line up behind...

I wouldn't waste time with AI at this point, it will be just better to put some script on them to make them just drive following an ideal line! AIs are already consuming huge processing resources and are limiting some other features improvement!
People who are still waiting for some AIs with human-like behaviour are just gonna wait for too long! I have never seen any good AIs in any game/sim ... the computing cost to get something close to realistic is just huge!

my 2 cents!

Last edited:
I wouldn't waste time with AI at this point, it will be just better to put some script on them to make them just drive following an ideal line! AIs are already consuming huge processing resources and are limiting some other features improvement!
People who are still waiting for some AIs with human-like behaviour are just gonna wait for too long! I have never seen any good AIs in any game/sim ... the computing cost to get something close to realistic is just huge!

my 2 cents!

If the AI in AC were more like GSCE or R3E and less like Gran Turismo I think most players would be quite satisfied. I've had plenty of races against AI in both those sims that were as good as some races I've had against real people. But of course both of those developers have a high focus on producing a genuine racing experience, where Kunos has made it clear that the driving experience was their highest priority and the racing aspects were secondary.

If the AI in AC were more like GSCE or R3E and less like Gran Turismo I think most players would be quite satisfied. I've had plenty of races against AI in both those sims that were as good as some races I've had against real people. But of course both of those developers have a high focus on producing a genuine racing experience, where Kunos has made it clear that the driving experience was their highest priority and the racing aspects were secondary.
Anyway ... with only one coder, kunos is not going to improve massively!

Anyway ... with only one coder, kunos is not going to improve massively!

Yes, it is what it is, and whether that's good or bad is up to the individual. I do hope though that the move to consoles will nudge them to make some of the needed improvements that we want and that console players will expect.

The number of coders is not indicative of the quality of the code.

Exactly. Reiza doesn't have a large team, nor does Sector 3, and both of them produce very good AI. Not perfect, of course, but very good IMHO.

Stefano does most of the job apparently ... he does physics stuff, ai and even more things!

You can have a general knowledge of things, but you can't be as good as a specialized person! I have seen competitions concerning AI algorithms, especially when it comes to pathfinding and bypassing obstacles, and it's not some general coding stuff.

I certainly never meant to imply that making good AI was easy, just pointed out that two other small teams have managed to create (in my opinion) enjoyable AI and that hopefully AC's AI will eventually come close to what Reiza and S3S have managed to create.

Reiza are using some modified version of the rf1 engine right ? probably the core was already good enough ...
Kunos needs some specialized person who has already worked on AI.

Probably, but they've tinkered with it enough to make it their own flavor. It's certainly easier to start with a proven base AI, no argument there. I'm not trying to bash AC or Kunos, they've done a lot with a little. But since they claim virtually nobody uses their online mode it would benefit them to make sure their AI is at least acceptable, and the last update made some good progress toward that goal (from what I've heard).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%