if you could rank the physics......

Msportdan

@Simberia
in rre among the top sim games at this point where would you put it.
heres mine:-
1.GScE
2.RF2
3.Iracing
4.AC
5.RRexperience
6.Pcars (havent played so cant judge)

Just to note, i think gsce and rf2 are very close but, as i think the ffb in Gsc is better i prefer the feeling and handling.
Please rank your thoughts

lot of mentioned sims have road cars and since most of us probably have thousands and thousands miles behind steering wheel of different cars there is something you can build your opinion on in regards of realism of physics ..

I don't disagree with that, but it is a whole new ball game with some of the power and suspensions available only to race cars. Take the WTCC civic, that is nothing like a supped up civic on the road. I have driven tonnes, but I don't have experience going around s corners at 120 mph or extreme braking for sharp corners. The laws of physics, although the same for us, are far more apparent to guys who race.

I will take the point of ski racing. I went from being a good recreational skier, to a VERY good skier over the period of 5 years. When you get into truly fast speeds and turns, everything happens and reacts so differently. So differently than say 99% of recreational skiers would ever feel. I feel the same applies to here. Recreational driving, versus racing. People are just projecting what they think feels right to them - which there is nothing wrong with.

I just don't understand how people can say the physics are bad, and they have never raced, only been in nice street cars - Obviously some who haven't raced have very good points as well, but most talking about physics just say it sucks, it doesn't feel right etc....

I don't disagree with that, but it is a whole new ball game with some of the power and suspensions available only to race cars.

I agree with all you`ve said.. and nothing you`ve said is in opposition to what I`ve said ;)

In extreme situations you can tell that physics sucks even in race cars just because you spent few years in the real world with real world physics :)

Another thing you could use are experiences of other people and simply common sense and understanding how car mechanics and physics work.

Or if I know how much speed some of the best real world drivers can carry through that corner in that car I can tell that if I`m able to go way faster in game through the same corner in the same car there could be something wrong with physics in that game :)

I mean you can theoreticaly make valid nonempiric conclusions (as we do all the time).
At least it is easier to say that something is wrong with physics than that it is right.

And of course our ratings are mostly based on what we thing is right and that is what we were asked (not necesarry what we like the most .. at least in my case).

Last edited:
With my 16 yrs of "SIM" experience and real racing experience I like to add my ranking:). I did attend the skip barber racing school and was also a mechanic there as well. Before all that I did race the skippy, but what really prepared me for it was GTR2, when I first drove the car I was instantly bonded, came natural. I drove a lot of the tracks in the US, Lime Rock, Mid Ohio, Road America, Road Atlanta, Daytona Road course, VIR, Sebring, Ive even got to drive on the Norisring when I was in Germany.
My personal ranking:
1.GScE- I like the track and car feedback, feel pretty connected, and the stock tracks are pretty well done to attach that.
2.iRacing- There is a lot going on physics wise, low speed grip is still questionable, but overall feel is there, just does lack slightly less on FFB, dont feel attached. But the big winner to it is the tracks, like I stated, ive driven a good portion of them and can't beat laser scanned. lacks fun factor though, a little this a little that, ie..sound, graphics, immersion.
3.RRE- In time this will surpass 2nd, Cars are just great to drive, great feed back along with the tracks specially for been scratch made, amazing work. FFB can be odd at times but that could be just me/settings. Braking is good but can be a little miss leading, some cars lock up easily, others not, but I love the feed back from the brakes too. In the end we are spoiled by the sounds, no sim really matches them. Overall wow and immersion factors are up there.
4.AC- Close 3rd but 4th for now. Cars feel a little too easy to drive, but FFB is nice, AC feels more like a console racer than sim, not that its a bad thing, look at Gran Turismo. I like the FFB on the curbs, low speed grip is what iRacing should be like, but overall feels easier to drive these cars, and the differential is a bit weird on a few cars along with gearing.
5.RFactor2- More of a piggy back of GScE but feels unfinished in a lot of areas, obviously with more progression it will work its way up . But I do like the weight transfer on the cars and the feeling of traction, braking is pretty good too, but some cars questionable.
6.Pcars- Nice graphics.

My opinion/take;)

Well I have all the sims mentioned and I race all of them at this current time so here's my list;

1. GSCE (It just feels right, both in FFB, feel and physics))

2. Assetto Corsa (Not far behind GSCE) Beautiful FFB in my opinion. Physics to die for.

3. GTR2. (The daddy and still feels superb)

4. Race 07 (Again, very good feel and great FFB)

5. Rfactor2 (very good physics, but feels unfinished.)

6. Pcars. (Hit and miss but not done yet)

7. RRE/DTM (getting there, but all feels canned if you know what I mean)

8. RBR, (One of the greatest and still a challenge)

9. F1 2013 (yes, it's a CM F1 game, but heavily modded, it feels great to me)

10. Dirt 2 (an oldie, but it just felt right)

11. ICEracing (that's what I call it, unpredicatable, terrible physics)

:):sneaky:

@shardshunt if you are going to disagree, let us know why? Let us know your opinions. ;):cool:
I disagree your choices of some of the older games for example gtr2. as someone who has played alot of the older ones and enjoyed most of them they may still be fun but there physics is by no means good i don't believe gtr2's physics are even in the same ball park as asseto corca with the exception of rbr purely because on one else has even tried to make a sim rally game (it's a pity really cause i love rally)
PS i was planning on responding but didn't have the time at the time

i created a points table comparing my sims..
2vvtd34.png

Last edited:
It works pretty well with the Howstons, and they are cars that require every bit of ffb info.

It doesn't though, that's the problem. I think many rF2 users have just adapted to using visible clues with minimal FFB at the wheel for slip-angle. Ask the ISI devs, they will tell you that it is not provided like it was in all the previous games based on the last ISI engine (rF1, Race 07, GSCE, etc.)

It's just not there, they changed the FFB method from friction to steering torque so it feels more like an actual car, but without the artificial forces to replace the inner ear/buttock feedback which the slip-angle provides.

i created a points table comparing my sims..
2vvtd34.png
Pretty close to how I would rank them but I would switch GSCE and AC - primarily because I like the tracks (more of them) and sounds much more in GSCE - especially the sounds.
I would also add a "fun" factor. While I truly like AC, I don't find myself having as much fun as GSCE and R3E. I don't know if its the environments and/or the sense of speed, or the AI.

Pretty close to how I would rank them but I would switch GSCE and AC - primarily because I like the tracks (more of them) and sounds much more in GSCE - especially the sounds.
I would also add a "fun" factor. While I truly like AC, I don't find myself having as much fun as GSCE and R3E. I don't know if its the environments and/or the sense of speed, or the AI.
Yah I don't know what it is. AC looks better and has better physics but for me r3e and gsce are so much more enjoyable and sound better.

I agree for as good/great as AC is, there is a certain sterile feeling to it at times. Like they said in the SimPit interview it is missing that " je ne sais quoi" (and I think AC feels and drives really really good).
It is that area where RRE excels - the excitement or visceral feel you get from the sounds, the better AI, and the more balanced/competitive classes.
I'm sure it will get better just like RRE is getting better but for me since I play single player almost all the time RRE is just clearly more fun right now.

Physics
1. Assetto Corsa, yes yes, r3e is far from it IMO.
2. rFactor2, pretty good feeling from it.
3. R3E(DTM)
4. Race 07(all add ons)
5. Shift2
100. I hate iracing)))
FFB:
1. Assetto Corsa -the winner IMO)))
2. rFactor2 very close to AC
3. Shift2
4. Race 07( all add ons)
5. R3E(DTM)
100. crapRacing))))

Whatever feels right TO YOU.

End of discussion.
Boo. ;) I assume you meant FFB whereas physics should be ever attemping to approach reality. FFB is the translation of the physical reality of forces in-game to the driver. While far from perfect it should be approaching what a car feels like in real life (aside from additional canned forces that can help).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back