If using vSync, should I switch my monitor from 144Hz mode to 60Hz mode?

Hi - I was wondering, if using vSync, should I switch my monitor from 144Hz mode to 60Hz mode? My 970M struggles to maintain 144fps with most sims, so is it going to be better just using vSync (I can easily get 60 fps or more in most sims), and if so, should I run my monitor in 60Hz mode rather than 144Hz? I have a Benq XL 2430T monitor.

Hi - I was wondering, if using vSync, should I switch my monitor from 144Hz mode to 60Hz mode? My 970M struggles to maintain 144fps with most sims, so is it going to be better just using vSync (I can easily get 60 fps or more in most sims), and if so, should I run my monitor in 60Hz mode rather than 144Hz? I have a Benq XL 2430T monitor.

I'd turn vSync off but in 144hz mode - it's easier to let the game do it's own thing without limitations, with an added smoothness (albeit minimal)

Upvote 0
I'd turn vSync off but in 144hz mode - it's easier to let the game do it's own thing without limitations, with an added smoothness (albeit minimal)

I've tried that, but in some sims I'm not getting good results doing that, so wanted to try out the vSync approach, but am not sure if I'm meant to put the monitor in 60Hz mode then

Upvote 0
No you don't need to change your settings to 60Hz. Btw just because your monitor is 144mhz, it doesn't actually matter that you can't get 144fps.

Can you describe the problem you're experiencing, and what titles? I'm wondering what you think vSync will help you with.

Upvote 0
No you don't need to change your settings to 60Hz. Btw just because your monitor is 144mhz, it doesn't actually matter that you can't get 144fps.

Can you describe the problem you're experiencing, and what titles? I'm wondering what you think vSync will help you with.

In Raceroom, for example, I can see the screen image "wriggling" (slightly shifting) even at around 90+ fps with my monitor at 144Hz, though it's possible it's due to an issue with my other graphics settings

Upvote 0
I really don't think the mhz of the monitor would be the cause of this. If you're GPU is rendering above 60fps, locking it to 60fps is counterproductive as you're not making full use of the ability of the monitor. You could try vsync and see if there is a difference, but leave your monitor at 144mhz.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 108 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 203 14.9%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 384 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing