1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

If using vSync, should I switch my monitor from 144Hz mode to 60Hz mode?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Metalogic, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic
    Premium

Ratings:
    +107
    Hi - I was wondering, if using vSync, should I switch my monitor from 144Hz mode to 60Hz mode? My 970M struggles to maintain 144fps with most sims, so is it going to be better just using vSync (I can easily get 60 fps or more in most sims), and if so, should I run my monitor in 60Hz mode rather than 144Hz? I have a Benq XL 2430T monitor.

2. Metalogic

Metalogic
    Premium

Ratings:
    +107
    Anyone?

3. Dan Marr

Dan Marr
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +98
    I'd turn vSync off but in 144hz mode - it's easier to let the game do it's own thing without limitations, with an added smoothness (albeit minimal)

4. Metalogic

Metalogic
    Premium

Ratings:
    +107
    I've tried that, but in some sims I'm not getting good results doing that, so wanted to try out the vSync approach, but am not sure if I'm meant to put the monitor in 60Hz mode then

5. Jeremy Ford

Jeremy Ford

Ratings:
    +27
    No you don't need to change your settings to 60Hz. Btw just because your monitor is 144mhz, it doesn't actually matter that you can't get 144fps.

Can you describe the problem you're experiencing, and what titles? I'm wondering what you think vSync will help you with.

6. Metalogic

Metalogic
    Premium

Ratings:
    +107
    In Raceroom, for example, I can see the screen image "wriggling" (slightly shifting) even at around 90+ fps with my monitor at 144Hz, though it's possible it's due to an issue with my other graphics settings

7. Jeremy Ford

Jeremy Ford

Ratings:
    +27
    I really don't think the mhz of the monitor would be the cause of this. If you're GPU is rendering above 60fps, locking it to 60fps is counterproductive as you're not making full use of the ability of the monitor. You could try vsync and see if there is a difference, but leave your monitor at 144mhz.

8. Andy Jackson

Andy Jackson
    Track Limits Marshall. Premium

Ratings:
    +2,781
    Try adaptive Sync in your graphic cards settings bud. Is your monitor G-sync or Freesync capable?

9. Metalogic

Metalogic
    Premium

Ratings:
    +107
    No, neither is the video output from my laptop, which is why I didn't get a G-sync or Freesync monitor