If Max is an early braker why is he so fast? By Peter Windsor

Max had a reputation for sliding around in corners looking for the best grip on entry. This will upset late brakers as he is setting up the entrance to turn sooner. So he is turning when others are braking. So max is smoother trhough the turn. And can block a late braker. This is what happened at Silverstone Lewis braked late. While Max was setting up his trajectory into the turn. If both Lewis and Max had the same braking point the accident would of been avoided.

Something Driver61 said in the training has stuck with me. One thing he pointed out was rather than braking a little later if you thought you might be braking early is that you can just brake a little less. It is only marginally slower to do so since it leaves a little braking potential on the table but it has the added benefit you get a less disrupted car and sometimes that can be vastly better than braking at the absolute latest ideal moment, its certainly a little easier to manage and control.

I don't really look for the absolute latest place to brake anymore, that isn't I feel the route to time mostly. Time seems to come mostly from the right line and being on the limit and higher limit generation by balancing the cars grip mid corner while maximising rotation when I want to and then catching that slide at the right moment. I am not driving a set pattern lap after lap, I am constantly assessing under/oversteer in corners and changing what I do just a little to try and compensate. By no means a master at it like many yet but it is a vastly different style to what I did before I did that training.

Last edited:
Max had a reputation for sliding around in corners looking for the best grip on entry. This will upset late brakers as he is setting up the entrance to turn sooner. So he is turning when others are braking. So max is smoother trhough the turn. And can block a late braker. This is what happened at Silverstone Lewis braked late. While Max was setting up his trajectory into the turn. If both Lewis and Max had the same braking point the accident would of been avoided.
They don't brake for copse it's a lift at most.

It's just that Lewis braked wayyyy too late. With Charles, he braked/lifted when he should've, in fact the crash was avoided

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.