Ideas & suggestions

By knowing that Sector 3 Studios (Simbin) is reading the RD forum, i was thinking of making a thread to collect little ideas and suggestions to improve things in R3E. This thread is not intended to be a discussion-thread, neither a wishlist.

So just post your ideas (preferred with concrete suggestions and examples). Big discussions aren't necessary. Give a rating to the posted idea, and this should be enough to tell your opinion about it.

Last edited:
Cars that get slow down penalty have to turn into ghosts so you can drive through them.
When you're behind such a car there's almost no chance to avoid a crash.
Please change this.

Cars that get slow down penalty have to turn into ghosts so you can drive through them.
When you're behind such a car there's almost no chance to avoid a crash.
Please change this.

I agree, but maybe ai control them. Driving through them may be too much of an advantage to the other driver...but if it is the same for all, it wouldn't matter much. Just not too realistic to drive through an opponent, but I understand the point, it may be the greater good.

Enjoying the Mustang again with the latest competition......it was the first car I bought, along with Bathurst....sort of a V8 Supercar setup. The Mustang should be moved into the GT3 category, so its not so lonely and can have some competition. Its not really a "classic", as its a modern model. I'd like to see some real classics in that class, like the American Muscle in Race 07. 70's Corvette, Camaro, Mustang and a Mopar would be nice.

I kind of love-hate the ghosts. I agree with what Ser_Renely says: it's unrealistic but at the same time a way to preserve one's race from any kind of trolling attempt or intentional crash.
Maybe we'll have some sort of control for this at a later stage. I'm thinking about running an online Get Real Championship on a dedicated sever where this feature can be turned on/off.
I'd most probably want it off : bummer if you get caught in a big accident and you are not able to complete the race, but hey, noone in real life can drive thru cars! :D

In real life, cars don't get a slow down penalty either, so 'ghost penalties' is a good way not to interfere in other people's races. I like that idea.
In DTM you can get a slow down penalty due to track limits. But you can choose on your own where you slow down during the lap. I can remember the race this year in Budapest followed by a big discussion afterwards. Check from minute 1:11:50 if you like

Choosing when to serve the slow down penalty would be great. Especially when driving a WTCC FWD car as those penalties tend to hit right in the middle of a corner and then it ends with a spin and an impact in the next wall...

In real life, cars don't get a slow down penalty either, so 'ghost penalties' is a good way not to interfere in other people's races. I like that idea.

Exactly!

In DTM you can get a slow down penalty due to track limits. But you can choose on your own where you slow down during the lap. I can remember the race this year in Budapest followed by a big discussion afterwards. Check from minute 1:11:50 if you like

I think this will be difficult to implement. I would just slow down the next corner like the dtm driver in the video did and loose almost no time. It would only work when there are penalty zones on the track, like straights.

Imo it would be possible to implement like in real. If you don't go 2 secs slower than in the lap before you get a drive-through. Maybe an extra counter could help but isn't necessary imho. This should solve that you don't lose the car suddenly when getting a penalty and you are not too much "remote controlled". The most important would be to implement some more respect and tolerance into some minds. But this should have happened much earlier by the parents ;-)

Maybe have a button i can press and the penalty will be started. But it would only make sense on fast parts of the track. If you forget to do it, the penalty will be added after the race and therefore positions lost on the leaderboard.

Still the ghost penalty is the easiest way to instantly punish for track limits, while not being the most realistic.

I kind of love-hate the ghosts. I agree with what Ser_Renely says: it's unrealistic but at the same time a way to preserve one's race from any kind of trolling attempt or intentional crash.
Maybe we'll have some sort of control for this at a later stage. I'm thinking about running an online Get Real Championship on a dedicated sever where this feature can be turned on/off.
I'd most probably want it off : bummer if you get caught in a big accident and you are not able to complete the race, but hey, noone in real life can drive thru cars! :D
A no ghosts option would be great. Then we can have more realistic crashes.

I might have lost the thread of thoughts here but I honestly think that the penalty system adopted in Race 07 worked quite flawlessly. You get warnings for cutting track, then you're given a black flag and you've to stop and go. Are we talking about a different thing?

I might have lost the thread of thoughts here but I honestly think that the penalty system adopted in Race 07 worked quite flawlessly. You get warnings for cutting track, then you're given a black flag and you've to stop and go. Are we talking about a different thing?
This is what I want too, I really don't like the ghost cars or automatic slow down penalties!
Now with pit stops coming, this should be implemented along with the other flag rules!
Could also be that the first time you cut track with a warning, you have to give up the place you gained with the cut track. (if you gained any)
If you don't, you get a stop and go immediately.

Give one warning as long as they don't pass anyone (if they pass, they have to give up that place/places), next time it happens it's a stop and go.
You wont gain that much with one cut in a 15-20 minutes long race.

And they could also add a time penalty to the results for the earned seconds, making it even less attractive to cut.

I remember that from Race07 and it worked great but on the other hand it's too easy to exploit. Cheaters will cut the track every race to the given limit.
I don't recall if it was @Andi Goodwin or someone else, but in their post was proposed a solution for "cutting" that involved the car itself. Drive on grass and not only you get penalties, but you'll accumulate dirt on tires making your car more unstable and prone to spin. Plus, you worn them out faster (with obvious consequences on your laptimes). Sounds very effective to me...

EDIT: Yes, it was @Andi Goodwin :)
[Andi Goodwin, post: 184626]

Last edited:
I remember that from Race07 and it worked great but on the other hand it's too easy to exploit. Cheaters will cut the track every race to the given limit.

Sadly this is not the only way to exploit this. I even remember people bumping me hard on purpose in the first chicane on Monza to force me into a penalty. People on public servers are ######## sometimes... ;)

This whole penalty-/flag-system-thingy is not an easy task to solve if you want to have it done in a realistic manner. The main reason for this is the fact that penalties would need to be based on judgement of the situation. And really judging a situation cannot be done by software. In the end you will always need to do some kind of automation that can only handle a good part of penalties in a good way while other situations will lead to either unrealistic or even unfair results.The worst thing for a developer is that no matter what he does there will always be a lot of customers unsatisfied with the compromise he coded.

In the end, despite the imperfections I always found the Race07 solution a quite good one. Just my 2 cents... ;)

- Adaptive AI should adapt in a single race session (ie. from practice to q1 through q3 to the race). I'm guessing it's only adapting after each race but after putting in so many laps pre-race it'd be nice to have it adapted to you already. It feels like a waste to get to the race and the AI still isn't adapted.

Sadly this is not the only way to exploit this. I even remember people bumping me hard on purpose in the first chicane on Monza to force me into a penalty. People on public servers are ######## sometimes... ;)

This whole penalty-/flag-system-thingy is not an easy task to solve if you want to have it done in a realistic manner. The main reason for this is the fact that penalties would need to be based on judgement of the situation. And really judging a situation cannot be done by software. In the end you will always need to do some kind of automation that can only handle a good part of penalties in a good way while other situations will lead to either unrealistic or even unfair results.The worst thing for a developer is that no matter what he does there will always be a lot of customers unsatisfied with the compromise he coded.

In the end, despite the imperfections I always found the Race07 solution a quite good one. Just my 2 cents... ;)
Didn't even think of this..
But that's one thing I don't like about the cut track rules, that you get warnings if you just go off track.
Not cutting or gaining, but to avoid a car / crash and have to go a bit out on the grass, or overshoot a corner..
Is it like this in real world racing??

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back