Ideas & suggestions

By knowing that Sector 3 Studios (Simbin) is reading the RD forum, i was thinking of making a thread to collect little ideas and suggestions to improve things in R3E. This thread is not intended to be a discussion-thread, neither a wishlist.

So just post your ideas (preferred with concrete suggestions and examples). Big discussions aren't necessary. Give a rating to the posted idea, and this should be enough to tell your opinion about it.

Last edited:
Heck! I'd just like it to stop shutting down my computer.
After that, I wouldn't mind a way to keep all the stuff I purchased in a neat (locker-style) order so it's easily identified.
As it stands right now, I am never certain of just what I own without clicking on cars to see the owned legend.

I'd like to see the stupid penalty for cutting the track go, since when do you lose your laptime just because you came into a corner to hot miss the apex and run wide on exit, this is penalty enough and time is lost so you already suffer due to your error, but to lose the whole lap is nothing short of ridiculous. R3E is not the only Dev to implement this, AC and Pcars have it too, although Kunos have the smarts to allow you to turn penalties off, and if you leave it on you just get a 5sec penalty for going off track. This would be a better system than wiping your whole lap, in fact the whole penalty system is wrong in R3E
EG; Zakspeed Capri, 10lap race @ Bathurst, on the last lap I hit the chase a little hot, tyres were a little worse for their wear, got wide on exit putting my right hand side onto the grass, but not completely off track, I received a stop go penalty for cutting the track, went from 1st to 5th, if this was a real life event would never have happened, how do you get a stop go penalty for taking a bad racing line, I'm baffled.

I'd like a Dev to explain why they insist on creating penalties that are not a simulation of racing, all it does is annoy the hell out of me. And I'd also like to know why Dev's insist on having grassed area's with absolutely zero grip, sure grip reduces on grass especially if it's wet, but to have barely any traction at all in dry conditions is once again ridiculous, and nothing like reality. If you want to call your title a SIMULATION then replicate real life, don't dumb it down to arcade levels where it suits you.

Just my opinion & observations.

The multiplayer cut track rules accidentally carried over to single player they will fix it calm down.(I cant be bothered quoting @Jay Ekkel so you'll just have to take my word for it)
I am calm, you telling me to "calm down" will cause me to get agitated.
I was merely expressing my thought's that the loss of your laptime rule for going partially off track in either single or multi-player is overkill in my opinion. You don't see it in real racing, so why should it be in our simulated racing, if it's a simulation your selling, keep it real.

I am calm, you telling me to "calm down" will cause me to get agitated.
I was merely expressing my thought's that the loss of your laptime rule for going partially off track in either single or multi-player is overkill in my opinion. You don't see it in real racing, so why should it be in our simulated racing, if it's a simulation your selling, keep it real.
In real racing there are stewards, these time penalties are simply simulating virtual stewards.

no race sim does it real in my opinion , id love to see real options , but i know the guys are trying to find the best solution .... but it will take time to balance it out

On the real front id love to see gravel traps that trap the car but im sure then the rest of the field and yourself are going to get angry when it gets yellow flagged , saftey car and you having to wait for a grab tractor etc to pull you out and then depending on the rules either rejoin or be dnf'd ... its really complicated to get the right balance between what is possible to do in a sim and what is real and the balancing of that ....
Do the developers add more stuff so the game sees if there was contact ; if you lifted, if you kept you foot buried across the grass etc ... my favourite solution is this ,

if you run wide onto grass the tyres become covered in crap and your lap time will suffer (generally for 1 lap after due to the crap on them ....
gravel traps , they bring you to a complete stop and you can then come out at a maximum of 5km per hour , then shitty tyres
if you cut the track and dont overtake anyone ; warning
2nd time last warning
3rd time drive through

if you cut and over take some one , then the game does slow you down until that person has passed you then 1or 2 seconds slow down as well +shitty tyres

if you cut :then overtake and cross finish line before the slow down can take effect the 30second penalty to finish time in sp and dnf in multi

But all of this is probably a coding nightmare so i dont know ; id be happy to live with shitty tyres and drive throughs for third instance etc

but this is just me and my opinion

Andi

@Andi Goodwin
Thank you, someone who see's Race Sims in a similar light as I do, and I agree with much of what you said, but I believe the Dev's have the ability to code these features. Not the pace car intervention, but yellow flags circuit wide is fairly basic to do, have the server take control & just slow all cars down to a default speed of say 80kmh, same as when you pit in R3E, the game takes control of the pit-stop. If I remember right quite a few older Sims have AI pit-stops as an option. It would then put you back in your spot if your were hit in the rear, but if no contact was there, or you hit someone from behind, or stuck it the sandtrap, you start from the rear of field with a repaired car. I'm sure they could code this for multiplayer as well as single player, and seeing as this is a suggestion & ideas thread, there's my suggestion, is Sector 3 Studios up to the challenge?;).
Even if it's to tell me I'm "off my rocker" :roflmao: I'd be happy with a reply :D

Cheers

- AI Respect/Aggression slider

I'm currently going through a DTM-E championship now that FFB is tolerable and one thing that grinds my gears is it's impossible to race *with* these AI. You can only really race if you're way out in front. The AI will inevitably ram your bumper through a corner if you're racing tight. They'll nudge your backend on a straight and spin you. It's crazy. It's worse than the most malicious iRacing human drivers. So you can't really enjoy a sense of accomplishment when you have to lead from lap 1 and never contest your spot.

- AI level based on skill not artificial things like acceleration or top speed.

It seems to me the AI is artificially limited not by 'intelligence' but by poorer car specs. I can continually pass AI who are already in front of me on straight even though I should have no more acceleration or top speed than they do.

It'd be great if AI level was really based on how humans behave and make choices on a track while actually driving.

The adaptive AI might make this better (although I doubt it) but I've heard the limitations of adaptive AI in another thread and it's too frustrating to deal with. When I first tried it out I was ahead of the pack by a long shot so the game decided I was a pro I guess and made all the other AIs pros too and I had no chance after that on lap times not to mention the aggression of the ai really kills any tight racing.

Last edited:
- AI Respect/Aggression slider

I'm currently going through a DTM-E championship now that FFB is tolerable and one thing that grinds my gears is it's impossible to race *with* these AI. You can only really race if you're way out in front. The AI will inevitably ram your bumper through a corner if you're racing tight. They'll nudge your backend on a straight and spin you. It's crazy. It's worse than the most malicious iRacing human drivers. So you can't really enjoy a sense of accomplishment when you have to lead from lap 1 and never contest your spot.

- AI level based on skill not artificial things like acceleration or top speed.

It seems to me the AI is artificially limited not by 'intelligence' but by poorer car specs. I can continually pass AI who are already in front of me on straight even though I should have no more acceleration or top speed than they do.

It'd be great if AI level was really based on how humans behave and make choices on a track while actually driving.

The adaptive AI might make this better (although I doubt it) but I've heard the limitations of adaptive AI in another thread and it's too frustrating to deal with. When I first tried it out I was ahead of the pack by a long shot so the game decided I was a pro I guess and made all the other AIs pros too and I had no chance after that on lap times not to mention the aggression of the ai really kills any tight racing.

If you haven't already you might want to take a look here. ;)

just like we can change the seat position, it would have been nice to be able to adjust the steering wheel up and down.
In some cars I like to have the seat quite high, and then the wheel is blocking the dashboard..

This is mostly frustrating in cars with a built in gear display, cause I'm the kind of guy that don't like virtual hud, maps or things like that disturbing my immersion!
In older cars I use the simple gear hud.
But in cars I can, I would rather be able to move the steering wheel out of the way from the real display.

The coding is not an issue. If the game can detect people cutting corners, etc., then it can keep track of offences and issue penalties with very minimal server-side coding. The 'flag system' used in Touring Cars is easy to implement also, with 'driving standards' flags appearing on screen as a warning.

I think that free test drive for all available cars was one of the best ideas that came to Dev's heads and I think it will earn them substancial profit. Currently I'm struggling to not spend more money for racing at least until next paycheck, but i feel that I may be losing this fight as Radicals are so ridiculously good driving experience, and sound of Cougar C14/1 are just pure eargasm. One thing I would wish for test drive, would be changing the test track, as current one is outdatet and doesn't fit well between new content.

As for suggestions for game features, i wish there was "look to apex" option available in camera setup, just as it is in Race 07. It was working wery good for people with just one screen and without head tracking.

Also, I would like to see "lock view to horizon" option as it is in Assetto Corsa, as for me it is the most natural way that driver's eyes camera can behave. Without it I get nausea in some cars (like DMD P20) and it just doesn't seem right because it does not consider stabilization of view that comes from driver's eyeballs movement and brain functions. While driving real world car horizon is not shaking this way no matter how bumpy the road would be - only cockpit is.

Last edited:
-"In car" adjustment of FOV for every car. And don't lock the camera positions at a certain point. Let me position the cams freely in or outside the car.Including look left/right camera please.

-A tool to monitor tyre heat, suspension etc.. At the moment it's hard to setup without it.

-A spotter function, noticing me if cars are next to me. It would be completely enough to just make an arrow appear on left or right. Will be very helpful for single screen users.

-A spotter function, noticing me if cars are next to me. It would be completely enough to just make an arrow appear on left or right. Will be very helpful for single screen users.
No arrows! I hate distracting virtual things on the screen, interrupting my immersion..

But a spotter voice like in iRacing would be sweet!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back