1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

I3 OR I5 Set up Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Russell Dent, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Russell Dent

Russell Dent

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear people

Im looking for sum advice on upgrading my current pc system up to a I3 or a I5 depending on the Money side i ave a few questions :-

I prefer using Asus Motherboard cause i find them easy to build with.
    Do i use a Micro Atx or Full Atx board
    I ave a Antec 1200 Gamer case with a H50 cooling.
    But I ave no idea What A gud I3/I5 Motherboard is?
    Whats the different between the p55 chipset and the h55 chipset ?
    Is it true that the I3 cpu is the new duel core chip and the I5 is the new Quad core.

My Budget is £300-£350max but i need the motherboard Ram and Cpu for all that, thank you I hope you lot can help.

2. Martin Vrba

Martin Vrba

Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Russell,

it doesn't really matter, but I prefer full-size ATX boards so the components have a bit more room... I usually only use mATX boards in HTPCs...

H55 was primarily designed to be used with only onboard GPU and i5 CPU (except 750/760)... but again, it doesn't matter because better H55s too have 2 PCI Express x16 slots (like P55s)... I recommend Gigabyte boards (bought quite a few of them this year and didn't have a single issue), but ASUS is not a bad choice either :)

not exactly... all i3 and i5 CPUs are dual cores, ONLY i5 750/760 are quad cores... these 2 are very desirable, since they are basically identical to i7 CPUs, but they are cheaper and you can also use cheaper LGA1156 boards... HIGHLY recommended :good:

if you have any other questions, please ask :)

3. Douglas Aird

Douglas Aird
    Premium

Ratings:
    +51
    I bought an Asus P7P55D Pro for my first-ever self build back in January and have had no problems with it. Bios was easy to set up, I haven't felt the need to overclock but there are plenty of options available. When I built it the i3 wasn't out so I went with the i5 750 which I'm very happy with.

I've just been checking on Overclockers and that mobo doesn't seem to be available now - nearest equivalent would be this one (£105 inc vat) -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-389-AS

Main difference is that my mobo supports both Xfire and SLI. :)

Core i5 750 at Overclockers = £155

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-299-IN

The memory I bought doesn't seem to be available now but these are similar and cost £76 (I went with OCZ modules) -.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-203-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1517

£105 + £155 + £76 = £336 but you could probably find cheaper by shopping around. I bought my components from Overclockers and Novatech and have had no issues with dealings with either company.

Good luck. :)

4. Kevin Barnes

Kevin Barnes

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the i5 on a gigabyte M with the H55 set and have zero complaints, this thing is a screamer. Inside are 6GB of mem and I'm using the chips internal video "card" (stretch that word) and I have no complaints about the graphics, games...

I run all the popular race Sims and also Adobe CS5, dreamweaver, all with out the slightest glitch.

5. kikie

kikie

Ratings:
    +21
    Some of you have had more luck with Gigabyte then me. I have had 2 Gigabyte motherboards that broke down and I wasn't even gaming on it. My pc has been in the computer store for more than 4 months now to replace the Gigabyte motherboard and the broken AMD processor. It took Gigabyte 3 months the replace a broken motherboard that was still under warranty. I'm still waiting for the processor to be replaced.

No more Gigabyte and AMD for me. My next motherboard will be Asus.